General Atomics Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 1, 2017

3.4

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview

first the phone interview and then in-person interview. awesome people to take phone interview and amazing in-person interview team. they welcomed with a good introduction to themselves and then went into interview questions. made me feel comfortable.

Interview Questions

• about OOP concepts and execution and when have I used it   1 Answer

Jun 2, 2017 – Systems Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review about your interview experience with General Atomics and affiliated companies.

Other Interview Reviews for General Atomics

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Email/phone call from HR asking to schedule a phone interview. The interview is about 30min; the first 2/3 is questions about your resume (past experience, languages, projects), the last third is their standard technical screen which you can find on Glassdoor. Assuming you pass the phone interview, you're brought on-site. The on-site starts with a quick information session with an HR rep that's mostly just about the company and their benefits, then an hour long interview with a panel of 3 engineers, then an hour-long coding session in C. The panel interview was mostly about past projects you've done - be prepared to give specific answers to how you contributed and problems you faced. The coding problem had to do with parsing an array of unsigned chars and following some specific logic depending on the values you saw. Total time between first applying online to getting an answer after the on-site was about 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• What was a specific technical challenge that you had to solve in order to finish this project?   Answer Question

Jun 2, 2017 – Systems Administrator

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

One phone interview then one onsite that lasted about 4-5 hours including a 1 hour technical assessment. Great planning/organization on HR's part and all expenses are paid for the interview process.

The technical assessment consisted of some very easy multiple choice questions and a problem that requires coding in Linux. The problem was incredibly confusing at first but is actually quite easy if you take the time to understand what it is asking.

Study common coding questions and structs in C.

Side note: even if you don't get chosen for a particular role, they can refer you to another department or group that may choose to interview you as well, and it will be a much faster process since your assessment is already on file.

Interview Questions

• Easy stuff like how many bits in a byte, what's missing from this code, etc.

For the actual coding part, study structs if being tested in C!! Memory management important as well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

20 minute phone screen with HR/basic questions, 45 minute technical phone screen then 2 hour in-person coding exam and resume look over. Received an offer next day and accepted within 2 days.

Interview Questions

• Asked a fair amount about real time operating systems. Also in person interview had a standard coding on the projector question.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (Poway, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through a staffing agency and had a phone screen a week after. Two weeks after that I had an in person interview at their HQ in Poway. I had a panel interview with 4 members of the team I would be working with. They were pretty nice and the technical questions weren't too difficult.

Interview Questions

• Questions about C, memory/pointers, some object oriented design questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Interview process was generally the same as others have described. Phone interview with a software lead who will ask a string of standard coding questions, followed by a coding assessment sent via e-mail. Was brought on-site for another technical/behavioral interview. The on-site coding assessment was very fair; as someone without a degree in software/computer engineering, it was doable. Anyone with a software related degree should have no problem. Being a defense company, it was surprising that it took several weeks to process a background on a candidate with a clearance when they use JPAS as does the military. Nearly every employer will extend an offer contingent upon passing background. Fair salary offer and unrivaled benefits (including pension and 401k). Will strongly consider the company in the future.

Interview Questions

• See past questions regarding heap/stack, pointers, etc. On-site assessment will most likely vary between interviews, but know how to use pointers well and manipulate strings.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview

Phone Interview followed by onsite interview. The phone interview questions are the ones listed here. Onsite interview was a panel interview followed by a C programming test. The interview was disorganized, as they were late. They seemed uninterested and were just going through the motions during the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Biwise shift operations...etc for the phone interview.
      Onsite: Tell me about your projects   Answer Question

Dec 16, 2015 – Systems Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We appreciate the feedback, and regret that you had this experience with General Atomics and affiliated companies.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Atomics (Poway, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Interview was straightforward with technical and behavioral questions BUT if you haven't brushed up on the basics for any language you will have a hard time. Unfortunately for me who does not do well in timed and rapid fashion answering environments, this turned out to be harder than expected. Experience does play a key in the interview because they ask if you had any experience prior to applying. On the other hand, the interviewer was polite and reasonable with me since I had trouble and gave me advice rather than scorning me for the basics. I was later given a pretest to answer and the questions weren't too bad but like I said, and word of advice, relearn the language prior to applying for any software position.

Interview Questions

• What is volatile (in C) and why would you use it when you communicate from software to hardware.   Answer Question
    • What does the operating system do when you call a function. Need a full explanation.   Answer Question
    • What is static (in C) and why would you use it in the program?   Answer Question
    • If you have a byte with a hexadecimal 0xFF, what is the value in decimal? Also, if you shift it 4 bits to the right, what would the decimal value be?   1 Answer
    • How many bytes does int and char take up in memory.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process is pretty straightforward. I only had one phone interview which was both technical and behavioral. The manager I spoke to was friendly and seemed pretty laid back and was actively trying to keep the interview professional and yet seem like a conversation at the same time. A few days later, HR reached out to me and said that they'd like to continue the process which involved me sending in 5 references and them doing a background check on me. After everything checked out, they said they'd extend an offer to me sometime in the middle of March and my offer would be contingent on my GPA and a drug test.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview

Phone Interview. Recruiter could not tell me if its was discussion only with manager , or will be a technical interview with a Panel. There were 3 people (including manager). No Introductions from their side except their names. Seemed rude & unprofessional. Manager asked me to introduce my background . Once I was done, asked the team to ask questions. There were very specific product related questions down to program / Functions , flag variables level. Answered tons of the questions correctly, & for some I explained the approach not specific answer. Not sure if the interviewer was a contractor trying to save his job.. For someone with many many years in the industry, I have never seen such specific questioning. Seemed more like they were going thru motions to eliminate. Manager told me that recruiter will get in touch with me , although I doubt it.