Direct Line Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Direct Line Group Interview Questions

Updated Mar 7, 2017

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dickson, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Dickson, TN) in December 2011.

Interview

The initial contact was via online application. From that point it involved a 1:1 with the owner-president and then followed by a 1:1 with the VP of sales.

Both meetings took approximately 90 minutes and were followed up with additional interviews that were similar. There were no skills tests or background investigations prior to the offer. I confirmed that information from my previous employer.

Interview Questions

• How will you ensure the sales staff stays on target with production?   Answer Question
    • You'll be essentially a project manager for our largest customer who's onsite. How comfortable are you with external management and daily, high, customer demands?   Answer Question

Very disorganized. The owner was more interested in wanting to know what others thought about him (in a negative way) and the VP of sales was difficult to get any feedback from (a salesperson, yep, right).

All in all the environment needed major overhauls and the good ol' boy mentality of paying management more rather than spreading pay to improve a structure was in play. They both openly spoke negatively about their entire staff's compentency and the future of the company.

I have sympathy for employees working there and they have no idea......

UAC Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Bromley, England (UK)).

Interview

The agency contacted me to arrange a suitable time for an interview. They called me the same day to provide a couple of options to which I agreed a time and a date. Getting to the location was easy. And feedback was provided the next day.

Rescue Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Leeds, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

After my application for Customer Service Advisor was accepted I had a telephone Interview around a week later, where I was told that the role I wanted had gone, but they had another available (which I was fine with).

The woman interviewing me was really friendly and asked me what I knew about the company as well as some competency and situational questions. It was easy even for my first interview and I passed and got lots of positive feedback and description of the face-to-face interview.

At the interview a week later, I asked at reception for the person on my confirmation e-mail but was instead greeted by a young guy who took me for a quick tour around the call centre, which is really modern and has good atmosphere. We then went into the interview room where I met another unexpected interviewer. He wasnt the jolliest of people but as we got talking he did crack a few smiles and the interview itself went well, with questions about the core values and competency questions in relation to those. I was also asked about what I knew about the company, so definitely do some research, they seemed to be really impressed with my knowledge.

The role play is where it went downhill, as I got a little confused about what information I was supposed to ask for from the customer and so broke out into nervous laughter and paused a few times. I could tell from then that I had probably ruined my chances but I just thought i'd use it as a learning curve!

The interviewers told me I would have to wait for up to 7 days for an answer, but it would likely be 2 or 3. I waited 14 days in total and after calling the recruitment team 5 times asking for an answer, the lovely main recruiter finally rang and told me I was unsuccessful and why! Overall an OK first interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question
    • If there was a new employee on your team who wasn't hitting their targets, what would you do?   Answer Question

Feb 6, 2017 – Recruitment Marketing Analyst

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding our recruitment process. We are always looking for ways to improve and your comments will be taken on board.

Process and Standards Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Bromley, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

The first interview was a competency based interview in the Bromley building. The 2nd interview with a different person was a face to face technical\skills based interview. There were several questions that related to the Direct Line values and aims and a number of questions that were role\skill specific to test out my experience and capabilities in the role. It was a very professional interview, well organised and the communication with their HR department was very good and very helpful both to prepare for the interview and for the rest of the process after the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to work with Direct Line and how do I feel about their values. Their values are listed on their web site so I had reviewed them prior to the interview.   Answer Question

Feb 15, 2017 – Recruitment Marketing Analyst

Thank you for taking the time to review our recruitment process. We love to see that you've had a great experience with us!

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ipswich, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Ipswich, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

A couple of days after applying online i received an email informing me of a telephone interview. I found the telephone interview a good experience, the person i spoke to seemed to want to help and wanted me to get through to the next stage, easy common interview questions, put lots of detail in your answers. At the end of the call i was told i had passed that stage and i would receive an email confirming a face to face interview. When i arrived for my interview it was a different person that i was told to ask for, dressed very casually which didnt look very professional for somebody conducting an interview. I found the questions to be quite hard for someone that hasnt ever worked in that sort of job before. The interviewer was also really rushing to get through. The script i was given for the role play didnt explain things thoroughly which again made it hard as i havent worked in sales before. Very quick tour at the end i was shown two floors from the doorway. No feedback given was just told i would hear back soon.

Claims Handler Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Direct Line Group.

