Epic Games Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Senior Engine Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Games (Cary, NC) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online, two phone screening calls, a take home test, then on site interview, whiteboard session then lunch with employees and 45 minutes interviews with other groups.

Everyone was very friendly and seemed very talented, Epic seems like a great company, the office space looks amazing and UE4 is the best engine in the world. I had to refuse due to immigration policies that required me to move to Guildford, UK for a while before transferring to HQ, after looking at the costs of the area and the salary I was offered I was back to living in a studio, not an Epic problem just a UK problem.

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Epic Games (Cary, NC) in January 2018.

Interview

I was first contacted by email letting me know they were interested in speaking with me. A recruiter screen took place, followed by a hiring manager call. At the conclusion of the call, the hiring manager expressed interest in bringing me in for an on-site. They made arrangements and were extremely accommodating to travel plans. The travel coordiators were always in contact making sure everything was still on track. They were considerate of my obligations and justs made it flow.

Epic went out of their way to make me feel welcomed the moment I stepped off the plane.

The entire day was just classy, it was well put together. I did not feel rushed through each interview. It was a very human experience. At the end of the day I was talked about next steps, and questions about relocation came up. Conversations about salary requirements were not awkward or uncomfortable. Everyone was just classy the entire day. One of the big things that stood out to me was asking how my family felt about the possibility. I know moving to a new city with a family is always a big consideration, but it was genuine interest.

Interview Questions

• If you could change the name of [redacted] what would you change it to, and why?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Games in January 2015.

Interview

First applied through my university and get talk to one of the HR and then HR email every candidate an coding test. After that, people pass the coding test, there is a phone interview with two engineer from the Epic game team, and then they will decide to hire you or not.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between different data structure, e.g. List, Array, HashTable.
      When you won't use virtual destructor.
      How is virtual function implemented.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Epic Games in July 2018.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me through LinkedIn, and we arranged a time for a quick call to discuss my background and next steps. Afterwards, I was told I did not meet the experience qualifications for the position.

While I appreciate not wasting my time and ending the process early, it seemed rather disorganized to take the time to reach out to me if I do not have the needed experience. It's not like there was anything I said in the call that wasn't also available on my LinkedIn page.

Software Test Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Epic Games (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

It was a comfortable and easy process for the most part. Was a straight forward interview with no off the wall questions. Got the job offer two days after my interview.

IT Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Games (Cary, NC) in December 2015.

Interview

Interview process is lengthy and thorough. I was referred through a recruiter. Unfortunately, I did not get the position. Total process from first phone interview to final decision was about 3 weeks (This was during the Christmas season)

The first contact you'll have is with Emily (Phone). She's extremely pleasant and reasonably technical. She will go over your resume with you and ask non-technical questions about your job history. She will also ask if you're familiar with Epic games, what kinds of activities you do outside of work, and ask about why you want to work at Epic. Emily is very professional, and she's very clear about the position's requirements.

After Emily, you'll speak with the manager of your Department (Phone). In my case, that was Eli, the IT Director. Eli is more technical, and will dive deeper into your previous experience and qualifications. This phase did not include any specific technical questions, only requests for further elaboration on the technologies you have experience with. He will also probe you about familiarity with other technologies that are likely used at Epic.

Finally, you'll speak with a number of members that will be your co-workers (Google Video Call). I spoke with an IT Systems Engineer and an IT Security Engineer. These engineers will ask for more detail about specific aspects of your resume, and ask questions designed to test your knowledge. These questions can vary based on your responses, but generally they'll try to ask difficult questions for areas that you claim to be strong in, and lighter questions on areas that you claim to be weaker on. These guys are smart, and this final phase of the interview is the most stressful. I felt like they were measuring technical knowledge as well as cultural fit.

Overall the process is fairly long, and very in depth. Epic prides itself on finding the perfect person for each position, and they're willing to be patient to do that. While I was ultimately very disappointing that I did not get an offer, I have a great appreciation for the amount of effort and care that goes into the process. I was given constructive feedback after their decision was made, and I hope to be considered again in the future for a similar position.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Epic Games (New York, NY).

