Epic Games Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.4

1. Featured Interview

Senior Engine Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Games (Cary, NC) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online, two phone screening calls, a take home test, then on site interview, whiteboard session then lunch with employees and 45 minutes interviews with other groups.

Everyone was very friendly and seemed very talented, Epic seems like a great company, the office space looks amazing and UE4 is the best engine in the world. I had to refuse due to immigration policies that required me to move to Guildford, UK for a while before transferring to HQ, after looking at the costs of the area and the salary I was offered I was back to living in a studio, not an Epic problem just a UK problem.

Purchasing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Games (Cary, NC).

Interview

The best words I can use for the process are: delayed and unprofessional. I was contacted by a recruiter, who scheduled a phone interview with me. She proceeded to reshedule it three times. Perhaps she was trying to see how flexible I could be, but I am a professional, and I had to take time away from work to participate in my phone interview. By changing it on short notice (she didn't postpone until the same day as the interview each time), I had to scramble to change my schedule. I understand when someone is sick, but the interview should have been handed off to another recruiter if the original one couldn't do it.

The interview itself wasn't anything out of the ordinary once it finally took place. I was asked to go over my resume, and the recruiter went into the benefits of the company. The only question I had never heard was "do you play video games?", but I expected that from a video game company. At the end of the interview, I was told I would be moved along to the next step in the process, which would be a conversation with the CFO. I was promised I would hear something by the end of the week, even if the CFO decided to pass. After the interview, I sent a follow-up email thanking the recruiter for her time. The end of the week came and went, with no contact from the recruiter. Monday passed as well, still no contact. On Tuesday I decided to reach out to them to check the status of the process. I called, and had to leave a voicemail for her. I left a short and professional message asking for a status update. Within 10 minutes, I received a poorly worded email from the recruiter indicating I was no longer being considered. Her email indicated I was not qualified for "any position within Epic Games". This same recruiter told me I was a good fit for the position based off my experience during the phone interview, and she did nothing to indicate I wasn't qualified, especially since she was moving me along in the process. Also, there was no apology for the delay in communication, which I believe would have been the very least she could have done considering the situation. I know several people in recruiting and HR, and the single most used word I've heard from them after letting them read the turn-down email was "unprofessional".

Honestly, I waited a few weeks to leave this review so I would have a clear head about it. My advice to Epic is they should realize and appreciate when a professional takes time away from his/her current work, regardless of the outcome. Epic should have a better system for passing off interviews as needed. Lastly, they should keep their word when they promise something, even if it's as simple as a promise to contact an applicant.

Interview Questions

• Usual questions: Tell me about your experience, what do you know about the company, etc.   Answer Question

Programmer/Physics Simulation Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Games.

Interview

Applied online and got a questionnaire for at home. I worked on that for a few days. Some of it was programming, some was reasoning and answering in essay style. I submitted it and shortly after that they declined. I never actually talked to anyone. They didn't give me a deadline and didn't say what their criteria were. After I submitted my answers and realized I could improve them I asked if I may do that, they said sure, I sent them an update, then they said they generally don't accept revisions. While I don't expect anyone to accept revisions they could have just told me that.

Interview Questions

• They had a mix of technical and the weird type of manhole cover questions. I found the questions geared towards tripping you up. One question seemed to indicate a binary search, but that turned out to be the wrong approach. You have two XBoxes and a 100 floor building. If you drop the XBox from a floor it either shatters or it doesn't. How do you reliably find the highest floor from which you can drop your XBox? Both XBoxes can break in the process. How many trials does your approach take in the worst case?   5 Answers

Engine QA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Games.

Interview

Was in an interview process for about 4 weeks. The interviews went very well and seemed to mutally exciting. They seemed really excited about bringing me on. Eventually they told me i had the job and they asked when i could start. I told I had to put a 2 week notice in for my current job and they so the start date. They brought me in to do paper work to finalize the deal which i did and everything again was fantastic. On the last day of my 2 week notice they withdrew the offer. Which left me unemployed with 2 kids to raise.

