Highspot Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Highspot Interview Questions

Interviews at Highspot

Senior Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Highspot in December 2019.

Interview

First I was contacted by a recruiter in LinkedIn. After a short screening call the recruiter scheduled another call with the head/manager of SRE/DevOps team. That was not a real interview. I was asked about my experience, some experience-related questions: how did I implement and what do I think about this and that, what do I like and so on. After the interview a was given a technical task. The task takes about 3-4 hours to implement and you have to upload it to a shared Dropbox folder. Several days later I uploaded the solution and sent a notification e-mail. I couple days later the Dropbox folder with my solution has been unshared. I did not get a follow up from the recruiter or the tech lead.

Interview Questions

• Implement an application that can generate a unique urls and store/retrieve data using POST/GET. Isolate the data persistence and integrate it with Docker-Compose.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Highspot (Seattle, WA) in November 2019.

Interview

I first got connected through my University's career fair. Then I had a couple phone screens with a recruiter and manager. Next was a coding exercise followed by an onsite. I talked with 4 engineers. The onsite was a mix of whiteboard coding, technical discussions, and talk about Highspot in general. Overall everyone was very nice and helpful. It was one of the better interview experiences I've had and got me excited about Highspot.

Analytics Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Highspot (Seattle, WA) in September 2019.

Interview

Reached out by a recruiter and had a phone screen and then a talk with someone on the team. Was then invited to fly out to Seattle to speak with 4 people including the CEO and 2 VPs each in 50-minute sessions. The CEO was my second interview and was the most bizarre and insulting interview of my life. My industry (consulting) was bashed and its business models and methods of communication were looked upon very disparagingly. It was as if there was some personal vendetta against consultants by the CEO even though my first interviewer was previously a consultant and my consulting background was the primary factor in recruitment. Had I not flown out there, I would have walked away after that second interview and not completed the remaining two. Unsurprisingly, I did not receive an offer and in the rejection email the recruiter pasted someone else’s name in the salutation which was the icing on this ridiculous cake. On top of that it took a month to get my expenses reimbursed, and that was only after I sent 5 separate emails asking for updates. If you have a decent amount of self-respect, stay away from this dumpster fire.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Highspot (Seattle, WA) in September 2019.

Interview

I had a horrible interview experience from beginning to end with Highspot.

During my first phone screen the call with the recruiter dropped. Hey, no biggie, technical problems happen. I called back several times and was sent to an automated system where I could not contact a human being, any human being. I finally gave up and sent an email saying I was still available. Later I got a voicemail, no missed calls, probably because my line was busy trying to reach them, where he implied the call dropping was my fault and provided no way to call him back directly. We had a couple of email exchanges trying to reschedule where I asked him for a direct line. I found him difficult to schedule with and he refused to acknowledge my request for a direct line even if to explain it was against Highspot policy or something. I decided to let this one go and continue my search.

The second time I was put in touch directly with the head of PM via my previous employer who I still keep in touch with because I left on excellent terms. I heard good things about working at Highspot so I decided to give it another go. I had a 30 minute call with the head of PM where he grilled me a little and put me back in touch with the same recruiter. They had two product openings at the time - Principal and Senior. The second phone screen I had with the recruiter I mentioned the best fit for me would probably be the Senior PM opening. In a condescending tone he said that I would need at least 5 years experience to be senior...I have 7 years of experience clearly indicated on my resume. He also assumed I had been fired from my previous role. I explained that I left on my own accord and on excellent terms. He grilled me on my skills and prior experience and then told me he'd put me through to the next round and explained there would be three more rounds. Another one hour phone screen with a PM, a homework assignment with a 30 minute presentation, and then a full day loop.

