Dialpad Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Dialpad

2.9

People Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dialpad (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Impressive and efficient process. I am in recruiting and have seen the best and the worst of interview processes and methodologies. I can honestly say that Switch was impressive. One of their internal recruiters reached out to me on LinkedIn and we set up an initial screening call. It is rare to find a recruiter that is able to dig deep into your background while maintaining a comfortable and approachable demeanor.

We scheduled an onsite and I got to meet with members of the People Ops team - the nicest and most professional team! For my last onsite with the CRO, the team was incredibly hospitable. They gave me a tour, were sensitive of my time and even made me a to-go lunch plate.

Overall, the team really went above and beyond to make it an enjoyable and enriching interview experience. :)

Interview Questions

• Describe some challenges in your current role? What are some things that you are looking for in terms of your long term career goals?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Dialpad.

Interview

Pretty standard - technical phone screen, 'take home' coding challenge (which shouldn't take too long), then on-site. Nothing too crazy about the questions, typical algorithm stuff, OOP, and project experience.

Interview Questions

• I was surprised to see some dynamic programming, but it wasn't too tough   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Dialpad (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Initial interview with recruiter, then a take home test, followed by on site. The take home involved dynamic programming. The on site interview was only with 2 people where the first asked for coding of binary tree problem.
    I did not feel any personal connection with my first interviewer and clearly did not answer as well as I know I am able.
    Discussion with the second person revolved more about solving a specific technical issue. It felt more like fishing for solutions to a very difficult problem.
    They said that they were interviewing a few people for the position. I did not get an offer, but feel like it would not have worked anyway. and the messes in the kitchen and bathrooms made it feel like a group of undisciplined hackers.
    My conversations with the recruiting team were good, and the interview experience was great for a different company where I have accepted an offer.

Interview Questions

• Determine if a given tree fulfills all requirements to be a binary search tree and write code to test.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dialpad (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Process was super smooth. A couple of phone screens with engineers on the team I was to be working on. Then an on-site loop with 3 interviews capped off by the hiring manager selling me the team and the company.

Interview Questions

• Standard algorithms and data structures. Nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dialpad (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Applied on LinkedIn, got contacted almost immediately by recruiter to set up a phone screen. Phone screen went well, then they issued a "homework assignment" technical programming question that same day, asking me to code a solution for the problem in any language and send back to them for review, with no apparent time limit. I sent in a solution to the assignment the following morning.

This is where it went downhill. The recruiter got back to me very quickly, asking me to fix a single test case that my code solution did not pass. I submitted my revised solution later that day. The following afternoon after my second solution submission, I get a generic rejection email from a reply bot (not the recruiter) claiming they weren't going to follow through with me any further, with no mention of the status of my second submission results. Still haven't heard back from a human at the company about any more news or clarifications after 3 days (and counting). This was odd given the quick initial response for my first submission, as they could clearly run my solution setup very quickly given a modicum of dedicated time. I felt this was moderately disrespectful given the time I had put in to solving their take-home assignment not once, but twice.

Even if they clarify with a response in the future, I think it's still worth stating that this company may go cold on you for a while with unexplained reasons if you apply and take their initial assignment. It's mostly reasonable if they are considering other candidates for the same position, but not answering your emails for a while after initially responding to you quickly and frequently is a good cause for alarm.

Interview Questions

• Take-home assignment: string parsing problem regarding unique number combinations, moderate-hard difficulty depending on your coding level.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dialpad (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

I was assigned a screening code test. The recruiter was initially responsive and gave me the assignment. I had questions about it. No response. I stated my assumption because the sample data resulted in one case duplicates and in another multiple results where one was desired. I questioned the language. No response. I coded it in C# and stated assumptions in the code. Finally get a response about C# and using "any other language" which is supported on Linux or Mac OS. I ask if Java is okay. I get vague answers (the recruiter is a rookie) who tries to be an intermediary between the developer and myself and really just gets in the way. I don't get answers about my assumptions. Finally another response, yes. I code the solution in Java instead and send it over to the recruiter. Radio silence. I had to send 4 emails seperately on different days before I finally get a response, "this is not what they were looking for". I'm a pretty good coder and do well in these situations, but the recruiter made this a really painful process and broke the golden rule of just sitting on responses. Shame, I was really looking to learn more about Dialpad and serious about my application, instead I had to deal with flippancy of the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Coding challenge which was pretty easy. String manipulation.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dialpad in September 2018.

Interview

Applied online, then scheduled two phone interviews. After the second one the recruiter didn't get back to me at all even though I messaged him twice. Such a waste of time.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

My interview process ended with the second round of technical phone screen. They reached out to me at first, and before my second round interview I switched recruiter 3 times. After the second round of technical phone screen it took them 6 days to get back to me even though I checked in with them 2 times. Then my recruiter rejected me and said he would be willing to answer any questions I have, I told him I'm very surprised because I had a really good time with my interviewer and asked him for any feed back. The recruiter didn't respond ever since.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was referred by a current employee. First, 'background' phone call with a recruiter. Then, 2-hour (first hour technical background, then Coderpad) technical phone interview with a current engineer. Both recruiter and engineer were very professional and helpful. Overall pleasant experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dialpad (San Francisco, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

1. 1 OA
    2. 2 Phote interview
    3. Oniste in SF

Onsite has 3 rounds, two tech and one design(Calculator). I thought I had a good talk with the last one but it seems he wanted something different. I just tried to give a brief and functional working design in 40 mins but I guess he wanted more. But I don't see what he can see from the 40 mins and said I won't be a good fit since other rounds of feedback are good.