HMB Interview Questions | Glassdoor

HMB Interview Questions

Interviews at HMB

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at HMB (Columbus, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

I was recruited by an on-campus recruiter directly from University. After an initial 30 minute interview with the recruiter, I was invited to go on a four hour on-site interview with four employees at four different levels of seniority.

There was also an aptitude test given involving basic logic puzzles.

Interview Questions

• I think the aptitude test was the most unusual thing. Everything else was roughly the stuff you would expect companies to want entry-level developers to know.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated with the recruiter over the phone.

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at HMB (Columbus, OH) in September 2015.

Interview

After meeting at a career fair, I was brought in for 4 rounds of interviews in a day. First, there was a test to evaluate logic skills. Then I met with various members of the company, each asking technical questions. One interview was with a junior developer, which was a "reverse interview", where I could ask him any questions I had about the company and working there.

Interview Questions

3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at HMB (Columbus, OH) in October 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through my college. I first spoke to her over the phone and then was invited to an on-site interview. On site, we took an aptitude test, then completed four interviews with different employees. Most of them were nice and easy to talk to. One was very rude to me, began our session late, and ended early because he said he didn't have any questions for me. It took them over two months to get back to me after my interview.

Interview Questions

HMB Response

Oct 24, 2018 – CEO

We’re always looking for new ways to keep interviews fresh, challenging, engaging, but overall useful for ensuring a perfect fit between us and our candidates. It sounds like our interview method did not resonate with you, and for that I apologize. We pride ourselves on taking risks and trying new things, but sometimes that means we trip-up along the way. It was not our intention to be off-putting.

The poor communication on our part is disappointing. We are continually refining our process and striving to learn and do better for all candidates going into the future. Our recruiting team, and myself, sincerely appreciate your feedback.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Interview

HMB was the single worst in-person interview experience I've had over the past couple of years. After showing up with about 5 other candidates, we all took what was essentially an IQ test (foreboding of the company values, but whatever). During the 20 minutes allotted for said test, an employee was heard a room away having a major argument (throwing out lots of language). By the sound of things, he was getting fired that day. After awkwardly finishing our tests, we were separated into individual interviews with about 5 different consultant employees. Each of the reviews went roughly the same way: rapid-fire questions on bogus information such as "what is the acronym used to describe x", or "give me some obscure knowledge that 99% of sane people look up when they hit". While I could and did explain the overarching themes and what I did know, I got this vibe of elitism for recalling the magic keys to the arbitrary questions, which seemed to be pulled from a google search for expert-level software engineer interview questions.

HMB Response

Oct 24, 2018 – CEO

We’re truly sorry about the argument you overheard in an adjacent conference room. We wish situations like this didn’t occur, unfortunately, on a rare occasion, they do. No business is immune from them.

Regarding our aptitude test, we try to measure all angles of a candidate’s personality and ability. Some people do better in certain situations than others, and we want to give all of our candidates different opportunities to demonstrate their strengths.

I say with deep conviction that our people are not “elitists”. It was not our intention to broadcast that vibe to the group and make anyone feel uncomfortable. As we continue to refine our interview process, we will be sure to make note of this and do better.

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at HMB (Columbus, OH) in September 2017.

Interview

First, I contacted HMB at a career fair. I got an email about doing an in-person interview. After the in-person interview, I got offered to do the final interview. This is a case interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult situation and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

IT Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at HMB (Columbus, OH) in January 2016.

Interview

I met with a recruiter first, then with the hiring manager. The hiring manager interview was difficult only in the sense that I was never asked that the particular question before. that interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe each step, in detail, that you would take to order a item online. Start with turning on the computer.   1 Answer

Software Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westerville, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at HMB (Westerville, OH) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview was great. Good questions from past experiences, basic tech questions, design patterns, full stack questions, how I learn new technologies, networking, etc. Overall not super challenging, more conversational. Jared asked some basic feeler questions and more or less basically gave the HMB pitch of what they do, why, and how I could grow.

Interview Questions

• Explain how I dealt with a difficult situation between a colleague and a decision he made?   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between MVC and webforms and what is viewstate and MVVM?   Answer Question

Software QA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HMB (Columbus, OH) in October 2018.

Interview

Phone interview, meeting with recruiter, meeting with VP, meeting with QA Lead.

The staff at HMB (recruiter, administrative assistant, VP and QA Lead) were very professional and courteous.
    I enjoyed all my interaction with the staff and I felt the QA Lead, Jared did exceptionally well in interviewing me. He ask great questions, is very polite, explains the type of question he is about to ask. He looks the candidate in the eye while talking to them and he is not reading from a list of questions he found on some site.

Interview Questions

• In the interview with the QA Lead I was asked about a number of situations familiar to QA skills. One question centered around being handed a release that needs tested ASAP with little to no accompanying documentation.   1 Answer

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westerville, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at HMB (Westerville, OH) in January 2017.

Interview

I waited in the lobby until my interviewer was ready, because I had come early. She asked me about my interests and qualifications, and told me about how their business works and what kind of positions would be open.

After the initial face-to-face interview, I did a phone interview with a person who could potentially be my new team leader. He asked me a few questions and I asked him a few questions.

Both interviewers were nice and friendly, but this was my first actual interview so I was nervous and had a bad overall experience because of that, which is why I assume I didn't get hired.

After both interviews, I got an email from the first interviewer informing me that they were not moving me forward in the hiring process, and that they wished me luck finding a job. Very nice people.

Also, I had this interview almost a year ago (at the time of writing this review), so some details may be off. I certainly don't remember any questions they asked me. I'd say that from the first email asking to schedule an interview to getting the final email it was probably less than a week. That sounds about right, if I recall correctly.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember, but I think they asked me about the projects I worked on before.   1 Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at HMB.

Interview

Interviewed with several members of the team. Met with Recruiting, CEO, Senior Director. Everyone was extremely friendly and made the process very comfortable. You can tell they are passionate about hiring the right people.