Interview

After submitting an application online I was notified by email that my application was successful and that I am invited to partake in a telephone interview.
    The Interiviewer was great; very friendly, polite and profesional.
    The interview was competency based and asked of examples when dealing with difficult customer, when you've been set targets a to meet, when you've recieved good customer service and why was it good service

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Direct Line Group?   1 Answer

Jan 30, 2017 – Recruitment Marketing Analyst

Rescue Claim Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Leeds, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The whole process was pretty quick. I applied for the job and within a day I was booked in for a face to face interview for the following week.
    Once at the interview I was asked about personal goals and career goals.
    The interview was very relaxed and the ladies interviewing me put me at ease as they were lovely and not scary power tripping managers. The competency based questions were followed by a small role play of a call which happened to be face to face rather than an actual call. The whole experience was fine and enjoyable. Within an hour of the interview I was called and informed id received an offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you've worked together as a team   Answer Question
    • Can you name a situation where you've had to investigate into a customers issue/query   Answer Question
    • Name a time you've delivered exceptional customer service   Answer Question

Mar 2, 2017 – Recruitment Marketing Analyst

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ipswich, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Ipswich, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

To begin with there is a telephone interview and then you get to go to their office to have a face to face interview.
    The telephone interview went well I thought but it's difficult to judge as there are a lot of long silences so you feel like you have to fill the time.
    The face to face interview is much more relaxed. I was made to feel very welcome. Spent just over an hour talking with a manager called Adam and then had a short role play where I had to try and stop a customer from leaving.
    He wrote down a lot of what I was saying but still managed to keep in the conversation.
    I learned a lot more about the company in the interview and he seemed proud to work for the company which was encouraging.

The questions were experience and situational based which was good.

I felt overdressed as the dress code is very casual but the interviewer said it is because they want the people there to feel comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you have made someone change their mind.   1 Answer

Mar 3, 2017 – Recruitment Marketing Analyst

Thank you for taking the time to review our recruitment process. We love to see that you've had a great experience with us.

Claims Handler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Bromley, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Telephone interview, followed by Face-to-face interview, which included a role-play exercise. Prepare well for the interviews by researching Direct Line's values and brands, and the process is a lot more enjoyable.

Interview Questions

Direct Line Group Response

Dec 29, 2016 – Recruitment Marketing Manager

Fantastic to hear about your experience at Direct Line Group. Thank you for taking the time to review us.

Customer Service Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Bristol, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

First up was a telephone interview on the Thursday, and the young lady on the line was very personable, enabling a very much free-flowing conversation. I passed this, and was told i would get contacted back within the to arrange the 1:1 interview . I had to chase it up the following Monday, as the start date was imminent, I was assured I'd get a call back before the office closed. Nothing. Tuesday I rang back, waited for a call back which came late in the day, and interview was booked in for the following week, as the start date had been pushed back.

I turned up for the interview to be met by someone who wasn't the interview contact, dressed extremely casually, and not really suited to the situation. I understand having a less strict dress code, but for senior staff, some standards should be applied. The whole process with the two interviewers was friendly and informal, and didn't last as long as I had expected, but was actually rather pleasant.

Two days later I had an offer, and that's where the real problems began. The online vetting system that they use is clumsy, and full of errors when attempting to upload scans of documents they require. The back up email address in case of problems was helpful, although it didn't seem to connect up well with the process as I was sent two further email links to the online system asking for all the info again, despite speaking to HR about the problems. For example I was asked for copies of my ID, despite these being taken at the interview.

The background check seemed to be a complete farce, as the goalposts kept getting moved, in the week before the start date 28/11/2016. Despite digitally signing the contract offer via their systems, I was sent a second - no start time, or info about the first day. I was still being given the run around up until 1300 today 25/11/2016 as to whether or not I was starting on Monday or not.

Thankfully, I had a back up offer from another company in the same field, so following the DLG call back at 1300 I confirmed the start with that company on Monday, who are literally down the road from me, and who actively sought me out via my online CV.

Not a good experience overall. Very stressful, very messy.

Interview Questions

• Time you met targets and how you achieved these?   1 Answer

Dec 5, 2016 – Recruitment Marketing Manager

We're sorry to hear you have not had the best experience during our recruitment process. We are always looking for ways to improve and your comments will be taken on board.