Cover image for Marathon Petroleum

Is this your company?

Add an Interview

Marathon Petroleum Interview Questions

Updated Nov 2, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 252 of over 252 interviews

Recruiter6%
2.7
HardAverageEasy

Marathon Petroleum

Application

I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum

Interview

They asked me three STAR questions. It was really easy and was over quickly, it only lasted like half an hour. There was a recruiter and an engineer there interviewing.

Interview Questions
  • Normal star interview questions I don’t remember
    Answer Question

Marathon Petroleum

Application

I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum

Interview

Easy process but long background check and drug test. The time from application to working is longer than expected. They do walk you through it well, it’s just long compared to other places.

Interview Questions
  • What courses I’ve taken so far.

Marathon Petroleum

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum

Interview

On campus interview following the career fair. Mainly talked them through my resume and answered basic questions. No technical questions. Was a room of 4 different employees, HR and engineering manager included.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about a time you had to go against your group with an unpopular opinion.

Marathon Petroleum

Application

I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum

Interview

Straight forward and standard, very informative about the reach of the job. Friendly conversation and overall experience was good. I did not get the job but a will insiste the next time I have a chance

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pomona, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Pomona, CA) in Sep 2022

Interview

The interview consisted of a few behavioral questions using the STAR method plus a review of resume your resume. It was pretty relaxed and took about 30 minutes to complete.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time you had a conflict with a coworker Name your proudest accomplishment

Marathon Petroleum

Application

I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum

Interview

The interview was a panel Teams call, a total of 3 people. Panel was friendly and made me feel relaxed throughout the interview. Everyone had their camera on. They answered all questions I had about the internship.

Interview Questions
  • Give an example of a situation when you worked as part of a team?

Marathon Petroleum

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum

Interview

Interview began with elaboration on student background, long-term education plans, and location preference. Focus of interview shifted to academic courses taken and research projects conducted. Interview concluded with possible offers available and contact information exchange between both parties.

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to be a Marathon intern?

Marathon Petroleum

Application

I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum

Interview

It is a lengthy process. After receiving a call from the recruiter, interviews are scheduled. Several of those interviews are panel interviews, which include peers of the prospective candidate, and also managers.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum (San Antonio, TX) in Jul 2022

Interview

I had multiple web interviews all of which were heavily based on behavioral questions. For the final interview, the group didn't even bother to turn on their cameras. HR also expected me to be available for an interview the following day after contacting me. Not a good first impression. I would have turned down an offer if it was made.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time you worked with a difficult team member and how you got through it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum (El Paso, TX) in Jun 2022

Interview

They did a virtual interview and an on site interview. In both interviews, they relied heavily on behavioral questions. In the on site interview, there was a plant tour. I recommend researching the processes and asking questions

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about your most difficult and time intensive project
Viewing 1 - 10 of 252 Interviews

Marathon Petroleum Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at Marathon Petroleum as 72.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.71 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Marketing and Intern rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Internship and Chemical Engineer Co-Op roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at Marathon Petroleum takes an average of 24 days when considering 268 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Internship had the quickest hiring process (on average 8 days), whereas Operations Center Analyst roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 37 days).

Common stages of the interview process at Marathon Petroleum according to 268 Glassdoor interviews include:

Group Panel Interview: 20.91%