HDR Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Eric L. Keen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Employee owned, great culture, flexible" (in 69 reviews)

• "Excellent company with a very solid culture based on values, honesty and work/life balance which also evolves with the need of time" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "the only con is sometimes work/life balance could be a little skewed" (in 13 reviews)

• "Large company may not be right for all people" (in 19 reviews)

1. "Outstanding Co. to work for!"

Former Employee - Project Controls Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Project Controls Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at HDR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee owned Co.
    Employees are empowered and all work as a team.

Cons

There wasn't anything at all that I didn't love about working for HDR.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

2. "Great company."

I have been working at HDR part-time

Pros

Advanced technology, great benefits, employee focused

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for movement within the company

3. "Good place to work"

I worked at HDR full-time

Pros

Great benefits and work culture

Cons

Corporate office setting, bland day-to-day tasks

Advice to Management

Allow employees access to professional development

4. "Good place to work"

I worked at HDR full-time

Pros

Good culture, growing company, good leadership

Cons

the only con is sometimes work/life balance could be a little skewed

5. "Good opportunity"

I have been working at HDR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Create your own career path

Cons

Can be challenging to navigate network

"Good company, bad local office."

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at HDR full-time

Pros

Local presence nearly everywhere with offices throughout the U.S. One of the better IT departments I have experienced. Some truly good expertise in all disciplines. Great marketing staff with a can-do attitude. Holiday party free for you and your spouse, summer picnic for the whole family.

Cons

Unfortunately for me, I had a bad experience in my local office. An underlying culture of fear permeated throughout. I was part of the senior management, and could not believe watching my senior colleagues get berated by upper management in front of everyone. I was generally boxed out and ignored due to my differing views from the "approved" ways of doing business. I had to give a low rating due to the horrible experiences that I endured. But it appeared to me that other offices were good environments to work in from my travels and dealings with my colleagues in those offices.

Advice to Management

Clean house in your known problem offices, or talent will continue to leave.

7. "Good for Engineers not IT People"

Current Employee - IT Support Specialist
    Current Employee - IT Support Specialist

I have been working at HDR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work here are generally nice. Accepting environment, team members are cooperative.

Good benefits.

Company had tremendous amounts of resources and knowledge

Flexible with anything that may come up in life.

Cons

For IT Group:

Management is an authoritarian rule. They do not communicate with their employees at all.

Does not accept criticism very well for process improvements.

Things are done for the “business” and not whats strategically better or safe(in terms of cyber security)

Pay seems very low for the work performed.

Advice to Management

Pay people what their worth and stop treating like soldiers in the military

8. "network engineer II"

Current Employee - Network Engineer II in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Network Engineer II in Omaha, NE

I have been working at HDR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HDR is a great place to learn, and a lot of potential for growth

Cons

Some lack of communication between higher ups

Advice to Management

Continue to put employees first

9. "PM"

Pros

Excellent company with a very solid culture based on values, honesty and work/life balance which also evolves with the need of time. Great/friendly people who will treat you well and are willing to help. The employees in general seem to be all happy and care about what they are doing since the company’s growth is tied to everyone’s growth as well being an ESOP!

Cons

Haven’t come across any but I am sure things could be different from office location to office location.

"Experience depends on your section, office, and supervisor"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at HDR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big company with decent benefits, great resources, and experts from across the country. You get to work on some of the biggest projects in your region, as well as across the country or the world.

You are encouraged to join professional organizations and this is 100% paid.

You'll be exposed to a variety of interdisciplinary projects in different geographical areas - it usually never gets boring.

The company has lots of resources, and will get you the latest software that you need to do your job.

Being employee owned was a plus. I took advantage of this and grew my 401k by investing in the company. The company does really well every year.

Cons

Raises were not transparent. Employees with less experience could make more than people with significantly more experience, and there are clear favorites in each office and section. Everyone who is not a favorite may be treated as expendable.

The NY/NJ offices are treated like a money making machine. Upper management doesn't treat employees as people. You are given unreasonable utilization goals and pressure to stay utilized. If you need to go to a conference, you either make up all the hours or work extra hours during the week. it is unpaid, even though managers will boast "paid training" for employees.

Some project managers have absolutely no technical knowledge and more junior level staff must teach them.
    There is very little opportunity to grow in the organization. You are treated as a junior engineer for the first 6 years of your career. Even when you get your PE license, you are still a junior engineer. You can ask for opportunities to manage projects, but you won't get them because these just go to upper/middle management's favorite staff. Once you do manage to reach mid-level engineer, the senior project managers and section managers still micromanage your projects.

On the section manager side, they typically don't focus on their employees. Mid and senior management is more focused on client development, marketing, and micromanaging your projects for their clients. No one cares about developing staff. If you start out your career here, you will suffer because they'll always see you as a junior engineer.

Costs for licensure, any PE review classes, etc. are not paid. The project management software was very slow and inefficient.

Advice to Management

Focus on staff development and promoting staff internally instead of hiring outside.