General Atomics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Atomics Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2017

2.9

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview

The hiring process was well-paced with a friendly atmosphere. I was scheduled to meet with several people, 2 groups specifically. I was also invited to eat out and enjoy some great mexican with them.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

It was a technical interview that was focused on C/C++ with some questions about Object Oriented Programming concepts. The interviewer was patient and offered clarification on questions. They called on time and it lasted about 30 min.

Interview Questions

• How many values can you get using an unsigned byte?   1 Answer
    • How many heaps are there with 5 threads   1 Answer
    • What problems can arise from using multiple threads and only one heap?   1 Answer
    • What is 20 dec in Hex?   1 Answer
    • How would you toggle a bit? Without altering the rest of the data?   1 Answer
    • Linked List vs Array. What are they? Which is better for storing data?   1 Answer
    • What are prefixes to functions to declare if they can be used by other classes or not?   1 Answer
    • Override vs Overload   Answer Question
    • What does the Static keyword do to a field or function?   Answer Question
    • What is Inheritance?   1 Answer
    • What would you get if you AND a Hex A and a Hex 5   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview

The interview was very informal however, they were very professional over the phone. I was referred by an employee so that kind of made the processes a lot smoother. I look forward to working for them.

Structural Testing Engineer Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview

Had a phone screening and the following day set an appointment for a face to face interview. Since it was an entry level it was for the most part behavioral questions. Nothing too out of the ordinary. Really friendly people.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for a phone interview about a month later. After that, I was scheduled for an in-person interview 2 weeks down the road.

I thought the interview went well. It was supposed to be with 3 interviewers but one didn't show up. It lasted about 90 minutes and didn't get too technical. Had more "describe a situation when..." type questions, in addition to general descriptions of the position. At the end they said I would hear back within a week.

2 weeks later, and they were "waiting on a proposal." 4 weeks after that, I was informed that the position had been cancelled. Disappointing end to a 3 month process, but what can you do?

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation where two experts are giving you different solutions to the same problem?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to work with someone who was being unreasonable.   Answer Question

Department Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I was contacted over the phone, and offered an interview. The three tiered interview was scheduled and sent to me via email. The HR rep backed out (and never interviewed or spoke with me as she said)the day of which left me with only two interviews that day. First I met the team I would be working with where they explained a very different role than I applied for online and expected basic requirements not listed in the description. I was caught a bit off guard seeing as the job description was quite different than the position being offered. The whole 'entry level' thing seemed to be a mislabel. I then met with the manager for the role who was in a similar boat, asking me to write computer coding on a white board after I very clearly noted that I can use a computer but have no knowledge of the inner workings or technical experience.

Interview Questions

• Whats the most recent project in which you used pivot tables in?   2 Answers

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics (Palmdale, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

The most archaic and disrespectful treatment. Their interview process method makes no sense and a waste of everyone's time. They send a link to the candidate to fill out and request 5 references before the candidate has a chance to go to an interview. While I was gathering my references, they decided to reject me although they request references. The only interview I had was with some 'firing squad' pre-screener recruiter who doesn't want the candidate to ask questions. Right now, I'm kissing the ground and thanking God, I didn't go to work for this firm.

Proposal Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I went through two (brief) phone screens with the initial HR recruiter and then hiring manager. After this, I received an email stating that they were interested in speaking further with me in person. I was then flown out to California, where I was put up for a night right around the corner from their office. They were willing to work with me through this process to find the best day and time to fit my schedule and offered a few different options. During the actual interview, I met with three different people, including the HR representative, the hiring manager, and a manager from a different department that would be working closely with me. Each time slot was carefully managed and prepared for, and was a good amount of time with each person- not too long but not too short. They were all willing to answer any questions I had or speak to me again if anything else came up. It was all a positive experience as far as interviews go!

Interview Questions

• Tell me why you want to work for our company.   1 Answer

General Atomics Response

Sep 6, 2017 – Systems Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review about your interview experience with General Atomics and affiliated companies

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics (Poway, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

The only positive part of the interview process was the HR/travelling part. The actual software panel of 3 that interviewed me were a little unprofessional and condescending. First I was scheduled for an hour interview with them and then another hour for an assessment but the interview abruptly ended when two of the interviewers left in the middle while I was writing my code on the board by saying "oh we have to go to this thing" and the 3rd interviewer did the same thing shortly. I didn't even get to take the assessment. It just seemed they were uninterested the whole time even though I was answering their questions well and politely. The HR representative was very kind and on time, but the technical interviewers need to be more professional and at least pretend like they care.....Maybe it was just this team I interviewed with that were being like this so I can't speak for the whole company but overall negative experience. I've never had interviewers leave before completing the entire interview, shows complete unprofessionalism.

Interview Questions

• A bunch of coding problems that weren't hard but they expect you to have perfect syntax while writing on a white board.... which I thought was weird, I always thought how you would go about implementing something was more important than syntax so just make sure you know exact syntax..   Answer Question

General Atomics Response

Sep 6, 2017 – Systems Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We appreciate the feedback and regret that you had this experience with General Atomics and affiliated companies. We will share this information... More

Associate Project Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics in August 2017.

Interview

It was the standard two step process, phone then in-person interview. Phone interview was nothing out of the ordinary, just gauging qualifications. Flew out to the in-person interview a couple weeks later. First talked to HR about benefits, then talked to a panel that consisted of people I would work with, and then spoke with the hiring manager at the end. It was a mix of technical and ability questions, both to determine knowledge level and figure out how you solve problems. I found the entire process very professional and I got along great with the team. Unfortunately, they came back with an offer that was WAAAAY below my minimum amount for the SD area and would not budge. I hate for it to be about money as everything else was fantastic, but there was no way I could live with my family on that offer.

Interview Questions

• Hiring manager asked me to write out a flow chart for a previous platform I had worked with. Nothing too difficult and he didn't care about the technical information so much as my ability to convey information and think on my feet.   Answer Question