Huntington Learning Centers SAT/ACT Math Tutor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 24, 2017

1.8

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Dunwoody, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Huntington Learning Centers (Dunwoody, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

The overall job offer and hire process took about 5 days. I applied to the job on indeed and was received a phone call that same evening to schedule an in-person interview. The interview was standard and easy, it lasted about 20mins and I was asked about my education, past tutoring/teaching experience and availability. I was told that I will have to complete about 3 - 4 weeks of training and shadow an ACT tutor until I am approved to get on the floor. I was asked to take a practice ACT math on which I will need to score at least a 33 in order to move forward as an ACT tutor with Huntington.

Interview Questions

• What do I most enjoy about tutoring?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Huntington Learning Centers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westwood, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Huntington Learning Centers (Westwood, NJ) in June 2016.

Interview

Relatively straightforward interview. The director asked me to tell him about myself, and my long term goals. I was then asked what I knew about Huntington and was asked some behavioral type questions. He then told me about how tutoring works at Huntington. I was asked to come back within a few days to take the math portion of the ACT.

Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Huntington Learning Centers (Lawrenceville, NJ) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview was very simple and easy. We set up the date to be the next day. I was asked on any prior work experience, and I was asked on my background in doing Mathematics. I had lots of experience working in mathematics but none in teaching mathematics. They said it was not a problem, they had programs to train me how to teach math. Finally they had me take a sample ACT math and science section. I scored well and was given the job.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience teaching Mathematics or exam prep?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't really try. I really needed a job.

Anonymous Employee in Clifton Park, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Huntington Learning Centers (Clifton Park, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The interviewer asked me to introduce myself, who I am. Then I was asked questions about why I wanted to be a tutor, then asked what subjects I would feel most comfortable teaching. We talked about school (I am currently a student while working at Huntington) and what my goals are for that.

SAT/ACT Math Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Huntington Learning Centers in July 2014.

Interview

I called into the center to see if they had any availability. After following up I was given a first interview. During the first interview I was asked several questions and took a diagnostic SAT (math sections only). I filled out an employment application during the interview. I had a second interview in which logistics were discussed.

SAT/ACT Math Tutor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Huntington Learning Centers.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. I had to come in and teach a mock lesson to one of the managers.

Interview Questions

• I had to teach a lesson to the manager. I wasn't expecting that.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

SAT/ACT Math Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Huntington Learning Centers.

Interview

Attended an open house at my local center and had to bring my resume and cover letter. Received an e-mail about 3 days later that I had been offered an interview slot. About a 30 minute interview on my tutoring experience and how I would handle certain situations with potential students.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a student who seemed unmotivated, arrived late to their sessions, did not complete their homework, etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Set pay scale. No negotiations

SAT/ACT Math Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Huntington Learning Centers.

Interview

Very simple process, took an ACT math and science test. Once the results show an understanding of the test a more detailed interview process began. Asked questions about past teaching experience and how you handle yourself in difficult teaching situations. Such as if a student is unwilling to learn or put forth any effort.

Interview Questions

• How has past teaching experience helped you understand new ways of approaching students?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Huntington Learning Centers (Jersey City, NJ) in August 2013.

Interview

I called the Center and confirmed that they had openings, then I emailed my cover letter, resume and New Jersey Math Certification. The Center called within a few days and set up an appointment for an Interview within the next few days. After one Interview, I was told that I would be contacted if the Director approved and my Background Check was approved within a few days. Upon receiving the call that I am approved, I was asked to take the Math portion of the SAT to confirm that I would score high enough to Tutor. Upon scoring high enough, I was offered the position. I was given access to online Training Modules and after those were complete, I was given the opportunity to shadow multiple Tutors for about a week, after which I was approved for solo Tutoring of students assigned to me. Overall, the Interview and Hiring Process at Huntington was very positive for me.

Interview Questions

• As a Tutor, how would you approach helping a frustrated student through a difficult Math concept the he/she cannot seem to understand despite ample study and practice?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Huntington Learning Centers (Chicago, IL) in April 2013.

Interview

first there is a phone interview, they will ask what subject can you teach, your experience. They prefer if you have a science, then math subject are highly coveted. they will ask for hours/ time/ days available for work. then call you in person. if your resume has experience in teaching high school or adults, you're an almost automatically in. The interview was almost informal for me.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in teaching High School students ?   Answer Question