McGraw Hill Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at McGraw Hill

2.8

Learning Technology Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McGraw Hill (New York, NY) in June 2020.

Interview

You have a 30 minute initial phone call. The recruiter did not ask me any questions at all during this phone call which I found very strange. We just spent 30 minutes going over what questions I had about the position. Im not sure how this company makes the decision to move forward or not with a candidate without asking about their experiences.

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burr Ridge, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McGraw Hill (Burr Ridge, IL).

Interview

I was referred by someone who already worked there - she forwarded my resume. I received a call from HR to set up a phone interview. From there, I had a phone interview/screening with the HR manager, who then set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. After I passed that, I was asked to come in for an in person interview. I was there for four hours and interviewed separately with about five different people on the team. About two days later, they offered me the job and I took it. That was 17 years ago!

Interview Questions

• Honestly, it was so long ago, I don't remember, but I know they asked me why I wanted to work for McGraw-Hill.   1 Answer

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McGraw Hill (Seattle, WA) in September 2019.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. Afterwards I had a phone interview. After the pone interview I was invited onsite. The onsite interview went well until it didn't. I really though I was a perfect fit for this position. I mean who has 10 years experience with php and 3 years angular. The exact tech stack they were committed to. It all came down to the site reliability engineer asking me several questions about micro services. I couldn't answer. Who in their right mind is using php to build micro service architecture. Anyway. That is when it all went south. My php experience was using drupal, magento, code igniter, and symfony. That didn't cut it. Ever since this interview I have been educating myself on micro services. In the process of educating myself though .net core I realized the site reality engineer who was interviewing me didn't even know what he was talking about. Dude was deploying the same php code on the same hosted server which isn't a micro service at all. When I met the site reliability engineer I had an immediate feeling that he did not like me. From the first second we met hands I had an intuition that the interview was not going to go well.

Interview Questions

• A bunch of micro service questions. Several questions about how to monitor health, design patterns, and logging. Ironically not many Angular questions. I question whether anyone actually knew angular.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McGraw Hill.

Interview

The recruiter gave me a call at the scheduled time, and right away, it seemed like she was just interested in asking questions. She didn't seem to want to give me the opportunity to drive the conversation, and my ability to ask questions about the company and the role were limited. That was still tolerable. However, about 15 minutes into the call, she started talking about her broken foot, and that whole experience. I thought it was definitely irrelevant, but decided to just go with it. Maybe she was testing my conversational skills. The conversation then moved to her granddaughter's gymnastics performances, and her journey through gymnastics.

By that time, it had been 45 minutes, and the majority of the time was spent talking about the recruiter's life. I've actually never had this type of experience in an interview, and it definitely didn't leave a great impression of the company.

Interview Questions

• It sounded like she had a checklist of questions to ask, and was only interested in getting through that list, and nothing further.

Why do you want to work at McGraw Hill?
      What qualities do you look for in a company when you're applying?
      What do you do in your job today?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at McGraw Hill (Seattle, WA) in July 2019.

Interview

Was approached by several recruiters to see if McGraw-Hill would be a good fit for me as my resume matches with what they are looking for. After a brief conversation, I agreed to talk to a hiring manager with a short interview over the phone.

Interview Questions

• Questions were all technical based and did not expand on any topics brought up. "Mostly do you know or have experience with this" type questions, which seemed to be just a bunch of questions off a list. When all questions were were answered, the interview was done. I guess I could say it was like filling out an online form which would have been much more time efficient.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McGraw Hill (Columbus, OH) in July 2019.

Interview

Started with Recruiter, then Hiring Manager, and F2F. The recruiter gave me advice for each step. She was very informative about benefits. Best experience so far in me job search!!

Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McGraw Hill (Seattle, WA) in July 2019.

Interview

Contacted via recruiter. Phone interview with MH Program Manager setup the next day. The interviewer passed on moving forward.

The questions were rather broad.

I was interviewed by a new (3 months) employee who had no response to questions regarding the current areas of improvement or identified gaps of the Scrum Team.

From the interview, I didn't get a sense that Agile tools were being used in measurable or actionable ways.

The group I interviewed with did not have much of a feedback mechanism for the team members. It seemed that reflections on performance and expectations were only visited when deliverables were not being met.

I did not get much insight into the inner operations as responses to how DOR.

The interviewer focused on Scrum knowledge level based on textbook definitions and seemed to follow with anti-examples to further assess knowledge or stance on the methodology.

In a nutshell, the interview was mostly about cultural alignment to MH methodology beliefs.

Software Quality Assurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at McGraw Hill (Irvine, CA).

Interview

All behavior questions, the job title sounds like they do some cool automated testing, but it turns out they were looking for manual tester for their website. Interviews are friendly, but the position is not what I expected from the job posting.

Interview Questions

• Why do want to work here? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McGraw Hill.

Interview

HR phone interview, followed by a ~1 hr phone tech screening. In person 3-hour interview covering relational databases and SQL queries, backend basics, and a short "exam" consisting of web development basics and a typing (WPM) test.

Intern Interview

Interview

Phone interview and then in-person interview. They then sent me an email a day later saying I got the job! The process was fairly simple. Communication was easy.