HD Supply Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at HD Supply

2.5

1. Featured Interview

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HD Supply in February 2019.

Interview

Very friendly staff and straight forward interview. Mostly behavioral. They want to see you are a good learner and are eager to always find something to do. It was a good experience and the company has a very strong culture

Market Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HD Supply (Denver, CO).

Interview

Applied and was contacted for a phone screen by a recruiter, which was done with the Sales Program / Regional Sales Manager and lasting a total of about 30 minutes of what was mostly standard interview questions and insight into dynamics of the role. Then was subsequently interviewed on-site at the Denver Office by the Rocky Mountain Regional Manager for about an hour in what was more of a dialogue of aligning interest rather then a stereotypical interview.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Why do you think you would be a good fit for the position? How would you describe yourself?   Answer Question

Government Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HD Supply (New York, NY).

Interview

Had one initial phone interview with a Recruiter, followed by a phone interview with Prospective Manager, another one with a Prospective Colleague, another one with the Director, then finally an in person with the Director and Prospective Manager. Submitted references through their portal, got the run around for three weeks from Prospective Manager (would not return my calls, only sent emails) until finally I left a message for the Director. Received an impersonal email from Prospective Manager that said "sorry we went in another direction" with no real feedback whatsoever. Feedback after all FIVE interviews was great at the time, with assurances after the final interview they would get back to me early the following week. The whole process took over two months with nothing to show for it.

Assistant Transportation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at HD Supply (Columbus, OH) in December 2019.

Interview

This started as a 3 phone interview and 1 in-person interview the 4th interview was a 4 way phone call interview including me. The 3 day interview process was really good and swift and then the 4th interview was strange because the hiring team did not look at my 1 page resume at all and i heard the team asking for my resume as i joined the call to be emailed to them. first question to me was if i have hired anyone and i told them my manager and i do that and they asked if i have fired anyone and i told them no and they brought this question back 2 other times during the interview which put a bad taste in how the operational culture is at HD supply(i was confused if i was interviewing for a transportation role or ops manager role) . I told the interviewer that we have not fired anyone but had some truck drivers resigned but our drivers are culturally aligned and an asset. I spoke about a training i issued my drivers to improve the process and The interviewer used that against me and accused my drivers for stealing (i told them about our process and how it was just a variance and not stealing) and they asked why i did not write them up. this really bothered me because they were nit picking my interview and really showing some signs of bad cultural atmosphere at HD supply. I also told them of a whole territorial planning process which i implemented in less than 2 weeks and the interviewer was like that not hard and i called him out on that. I just got very uninterested after the third question and we ended up arguing through most of the questions which was very unnecessary and i realized the people interviewing either don’t know jack about transportation or they want the transportation assistant to wear the hat of an operations supervisor, manager and transportation at the same time for way less pay which will put you in a 15hr/day shift and alot of drama.
    I just clicked no offer because I just cant imagine working with this team.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current job
      Is this your first job?
      How do you motivate a team that push back ideas
      Tell me of a situation when a driver complained of a pain point
      When did you go above and beyond for a customer
      What big project did you handle
      Tell me about a time you improved a process
      tell me about a time you worked with other departments to drive results
      How many drivers do you have
      How many supervisors do you have
      Are you currently at your job or not   Answer Question

Event Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santee, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HD Supply (Santee, CA) in November 2019.

Interview

Had a super easy and casual phone interview with HR. HR passed me onto the team I would be working with. I scheduled time to come in and meet with the team. I had a great time with each individual and they were very respectful, accommodating, curious and knowledgeable. I left feeling super good about it. I was then asked to come back for a "culture check" casual in-person meeting with the team. I drove 55 minutes in traffic to Santee to meet with them at Starbucks for 25 minutes. It sort of felt like I was on a panel, but I feel like I handled it well and I really enjoyed sitting with them and talking about non-work related things. I sent my thank yous following the meeting and expressed how excited and interested I still am. I believed I fit in and they agreed. And ultimately what ended up happening was they ghosted me and I never heard back from them. Disappointing experience in the end and I truly believed that after all I committed, I deserved at least an update with either decision.

Interview Questions

• What do you look for in a manager?   1 Answer

Operations Manager Receiving Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at HD Supply (Kent, WA) in October 2019.

Interview

This process started with a phone interview with a recruiter, 30 minutes, then a phone interview with the General Manager, 30 minutes, then onsite interview with the General Manager, 1.5 hours, then onsite interview with the Regional Ops Mgr, and Regional HR Mgr, 1 hour. Just before completing this lengthy and time consuming process, I was told that they were actually looking to hire for an Operations Manager Shipping for their shipping department, a swing shift position with later hours, This was a 'bait and switch' approach that they used just to get applicants who are as almost as desperate for a job as they are to fill their numerous open positions. After interviewing, I was told there would be a follow up call for my interest in the shipping position, a position I didn't originally apply for, the following week. The GM followed up with a call and asked if I was interested in the Operations Manager Shipping position, a swing shift position, and I said that it wouldn't work for me. Over a week later, I received a very generic email that said I am no longer being considered for the position. Please note that this company requires 5 work references, 2 from former managers or supervisors, managed by a 3rd party company. You have to continually pester former colleagues and managers to respond to this survey in order to advance in the process. This practice is totally unprofessional and places the entire burden of references on you, instead of the hiring manager or HR. If this company had been truthful in what they were truly hiring for, I wouldn't have put my references through this unnecessary process and wouldn't have wasted so much time and energy.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to help with retaining employees?
      How have you helped to promote and mentor your direct reports?   Answer Question

Inside Sales - Multi-Family Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Braunfels, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HD Supply (New Braunfels, TX) in August 2019.

Interview

Phone interview and then about 2 weeks later asked to come in for in-person interview with 2 managers. In-person interview went great. I was asked questions regarding my experience with sales and customers. The described the products and the position. I asked what the next step was and it was to hear from HR. They said that they had a current opening. Sent thank you notes to both managers for the interview and expressed my interest. Still have not heard a response one way or another. Disappointed that there has been no feedback one way or the other.

Interview Questions

• Asked how I have handled customers in the past and my sales process.   Answer Question

Outbound Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at HD Supply (New York, NY) in July 2019.

Interview

Long!!! 2 phone interviews, 2 face to face and still waiting my fate. Typical by the book ?'s around 10 (be prepared).. I got tired of the process and decided to drop out out the running

Inventory Control Manager Interview

Interview

Started with email exchange with recruiter on qualifications and job expectations. First interview with recruiter that was free form and very engaging. Recruiter was down to earth and provided good answers. Second phone interview was with hiring manager and contained both structured and free form questions.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at HD Supply (Chicago, IL) in June 2019.

Interview

Easy to speak to, Simple questions but important.
    If you qualify and know what you are talking about will be a very average interview.
    Talked about past exerience, why leaving a current job, etc.

IT Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HD Supply (Orlando, FL) in June 2019.

Interview

Call with recruiter, then call with hiring manager.....ghosted after that. Not even the courtesy of a 'no thank you' Very unprofessional. The least you could do is update the website....and dont promise to call when you dont.

Interview Questions

• About experience They wanted to know about history, things I need in past roles   1 Answer