General Atomics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 21, 2017

2.9

Software Development Engineer-II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

This interview was with General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc. specifically. I went to an information session about the company on a Thursday at the University of California, San Diego (where I recently got my Masters). They were holding a series of interviews the following Tuesday and I was given a time of my interviews on Monday. There were two interviews back-to-back: each were 90 mins with. Each interview had two interviewers which were interviewing for their specific team. After the interviews I spoke with the "Talent Acquisition Specialist" about how things went, when I'd hear back, which team I preferred to work for, and was lead through a two-page flyer about their benefits. As I was about to walk out the door I was met with the hiring manager who told me that they'd like to extend an offer to me for the team that I chose. I received the formal offer the following Tuesday although I was previously told I'd receive it the Friday or Monday after my interview, so it came a little late, but before I reached out to them. I was given three days to accept the offer. At the time of this writing I haven't decided on the offer yet because I have a competing one from ViaSat.

Interview Questions

• Given bytes "A" and "B" whose bit representations can be written as "0101X110" and "1Y011001" write a function to take in bytes "A" and "B" and return true if bits "X" and "Y" are the same or return false if they are not the same. Assume the 1s and 0s in "A" and "B" are arbitrary.   2 Answers
    • Given a string in c++, return true if it is a palindrome or false if it is not.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview

I had talked to someone at my university career fair and received an email from HR about two weeks after to schedule an interview. I had one phone interview with the hiring manager with some technical questions as well as behavioral.

Desktop Support Technician II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (Palmdale, CA).

Interview

Interview process consisted of a phone interview with a recruiter to go over my resume and an in person interview with the Desktop Support supervisor and lead. The questions and test seemed below average Desktop Support level, so it was very simple.

Interview Questions

• What does DNS stand for?   1 Answer
    • Explain a time when you had to work as part of a team to resolve and issue.   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview

The hiring process was well-paced with a friendly atmosphere. I was scheduled to meet with several people, 2 groups specifically. I was also invited to eat out and enjoy some great mexican with them.

Interview Questions

General Atomics Response

Oct 18, 2017 – Systems Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review about your interview experience with General Atomics and affiliated companies.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

It was a technical interview that was focused on C/C++ with some questions about Object Oriented Programming concepts. The interviewer was patient and offered clarification on questions. They called on time and it lasted about 30 min.

Interview Questions

• How many values can you get using an unsigned byte?   1 Answer
    • How many heaps are there with 5 threads   1 Answer
    • What problems can arise from using multiple threads and only one heap?   1 Answer
    • What is 20 dec in Hex?   1 Answer
    • How would you toggle a bit? Without altering the rest of the data?   1 Answer
    • Linked List vs Array. What are they? Which is better for storing data?   1 Answer
    • What are prefixes to functions to declare if they can be used by other classes or not?   1 Answer
    • Override vs Overload   Answer Question
    • What does the Static keyword do to a field or function?   Answer Question
    • What is Inheritance?   1 Answer
    • What would you get if you AND a Hex A and a Hex 5   1 Answer

Technical Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Received a call from HR for the phone interview, then was set with an on-site interview with HR and 3 managers from the department. 30 minutes with each, they shared a lot of information allowing questions along the way. I felt comfortable that I understood what the job entailed. Later was sent information for a skills assessment. They were very good about staying in touch and called each week to let me know where they were in the process.

Interview Questions

• I don't think there was a difficult question, it was more about how my skills matched and what they were looking for with information about the day to day job.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I interviewed in October 2017. It was a phone screening and the interviewer was polite but kept cutting me off. She asked me about my experience and basic OOP concepts. Overall positive experience.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview

The interview was very informal however, they were very professional over the phone. I was referred by an employee so that kind of made the processes a lot smoother. I look forward to working for them.

Structural Testing Engineer Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview

Had a phone screening and the following day set an appointment for a face to face interview. Since it was an entry level it was for the most part behavioral questions. Nothing too out of the ordinary. Really friendly people.

Department Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I was contacted over the phone, and offered an interview. The three tiered interview was scheduled and sent to me via email. The HR rep backed out (and never interviewed or spoke with me as she said)the day of which left me with only two interviews that day. First I met the team I would be working with where they explained a very different role than I applied for online and expected basic requirements not listed in the description. I was caught a bit off guard seeing as the job description was quite different than the position being offered. The whole 'entry level' thing seemed to be a mislabel. I then met with the manager for the role who was in a similar boat, asking me to write computer coding on a white board after I very clearly noted that I can use a computer but have no knowledge of the inner workings or technical experience.

Interview Questions

• Whats the most recent project in which you used pivot tables in?   2 Answers

General Atomics Response

Oct 18, 2017 – Systems Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We appreciate the feedback and regret that you had this experience with General Atomics and affiliated companies. We encourage you to reach out in... More