HDR Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Eric L. Keen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company that is employee owned and employee centered (in 62 reviews)

• Friendly atmosphere with a real emphasis on vitality and work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of work life balance for full time employees (in 10 reviews)

• Large company starts to resemble a bureaucracy (in 17 reviews)

1. "Great design firm"

I have been working at HDR full-time

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Pretty much all desk work.

"Transportation Planner"

Pros

Great Staff, great projects, great environemnt

Cons

poor pay, poor hours, no work life balance

"Good company, non-technical staff have minimal growth"

I have been working at HDR full-time

Pros

Good company
    Treat employees well
    Likeable people

Cons

Non technical staff (with a degree from a 4 year university) are not valued the same as those with a technical degree. Career programs are generally not available to those in non technical roles.

Advice to Management

Better understand the value that non technical staff add and infuse that into the culture. Utilization is important, but shouldn't be the only metric used to determine value and contributions to the firm.

4. "Beware of Quickly Changing workload and being laid off"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at HDR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good People and in general good projects to work on

Cons

Workloads can change rapidly unless you are on a really big, long term project. They seem to be quick to act when there is a slight downturn in the workload.

Advice to Management

Show some loyalty to the employees that have worked extremely hard. Instead of laying people off quickly, work with the employee to use their talents more effectively using the "matrix" and see if there are other possibilities within the company.

5. "Corporate"

I worked at HDR full-time

Pros

Some of the best talent in the industry works here and they are involved with some of the most amazing architectural and engineering projects in the world.

Cons

Executive leadership has very little understanding of human capital or employee engagement. Development opportunities are limited to only the 'chosen' ones. The organization is very hierarchical in structure and the CEO is a micro-manager who uses fear and intimidation for his leadership style.

Advice to Management

Identify a leadership model that aligns with the 21st Century and invest in developing your leaders for tomorrow. Command and control style of leadership will strangle your ability to continue to grow, and the newer generation of employees won't tolerate the culture the company has today.

6. "Happy to Be Here"

Current Employee - Lighting Designer in Lawrenceville, NJ
    Current Employee - Lighting Designer in Lawrenceville, NJ

I have been working at HDR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Between the very competitive benefits and focus on workplace culture, I'm happy to be picked up for my position. Just in my short time here and I'm already feeling the love!

Cons

None. I don't think I'll ever have any.

7. "Very good"

I have been working at HDR full-time

Pros

Very good company so far

Cons

Nothing to remembered for now

"My dream job - seriously can't believe how great this company is"

Current Employee - Project Engineer (Water/Wastewater) in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Project Engineer (Water/Wastewater) in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at HDR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

--Employee owned = generous benefits; opportunity to own part of the company. Every decision is made with employees' best interests in mind, not just maximum profit for senior management. Also, no outside investors to report to.
    --Supportive management (provides the tools you need, guidance for projects)
    --Experts in every field are easily accessible and happy to help
    --Generous vacation time (starts at 15 days PTO + 8 holidays, jumps to 20 days PTO + 8 holidays after 5 years of service or age 35)
    --Highly ethical; they truly value doing the right thing over making money (although we do make money too!)
    --Environmentally conscious - leader in sustainability
    --Invest in employees long-term (training, development, and progressively more challenging assignments)
    --Healthy balance of work and fun - numerous social events / parties scheduled throughout the year (Thanksgiving potluck, Holiday party at a fancy restaurant, cornhole tournament with prizes, pumpkin carving contest at Halloween, litter pick-up during Earth Week, etc.)

Cons

--You can get burned out if you never say no to anyone - you need to work with your boss to set limits and continually balance your workload so you don't get chronically overwhelmed. ("If you do good work, more work will flow to you.") Thankfully work is shared seamlessly across the company, so it's not a big deal unless you're a workaholic who always volunteers for new tasks even when you're already overloaded.
    --No paid maternity or paternity leave

Advice to Management

--Offer paid maternity and paternity leave (2 weeks minimum)

"Great Employee Company"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Salem, OR

I have been working at HDR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

HDR is a great employee owned company. There are limitless opportunities throughout the US and internationally. I have enjoyed working here since 2002.

Cons

There are occasionally difficult challenges, but they're outweighed by the positives.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great people-focused environment, so that we can always bring in the best and brightest talent.

"Great learning enviornment, but not ideal for non-engineers"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at HDR part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours, good pay, major holidays off, lots of opportunities and patience for learning, fun group, weekends off, flexible supervisors for days off and requests.

Cons

For a person working as an admin for the company I find that there isn't much career opportunity and growth as a non-engineer. People working for the company for 10+ years will hardly be able to go up any ranking if they are admin or something similar. I know it is an engineering firm, however, I wasn't prepared for the engineers and PMs to treat me like I was below them or wanted me to hold their hand for things they can do for themselves. On several occasions I have been treated as a personal assistant when that is not at all what I was hired for. In these ways it can be a get very frustrating and suffocating to work here.

Advice to Management

Be aware of your employees who earned their education in different fields; they are no less valuable. And perhaps teach the engineers to not abuse the use of their admins and accounting. We are not your personal assistants or your babysitters. If that is what you need hire your own.