Marathon Petroleum Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Marathon Petroleum

2.6

Sort:

Pipeline Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Interview

The process starts with an online application, then 5 weeks later I was sent a behavioral test to complete online, then after passing I was invited to a 3.5 hr testing session. Test is 6 parts, math, gauges, reading, listening. Test was ok, but they are all timed so you must move quick on the questions. After passing test you will have interview the next day. The interview was 4 people, one HR, and 3 from the work location. The HR guy was great, very professional. I also had one from the work location that was great as well. The other 2 were not very interested, I think they had their friend pre selected for this position. I wish the interview was held with HR people only, because they are from out of the area and don't have friends to hire. The interview was said to be causal, but 4 on 1 can be pretty intemidating. Company and job seamed great, just wish I could get past the hiring friends part and get a position with them.

Interview Questions

• How do you work in groups, dealing with bad employees in the group, and safety was big too. One question was how have you improved your current job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Canton, OH) in May 2015.

Interview

I submitted a resume after which I was offered a spot for the testing site. I was told the day of the test that I had passed and that the next day I was going to be interviewed. I showed up early and with proper attire and went through the interview in which there were 4 individuals and they were all part of the operations department. I felt that the interview went well, however a few weeks alter I received an email stating that I was not selected.

Interview Questions

• One question they asked was what is one major safety incident that I have witnessed and how did I react in the workplace?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Detroit, MI) in June 2015.

Interview

It was a fast and furious interview. The interviewers seemed very un interested. I think their decision was already made before I sat down. I did a skills test in the morning and was called back that afternoon for a panel interview. You get the feeling that these interviews are just a formality and they have already hired a family member or friend.

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garyville, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Garyville, LA) in May 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with a panel of 7, composed of lab techs, chemists, supervisors, and hr personnel. They divided themselves into groups of 2 or 3 and each group had a unique set of questions to ask. Questions varied from previous work experiences to basic analytical chemistry questions to questions about interactions with others.

Interview Questions

• If you had a conflict with others on your shift, how would you handle it? What would you do if the problem persists?   Answer Question

Clerk/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Trenton, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Trenton, FL) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was called in for a interview a few days later. When i went into the store the manager just said the hours i would be working and if i was okay with it and what my main duties would be. After that she sent me to the main office when i had to take a drug test and since i passed i filled out forms and got my vest and name tag.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Detroit, MI) in February 2016.

Interview

Took a test. Then after passing the test, we were called for an interview session with 3 interviewers. Went to detroit to take a 3 hr test. Then was called with a interview time. Test covered general aptitude, chemical, some mechanicel knowladge and ability to problem solve.

Interview Questions

• You know we give drug tests? He repeated this 5 times. He said he was going to call my last employer (he knew people there and was going to find out why I left). Like he was threatening me. LOL . I have passed drug tests since I was 17 and in the US Navy and NEVER failed one. I Left my last employer in good standing. I have 26 years operational experience and I am HIGHLY regarded by my present and past employers I still instruct on most units for all of my past employers. I am Still friends with many of them. I found this interview completely offensive and somewhat harassing. I will NEVER apply with this company again. They would have been lucky to have me employed. I saved the last company I worked for Millions in my stay with them and I'm still called for assistance when needed.   3 Answers
    • You know we give drug tests? He repeated this 5 times. He said he was going to call my last employer (he knew people there and was going to find out why I left). Like he was threatening me. LOL . I have passed drug tests since I was 17 and in the US Navy and NEVER failed one. I Left my last employer in good standing. I have 26 years operational experience and I am HIGHLY regarded by my present and past employers I still instruct on most units for all of my past employers. I am Still friends with many of them. I found this interview completely offensive and somewhat harassing. I will NEVER apply with this company again. They would have been lucky to have me employed. I saved the last company I worked for Millions in my stay with them and I'm still called for assistance when needed.   1 Answer

Operations Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Canton, OH) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online for the operator trainee position. There were 600+ applicants they pick 200 for a group assessment test. We all met in a large meeting hall. There was practice test that I attended a few days prior to the real assment test. As I walked in I noticed I had to be one of the youngest guys in the testing at 24yrs old. Most of the guys looked around 30-40. We took a scantron test with multiple sections of math, mechanical and situational questions. Fairly easy, I had passed the practice test with no issues. The testing took around 4 hours then they said they would contact us with a yay or nay the following week. I received a email saying i didn't pass the testing portion the following week. There was no way in hell I failed....and you have to wait a year to apply for the position again. I personally think my age and lack of collage degree played a role. I'm experience I have goin on 5 years of drilling rig experience and applied with a some reputable references of their current employees. Needless to say I will be reapplying until I get a position.

Interview Questions

• If a barrel of oil has weighs X amount and a tanker holds X number of barrels. What's the weight of the oil in the tanker.   1 Answer

Ops Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Interview

phone interview then one on one once determined from phone interview. presently there is some extensive testing done prior. If hired you will have several trips to Lima, OH. for training depending on position. Most engineers go through a coop while still attending school. A presentation is required toward the end of coop and is used to determine if a position will be offered.

Interview Questions

• If I had ever violated a safety rule in the past employment.   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Toledo, OH) in September 2017.

Interview

There was 3 people for the first interview 1 in HR 1 who runs the finance interns and 1 who is established in the company they asked HR based questions and They asks questions specifically for the person

Interview Questions

• What was one way you went above and beyond the call of duty?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoneton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Phoneton, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

A lot of behavioral based questions from your resume. Two interviewers. One from HR and one from your department. Took about a half an hour. Offered position to me over the phone.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had a difficult member in your group.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation