HDR Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 9, 2017

2.5

Interior Design Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HDR (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter via email. We spoke on the phone for about 30 minutes where they asked about my experience and interest in working with HDR. Afterwards we coordinated an in person interview with the director and manager. Because of their busy schedules the in person interview took some time to actual schedule, about a month. The in person interview was intimate and relaxed, no intimidating tactics or anything like that. I felt like we could talk for longer but both interviewees had a hard stop because of other meetings.

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at HDR (Portland, OR) in August 2017.

Interview

I was brought in through a staffing agency for temp-to-hire position. The first interview was with the hiring manager. She elaborated on what the job would entail and asked about my professional experience to see how well it matched with what they needed. I was also given a proofreading test as that is an important element of the role. I was invited for a short second interview with a Sr Project Coordinator and HR. Their questions were more about my work style preferences.

Interview Questions

• In proofreading, are you comfortable calling out something that *may* be incorrect?   1 Answer
    • As a new person on a team, how do you get teammates to trust you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HDR.

Interview

Went through several rounds of interviews etc. and then never heard back from the recruiter/company

I found out they filled the position when I logged into the career portal.

It was disappointing to see the lack of follow-up considering the size of the company and how long they've been around.

Electrical EIT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HDR (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

I applied online and 2 weeks later was contacted for an interview. I was interviewed by the section manager and a senior engineer. Not many technical questions, most questions were about your experience in the industry. I got job offer with relocation assistance after 2 weeks.

Senior Bridge Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HDR (Sacramento, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview in the beginning with the hiring managers and then I was asked for an in person interview. The interview was easy with typical questions. They paid for travel expenses.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself?
      2. Why do you wanna join HDR?   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at HDR (Denver, CO) in April 2017.

Interview

Obviously weren't interested in the moment they saw me. I had quite a few contacts, was more than qualified, extensive experience. I quite frankly think it was ageism/insecurity. It was like the minute they looked at me - it was um. Nope. And then didn't make ANY effort whatsoever to even try to seem interested. They read off a sheet in a bored voice asking questions. I tried everything to get them to warm up. Nada. I will eat my resume if they didn't end up hiring someone 25 and under. I wrote a thank you, reached out, and never heard a response. Follow up is terrible. I think their HR dept based some where else would be horrified. Whole thing was very "whatever" and a waste of my time. Stop hiring for someone that looks "just like you" or that you "aren't threatened by" etc. Really humiliating experience. I work with so many other HDR execs and I am now sure to tell them what a horrible experience I had just interviewing.

Project Inspector Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, OH

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at HDR (Wilmington, OH) in March 2017.

Interview

I had applied nearly a year prior and had unexpectedly been contacted, they had retained my resume, which personally I found great. Very professional, very friendly, lunch meeting. A place to meet relatively close to me on a schedule that worked for me. Very low tension, low stress, relaxed interview. Made me feel very comfortable and able to really have a good, honest open discussion. Interviewer was EXTREMELY knowledgeable of the industry and company. Very encouraging.

Interview Questions

• What im looking for in a career   1 Answer

Project Controls Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HDR (Vienna, VA) in February 2017.

Interview

Live interview was pretty straight forward. People at the office in Vienna, VA were very friendly and accommodating. The HR person who set up the interview was not interactive at all; did not return phone calls. All correspondence was done via email. ( If I did not know the company, would not have gone to the interview....he made it seem very "fly by night")

Interview Questions

• Standard Interview questions regarding work history/ project history.   Answer Question

Transportation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HDR (Louisville, KY) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied to a position through an employee referral.
    Received a response in about 3 weeks. Scheduled an interview for the following week. Interview was informal, lasted just over 1 hour. If you have confidence in yourself and are able to hold a conversation, this style is very easy.
    I wore a suit, interviewers were more casual, but the suit was the way to go.

I am still waiting on a response, hopefully will be soon. Will update when I hear back.

Total time, from application to present: 1 month

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself.   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in HDR?   Answer Question
    • What kind of projects have you been involved with, and what was your role?   Answer Question
    • What are skills you have learned/applied with a project, what skills have you only been able to apply in a class/training environment?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at HDR in January 2017.

Interview

The initial interview was a virtual interview performed through a third party client. There were around five questions and you were allowed to review answers before submitting them. Each question allowed a total of four retries.

Interview Questions

• What part of HDR is most intriguing to you for your career as a Civil Engineer?   Answer Question