Interview Questions

• What would I do if i went to a soda machine to put my money in and someone said dont bother it is broken. How would I resolve that problem   Answer Question

QA Tester Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Epic Games in March 2016.

Interview

The first interview was very simple and didn't have a lot to do with specifics. The employer asked some basic questions about my experience and my education. They then went into a segment of explaining what game I would be testing if hired, and asked a little about my knowledge of the game. The interview was about 30 minutes and was pretty easy.

IT Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Games (Cary, NC) in December 2015.

Interview

Interview process is lengthy and thorough. I was referred through a recruiter. Unfortunately, I did not get the position. Total process from first phone interview to final decision was about 3 weeks (This was during the Christmas season)

The first contact you'll have is with Emily (Phone). She's extremely pleasant and reasonably technical. She will go over your resume with you and ask non-technical questions about your job history. She will also ask if you're familiar with Epic games, what kinds of activities you do outside of work, and ask about why you want to work at Epic. Emily is very professional, and she's very clear about the position's requirements.

After Emily, you'll speak with the manager of your Department (Phone). In my case, that was Eli, the IT Director. Eli is more technical, and will dive deeper into your previous experience and qualifications. This phase did not include any specific technical questions, only requests for further elaboration on the technologies you have experience with. He will also probe you about familiarity with other technologies that are likely used at Epic.

Finally, you'll speak with a number of members that will be your co-workers (Google Video Call). I spoke with an IT Systems Engineer and an IT Security Engineer. These engineers will ask for more detail about specific aspects of your resume, and ask questions designed to test your knowledge. These questions can vary based on your responses, but generally they'll try to ask difficult questions for areas that you claim to be strong in, and lighter questions on areas that you claim to be weaker on. These guys are smart, and this final phase of the interview is the most stressful. I felt like they were measuring technical knowledge as well as cultural fit.

Overall the process is fairly long, and very in depth. Epic prides itself on finding the perfect person for each position, and they're willing to be patient to do that. While I was ultimately very disappointing that I did not get an offer, I have a great appreciation for the amount of effort and care that goes into the process. I was given constructive feedback after their decision was made, and I hope to be considered again in the future for a similar position.

Video Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Games (Cary, NC) in August 2015.

Interview

Whole process took about 2 1/2 weeks. My contact was very responsive and I never waited more than 2 or 3 days to hear back about the next step. After I'd submitted my resume I received an e-mail within a couple of days to set up a phone interview with a recruiter, which was very pleasant. I heard back a few days later that they wanted me to come to the office to meet the hiring manager. Everyone was very friendly and positive, which only made me want the position more! They told me I would hear back soon.

Within another few days I was asked to come back to meet with 5 different pairs of people from different departments I would potentially be dealing with. I was told this would take around 3 1/2 hours. Again, everyone was quite friendly and, while it certainly was a tad overwhelming to be interviewed over and over in such a small span of time, I found the overall experience to be just fine, as well as extremely efficient. I also was given the specifics about benefits before I left. I was told again that I would hear back soon. I left after being in their office just under 4 hours.

I did not get an offer, but the entire interview process was quick, painless (besides not getting an offer, of course) and one of the better ones I've been a part of, which only made it worse when I didn't get it! I'm hoping to be considered for a position in the future.

Interview Questions

• What did you think of the "Batman v Superman" trailer?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Epic Games.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter and spoke a few times before getting a set of written interview questions. Had about a week to work on the written interview questions and submit responses. Following the written portion, spoke on the phone with a pair of engineers in a phone interview. Did not proceed further than that in the process.

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Games (Cary, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

Contractors are screened by VOLT workforce solutions. After you pass a preliminary screening through them, you are set up with a final interview with employees from Epic.

The entire process takes about 2-3 weeks. If you are chosen for the position, your VOLT rep will contact you, not Epic.

Interview Questions

• What experience in HTML5/CSS# do you have, give an example of how you have used these technologies.   Answer Question

QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Games (Cary, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

First I did a phone interview and then I did an in-person interview. The phone interview took about 30 minutes. The in-person interview took about an hour. There were a few people who interviewed me and all were really nice and cool.