Interview

There is an initial call with HR staff member then another with someone you'll be working with. This could possibly be your manager. Then if they both went well you are asked for references and invited on site for in person interview day. This was 6 hours and included lunch. You meet with 10 people in 5 sessions of 30-45 mins. Then you either come back for follow up or a decision is made.

They take hiring veey seriously and all 10 people who interview you have a say in the hiring decision.

Senior Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Games (Cary, NC) in May 2009.

Interview

Submit resume, 30 minute Phone interview, Programming test, all-day onsite interview with long formal technical/whiteboard portion at the start. ~30m followup interviews with small groups for the rest of the day. Finish with HR discussion. Callback within a few days.

Interview Questions

• The technical interview is grueling as you field all of them at once instead of once per interview session like many others. Come well rested, well fed and ready to think critically.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Epic Games.

Interview

Applied online and quickly received an email that I would be contacted within two weeks or probably not at all. Two months later I was contacted by a recruiter. After having a very pleasant phone call was asked to do a programming test and return it within a week. However the test was for a build engineering position and had nothing to do with the qualifications listed in the job posting. I did the test anyway and never heard anything back from the recruiter. After a month or so of waiting, I withdrew my application.

Backend Engineer Interview

Interview

First the H.R. emails you that they like you but they want you to do a exercise before inviting you. I have provided their questions down below. I think you should not even apply for this company because this type of exercise is based on selecting acceptance of whatever the manager or engineers want and not based on what your answers are. I am very sure my answers were correct because these questions are very easy to find online if you replace the Xbox with egg online ! Anyways don't waste your time with this company. Managers want to hire a specific person they have in mind but they like to still post the job and find some excuse to justify not hiring you. So, as soon as you hear/read the word do an exercise on your own time that's the time you should say no thank you. (don't get me wrong if they do it online with one of their engineers that's fine...that's how Google, Microsoft and Amazon does it but these guys are just copycats and don't know how to find real talents).

Interview Questions

• Questions:

1. You have been given 2 special, extremely rugged Xboxes. You are in an office building that is 120 stories high. Using the fewest possible number of drops from windows in your office building, determine the highest floor you can drop an Xbox from and have it survive: for example, they might be able to take the drop from the 30th floor, but not the 31st. You can break both Xboxes in your search. State the worst case number of drops needed and explain how you arrived at that answer.

2. You have a very popular mobile game that supports a variety of multiplayer modes. To help players decide which game mode to play, the game will perform two API operations:
      1. The game will report in which region and mode it is being played.
      2. The game will query the current most popular game modes for the region in which the player is located.
      To standardize the lookup of regions, the game will use 2 letter country codes (ISO 3166) to represent a region.
      Your task is to design RESTful web service to support this functionality which will easily scale to millions of concurrent users. Your design should include, but is not limited to:
      • A REST API specification (end points, input parameters, and output)
      • A service layer design
      • A persistence layer design (at a minimum should contain class diagram and how the data is being persisted)
      • An explanation of how your design will scale to handle millions of concurrent users

Note: Please respond using Java. We're looking for a detailed, high level design (including the class diagram). We're not looking for actual implementation.

3. Write a function that, given a matrix of integers, builds a string with the entries of that matrix appended in clockwise order. For instance, the 3x4 matrix below:

2, 3, 4, 8
      5, 7, 9, 12
      1, 0, 6, 10

would make the string “2, 3, 4, 8, 12, 10, 6, 0, 1, 5, 7, 9”.

a) Given your solution, how would you verify the correctness?

4. Write the code for the following function, without using any built-in functions.

String itoa(int value, int base);

Where value is the integer to convert, and base is octal, decimal, or hex.   Answer Question

Epic Games Response

Feb 12, 2015 – Director of Recruiting

I'm sorry you're experience with our screening process didn't match up with your expectations of how this should have worked. We take a lot of pride in trying to be as transparent as possible and... More

Tools Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Epic Games in February 2013.

Interview

They emailed me a programming test to take before proceeding with a phone screen, or in person interview.