Fund for the Public Interest Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 12, 2017

1.9

Director Fund Raising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

On time, personalized and interesting. The interview was scheduled quickly and interviewer called on time. The interviewer was courteous. I received several emails notifying me of the interview time days before the interview. Overall it was well coordinated and scheduled.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to talk about my previous work experiences and how it relates to the current position I applied for. I was also asked about my passion for public interest issues and how my previous work experiences prepared me for the job role I applied for.   Answer Question

Telephone Outreach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (Portland, OR) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process for this company is very strange. Once you fill out an interest card online, they will contact you almost immediately (I contacted the same day). I had a brief conversation regarding my interest in the company and an overview of that "The Fund" does and stands for.
    The first interview is basically an informational meeting, where the interviewer tells you about him/herself and what "The Fund" does. You will also fill out an application and receive documents to take home and fill out. These are tax forms and company policy forms. The first interview took only about 30 minutes.
    The second "interview" is a what they refer to as a working interview. It lasts roughly 4 hours. You will, again, here about what The Fund does and how it operates. Essentially, you get a crash-course in telemarketing and practice reading the script.
    Then, you spend roughly 30 minutes listening in to an experienced employee make phone calls using the system. You switch roles with the trainer, and the trainer listens in as you make calls of your own. Then, for the last hour/hour and fifteen minutes of the "interview," you make your own calls independently of your trainer.
    At the end of the interview, you are hired or rejected depending on whether you received any donations during your calling time.
    -------
    If you are considering interviewing, do not. The interview is not a test of any other measure besides whether you can get people to make donations. The behavior I witnessed by the other callers honestly surprised me, and it seems like getting donations is partly luck, partly extreme pushiness.

Canvass Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview

I was referred to the Fund after a positive interview experience with their sister company, Impact. I submitted a number of documents and applications DIGITALLY for Impact, so they had all that information stored on a database somewhere. For those not familiar, Impact and the Fund share the same parent company USPIRG. Something I was very clear about in my Impact application and two interviews was my location preference: Hartford, CT. I was moving to this city, and looking for a job, and Impact appealed to me because they had offices there. I was told at my Impact interview (which went very well, was in a group setting, and I got a one-on-one interview with the Director, which many people did not) that there was a position open in Hartford. When I was referred to the Fund, I assumed it was for this position. I schedule a phone interview and have a 30 minute conversation. During the conversation, I notice a lot of repeat questions (informational, not behavioral) from Impact, and alarm bells go off. At the end when they ask my location preferences, I realize how incredibly poorly organized this organization is. I explain my experience and how I was told of a job opening in Hartford, and the girl simply says, "Oh, well, the Hartford office is only open part-time of the year." The conversation ended after this as it was clear they did not have an open position for me, but before I hung up, I asked if she had any of my files from Impact, who studiously recorded EVERYTHING, and the answer was no.
    Long story short, very unorganized company that does not keep track of all the information they gather.

Interview Questions

• Questions were super easy, mostly they wanted to determine your interest in committing to a low pay low reward job for a good cause.   Answer Question

Canvasser/Field Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

All of the candidates were collectively given an overview of the history of the Fund for the Public Interest and its involvement in the advocacy for LGBT+ rights. Afterwards, we were pulled in one by one where we were interviewed by a member of the team. It was early on a Saturday morning, so much of the staff was out canvassing at the time. I came in to find out more about canvassing, but was offered a position as a field manager on the spot.

Interview Questions

• What is your leadership experience, and how will that translate to this position?   1 Answer

Field Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (Chicago, IL).

Interview

It was an informational interview. They started by explaining their organization and campaigns. Then they told their personal experiences and why they chose to work for the fund. They they asked you questions about yourself. Then you can ask questions.

Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (Bellingham, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

I was told to show up to a room on WWU's campus. I was told briefly about the Fund, then taken for an individual interview. During the interview, though I did not realize this at the time, I was lied to multiple times. At the end of the interview, I was offered a job as a field manager. This was not the job I was offered when I began working for the Fund.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if someone said they didn't know why canvassing was important?   Answer Question

Canvasser Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview

Someone call you first to see if you qualify some how in the job environment. You then go to a group interview where someone gives all of us a summary of what we would be doing. Then we are called one by one.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you dealt with someone that was difficult and didn't not want to hear you out.. Something like that.   Answer Question

Assistant Canvass Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (Philadelphia, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

One in-person interview with a canvass director and a skype interview with a regional director. Both were rather simple, with only a few brain-teaser type questions. The first interview was very basic behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Q: What makes you feel you would be well suited to this job?   Answer Question
    • Q: How would you sell a conservation effort to Trump supporters?   Answer Question

Assistant Canvas Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest in February 2017.

Interview

Only took about two weeks. Applied online and then had a phone interview. Shortly after that, I had a skype interview, and shortly after that, I received an offer. A few days later, I spoke with the hiring manager to review my offer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

There was a 30 min group overview session, then fill out an application and write a little essay on the back, while you wait to be called. when called there is a 10-15 min interview.