HDR Interview Questions | Glassdoor

HDR Interview Questions

Updated Jan 12, 2018

2.5

Project Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HDR in December 2017.

Interview

The interview started with a phone call with the recruiters and then with the office team followed by a trip to visit. The whole process was the most professional interview process I have been involved in. They really have it down to a science and shows why they are so successful at grabbing the best talent on the market.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience and tell us about yourself and your goals.   Answer Question

Water/Wastewater Engineer-In-Training Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at HDR (Tucson, AZ) in November 2017.

Interview

The interview was very informal and easy going. Straight down to brass tacks on what my experience was and the type of person I am outside of work. I first met with the area managers, then had separate interviews with the two senior project managers. Each of the interviewers seemed the most interested in who is was as a person and what my passion was than anything else.

Interview Questions

• What drives your interest in this position?   1 Answer

Transportation Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HDR in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online, got a call for a phone screen 8 days later. They scheduled me for a video interview for the following week since the job was in another city. The questions were good and made me think, the interviewer was very receptive to my responses. They asked for supplemental materials, which I provided ASAP since they wanted to make a decision soon.

A week went by before I heard anything, then they asked for my references and scheduled me for a call with the practice leader to talk more about the job and what would be expected of me. They contacted my references the same day I provided them, which I thought was a good sign. It ended up being down to me and one other person. After that last call, they told me they would let me know shortly.

6 weeks later and I never heard anything, and I had to accept a job offer elsewhere since I couldn't count on this position. I assume they selected the other candidate and just never notified me. I didn't appreciate this part of the process, as they had told me they wanted someone to start ASAP and rushed me at the beginning of the process and kept asking if I was willing to relocate. Communication seems to be a problem with this corporate environment. I don't know that I will ever apply for a job here again.

Interior Design Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HDR (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter via email. We spoke on the phone for about 30 minutes where they asked about my experience and interest in working with HDR. Afterwards we coordinated an in person interview with the director and manager. Because of their busy schedules the in person interview took some time to actual schedule, about a month. The in person interview was intimate and relaxed, no intimidating tactics or anything like that. I felt like we could talk for longer but both interviewees had a hard stop because of other meetings.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with HDR?   1 Answer
    • How many years of experience do you have in design & specific programs?   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at HDR (Portland, OR) in August 2017.

Interview

I was brought in through a staffing agency for temp-to-hire position. The first interview was with the hiring manager. She elaborated on what the job would entail and asked about my professional experience to see how well it matched with what they needed. I was also given a proofreading test as that is an important element of the role. I was invited for a short second interview with a Sr Project Coordinator and HR. Their questions were more about my work style preferences.

Interview Questions

• In proofreading, are you comfortable calling out something that *may* be incorrect?   1 Answer
    • As a new person on a team, how do you get teammates to trust you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HDR.

Interview

Went through several rounds of interviews etc. and then never heard back from the recruiter/company

I found out they filled the position when I logged into the career portal.

It was disappointing to see the lack of follow-up considering the size of the company and how long they've been around.

Interview Questions

• What are your greatest accomplishments?   1 Answer

Electrical EIT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HDR (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

I applied online and 2 weeks later was contacted for an interview. I was interviewed by the section manager and a senior engineer. Not many technical questions, most questions were about your experience in the industry. I got job offer with relocation assistance after 2 weeks.

Senior Bridge Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HDR (Sacramento, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview in the beginning with the hiring managers and then I was asked for an in person interview. The interview was easy with typical questions. They paid for travel expenses.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself?
      2. Why do you wanna join HDR?   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at HDR (Denver, CO) in April 2017.

Interview

Obviously weren't interested in the moment they saw me. I had quite a few contacts, was more than qualified, extensive experience. I quite frankly think it was ageism/insecurity. It was like the minute they looked at me - it was um. Nope. And then didn't make ANY effort whatsoever to even try to seem interested. They read off a sheet in a bored voice asking questions. I tried everything to get them to warm up. Nada. I will eat my resume if they didn't end up hiring someone 25 and under. I wrote a thank you, reached out, and never heard a response. Follow up is terrible. I think their HR dept based some where else would be horrified. Whole thing was very "whatever" and a waste of my time. Stop hiring for someone that looks "just like you" or that you "aren't threatened by" etc. Really humiliating experience. I work with so many other HDR execs and I am now sure to tell them what a horrible experience I had just interviewing.

Wastewater Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at HDR in April 2017.

Interview

It was a pretty easy-going interview three people within the Water Department asked me questions about how my current teamwork experience and experience using certain programs could help the company.