General Atomics Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 3, 2017

2.6

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

It was a technical interview that was focused on C/C++ with some questions about Object Oriented Programming concepts. The interviewer was patient and offered clarification on questions. They called on time and it lasted about 30 min.

Interview Questions

• How many values can you get using an unsigned byte?   1 Answer
  • How many heaps are there with 5 threads   1 Answer
  • What problems can arise from using multiple threads and only one heap?   1 Answer
  • What is 20 dec in Hex?   1 Answer
  • How would you toggle a bit? Without altering the rest of the data?   1 Answer
  • Linked List vs Array. What are they? Which is better for storing data?   1 Answer
  • What are prefixes to functions to declare if they can be used by other classes or not?   1 Answer
  • Override vs Overload   Answer Question
  • What does the Static keyword do to a field or function?   Answer Question
  • What is Inheritance?   1 Answer
  • What would you get if you AND a Hex A and a Hex 5   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for General Atomics

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview

The first step was a phone interview asking me simple technical questions. If you pass that, then they invite you for an onsite interview. The whole process was fairly quick.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview

Initial phone interview then moved to an on-site interview. My phone interview was more technical and approximately 45 minutes. Onsite was mostly behavioral with some technical. Met with HR, a group of engineers, and had a programming assessment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got a phone interview. I did a phone interview with a panel. He recommended me to a different team so I had to re-do a phone interview. Got an on-site interview.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview with General atomics, which was very pleasant. The interview basically revolved around questions from things that I put on my resume. Things like skill level in a particular programming language, and how I would go about solving a problem with a framework that I had experience in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with general questions on .NET knowledge and past job experience.

On-site interview that consisted of a meeting with a manager who gave a general overview of the company, what they do, and what they're working toward.
    After the meeting with the manager I had a meeting with about 5 developers who watched me solve coding problems. This was for an entry-level position, so they were fairly easy.

I would have seriously considered an offer from this company, they definitely had a good culture and they I felt like I would fit in pretty well there. I didn't have time to wait to see if they were going to make an offer because they took too long to decide and I got an offer from a different company that I liked a little more and that had a shorter commute.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that returns the nth Fibonacci number.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online, received a call from HR a few days later. We set up an on-site interview that was to happen in a week from the phone call. The interview process was about 3 hours long. I met with everyone on the team that I would be working with one by one and then finished with a tour of the research facilities.

Received my offer a few days later.

Anonymous Employee in Rancho Bernardo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (Rancho Bernardo, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

First and only interview was over the phone. Was asked to go over information on resume, and then asked a couple of technical questions which were not too difficult. HR contacted me a week later letting me know they were interested in hiring. Overall the process was not difficult, and they seemed to be more interested in if I understood basic concepts rather than intricate details.

Interview Questions

• bit manipulation question: if we want the second and fifth bit of a number how do we extract those bits?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

The process was fairly easy. I had the initial phone interview and then they flew me in to their facility in San Diego.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics in June 2009.

Interview

After making contact through a neighbor that worked at the company, I was invited to for a short phone interview with a non-technical human resources rep. After two weeks of waiting, I was invited in for an hour long panel interview, including a test of C programming knowlege. The test was fairly difficult, but I learned that the goal was not necessarily to pass, but to be able to work with the interviewers to reach a satisfactory conclusion.

Interview Questions

• I was given some programming code, and asked to find errors, and to determine the final answer. Since it is a standardized test, it would be unethical for me to divulge more information than that.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Since they are a government contractor, I believe they are fairly limited on their salary ranges. It is worth pushing to get about 10 percent more than their initial offer, I believe.