The one hour phone screen was kind of tough but went well. There were two questions focused around issue tracking systems (e.g. JIRA) and growth (i.e. growing a business). The final round was the homework assignment which turned out to be a 15 minute presentation (not 30 minute) once again about issue tracking systems (you get to pick between Trello, JIRA, Atlassian) with 15 minutes for Q&A. They told me the assignment should take about 90 minutes. It took me much longer than 90 minutes. It was basically to write a full roadmap, business plan, rollout plan, specifications with UX mocks, success metrics, pricing strategies, etc. I don't know any good PM who can do this in 90 minutes. I presented to three people for about 15 minutes via Zoom, they asked questions for about 5 minutes, and abruptly ended the call 10 minutes early without telling me when to expect to hear anything either way. I waited three business days before emailing and asking if I was moving forward. The recruiter replied saying no. I probably wouldn't have heard at all if I hadn't reached out. After two (well, three) phone screens and the homework assignment, I found that incredibly rude.

A note to minority candidates considering product roles here:
    During the process I noticed only white men (4 separate individuals) were part of my interviews. As a minority candidate I wondered why they hadn't given me a more diverse loop. Industry data clearly indicates white men are more likely to hire white men, people of color to hire people of color, women to hire women, etc. I assume they know this?

I investigated and learned through the grapevine that the entire 5 or 6 person PM team (including the hiring manager) were white men. If this were an older established tech company I wouldn't necessarily find that to be a red flag. It's incredibly hard to make changes to an already existing culture and team. However, I would expect a brand new company like Highspot that's made the majority of its hires in the last year to make an effort to start off on the right foot and prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion in their hiring. I heard they've hired two women since then. I don't know if either of them were POC.

Interview Questions

• You're a PM on JIRA and your management says they need to change XYZ feature. What do you do?   1 Answer

Service Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Highspot (Seattle, WA) in September 2019.

Interview

Initial Call with HR Rep; passed through to Leadership for discussion; invite out to onsite interview with four team members. Great team and people there, great platform with potential to impact market.

Interview Questions

• Describe a technology you use and love, how would we partner to improve it?   Answer Question

HR Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Highspot (Seattle, WA) in September 2019.

Interview

This was by far the best candidate experience I have ever had! I was recruited via LinkedIn by one of their recruiters, Megan. From the beginning, she was professional, upbeat and truly made me feel like a valued candidate. This was the first time I have experienced a recruiter giving so much of their time to a candidate. Megan checked in before and after my interviews to prepare me and ensure I had everything I needed to be successful. She constantly kept me up to date on my status throughout the process and never once left me hanging. During the interview the interviewers definitely asked questions to ensure more than if I was capable of doing the job but also if I was a good team and company culture fit.

Truly a flawless interview process that shows how much they care about the people they bring in.

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Highspot.

Interview

First, a 30 minute phone call with recruiter, which was great and a positive experience. Then, another call with the hiring manager that was one of my worst candidate experiences to date. The hiring manager clearly hadn’t even looked at my resume, didn’t have a good grasp of what they wanted in the role, and was multitasking/distracted during the call.

Senior Backend Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Highspot in August 2019.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter as I was looking for a new role. Great chat regarding tech stack, growing, scalability issues, and culture of the org. Then was put in touch with the engineering manager, who did a good job getting to know me as a person, as opposed to just a coding robot. Next step was a take home, which was definitely long and wanted you to build an end to end solution addressing scalability. I completed it in 1.5 weeks and turned in. Unfortunately I didn’t make it through, as seemed coding wasn’t up to par. Overall, good communication and great phone calls make me inclined to give positive rating. Bummed I didn’t make it through.

Service Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Highspot (Seattle, WA) in July 2019.

Interview

Multiple rounds that include phone and on-site interviews with various stakeholders. The recruiting team were super responsive with thorough follow-ups. Keep in mind that you'll be assessed for multiple roles based on your experience, and interview performance.

Overall, a very positive experience as an interviewee.

Interview Questions

• Lot of questions digging deeper into my own professional experiences.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Highspot in June 2019.

Interview

Relatively straightforward homework assignment that they review independently, then an onsite. The onsite was 5 meetings with several engineers and an engineering manager. The first meeting was a high-level technical discussion, the next several had some whiteboard coding with conversation that felt collaborative and relaxed. The final meeting was more about culture fit and higher-level company overview. Overall an enjoyable and interesting onsite experience with cool team members. Got an offer the next day with only a few days to decide but the offer was great. My one piece of advice would be to feel ready to make a decision when you interview here because in my experience, they moved extremely quickly once they started getting towards the offer phase.