Mitchell International Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 8, 2017

2.9

Multimedia Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Mitchell International (San Diego, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

BE AWARE!
    As of February 15, 2017 - This company announced in the Wall Street Journal that it is "exploring" a sale. This will be the third sale of the company since 2007.

Very standard process of incremental screens. Phone screens from HR lead to Skype calls with department leadership, HR Screen, co-workers (one was actually a subcontractor I later discovered). Everything lead to an offer, which was verbally presented to me by the HR Representative. The benefits were acceptable, but not great. For example, 401k matching is rather weak - .50/1.00 up to 6% vested at 25% per year. Healthcare benefits were pretty standard. The apparent company policy is that candidates must fully disclose and PROVE income (starting and ending) at every job listed on your resume. They asked for the offer letter from my current employer, most recent paycheck, 1099's from my freelance work etc. All this without presenting their offer in writing. Totally unprofessional, good bye.

In summary. Be very cautious with this company. They expect hires to provide proof of income for all jobs listed start and finish. And they are up for sale for the fourth time since 2000.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenge at your current position and how you worked through it.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mitchell International (Fort Collins, CO) in December 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview from San Diego,CA
    It was a behavioral and a technical round in the phone interview.
    It lasted for hour and a half.
    He was quite conversational and asked me about my resume and couple of projects which were listed on the resume

Interview Questions

• To write a code for swapping any data type objects using an online editor   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mitchell International.

Interview

1st round-technical inerview
    next a coding challenge and after a 4hour skype interview which is too much.waste of time for the ineterview process.the interview process is too long and fee irrelevant questions.Not at all reponsive .should call them everytime to know the update .The worst interview i ever had.Do not waste unr time in applying

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mitchell International (San Diego, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I had three (2 30 min and 1 15 min) interviews with the HR and two recruiters on the same day. The HR answered doubts regarding the position, one recruiter asked behavioral questions and also Object oriented programming paradigms, the other recruiter reviewed the coding challenge I had submitted earlier

Interview Questions

• They asked questions on the previous coding challenge, persistence in Java, OOP, behavioral questions   Answer Question

PL/SQL Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mitchell International (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied for pl/sql developer position. 1st round is telephonic, it went well, then they arranged for 2nd round interview. This time it is Skype interview. Before that they gave me a task to code it and I provided couple of solutions. The skype round was conducted for an hour and 4 people took the round including manager, senior developer, and director.
    Interview went well but not sure they said they choosen another candidate for the position.

Interview Questions

• interview faqs are very common ones. Just google for plsql developer interview questions.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer (Java) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mitchell International (San Diego, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

First was a phone call from the recruiter describing the position and scheduled the first technical phone interview with a software engineer. Went well. Following that was an onsite interview with the entire team consisting of five members, three of which were remote via Skype. Most of the interviews were behavioral except for the second which was technical in depth. The last interview was with the hiring manager. Received a call but no offer, but the recruiter was willing to give positive feedback.

Interview Questions

• Explain the different REST operations (GET,PUT,POST, DELETE) and explain 'idempotency'.   Answer Question
    • Questions regarding JPA: annotations, structure and operation.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mitchell International (San Diego, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Had to design an application and then went in a talked to a recruiter and two engineers to discuss the application. Overall, interviews went mostly well but application apparently wasn't good enough

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Mitchell International in September 2016.

Interview

The phone interview was for 30 mins mostly about c# questions and it was followed by a in person interview. You would be asked to write some code and explain few concepts in c#

Interview Questions

• Mostly about c# questions. Linq, generics and extension methods   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Mitchell International (San Diego, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

1. Applied on their website after seeing a post on LinkedIn.
    2. Received a call from an internal recruiter (Friday, week 1).
    3. Recruiter called back later the same day to setup an onsite with the hiring manager the following week.
    4. Had an excellent 1 hour onsite interview with the hiring manager (Monday, week 2).
    5. Received a call from the recruiter Monday afternoon saying they wanted to setup a panel interview for a couple of hours on Friday of the same week.
    6. Two hour onsite panel interview went very well. I met with three people and liked them all. So far Mitchell seemed like an excellent fit all around.
    7. Received a call from the recruiter the same evening saying it went well and feeling me out on various offer scenarios.
    8. (Monday, week 3) Received another call from the recruiter to discuss more offer scenarios. We continued to negotiate on Tuesday.
    9. Then I received a call from him saying that there was a test I was supposed to have completed earlier in the process. A "skills assessment test" which was part deductive reasoning and behavioral/personality questions. This is where things started to go sideways. I hate these sorts of tests, but agreed to take it anyway (after all, the position sounded interesting and like a good fit). As expected it was basically a personality test with really hard timed deductive reasoning questions.
    10. A couple hours later, the recruiter contacted me to let me know I'd passed the test. All that remained was to pass the "background check." It turns out that at Mitchell the "background check" doesn't just cover criminal history, but also employment and salary verification.
    11. A few days later (week 3 still) I receive another call from the recruiter saying that, as requested, they had not contacted my current employer, but would need to verify my employment. I submitted a screenshot of the HR website showing my hire date and my title.
    12. He called on Tuesday of the next week (week 4) to say that the screenshot I submitted was sufficient to verify my employment, but that they'd also need to verify my salary via paystub or W2 (this requirement, to me, is ridiculous). It turns out that what they want you to put into the online application you fill out (as the process moves along) is your actual base salary. I'd entered an approximation of my overall compensation package. So I provided him with how that number broke out and he said he'd get back to me.
    13. Two days later, on Thursday (week 4), he called me and told me that they'd need documentation supporting the number listed on my application or would have to report to the hiring manager that I had failed to pass my background check. I laughed and said that we'd obviously need to part ways then since I wasn't going to forge a fake paystub just to meet some arbitrary requirement. Clearly it would be possible to update the application with whatever number they wanted to go on it, they just didn't care enough to do so.

All in all, I was very happy with my interactions with the actual people I would have been working with. They seemed like warm, intelligent, good people. The work also seemed interesting. I'm rating Mitchell negatively because of the HR side of their hiring practices. The need to provide salary verification is absolutely unnecessary--it doesn't benefit the candidate, only Mitchell. Obviously, if I requested to see exit interviews of previous data scientists, or to see pay stubs of current employees, they would request my request. So I'm astonished that they don't see how hypocritical it is to request pay stubs and salary verification from candidates. Let's be clear: most of my family and friends don't even tell other family members or friends about their compensation (salary, etc.), so I find it amazing that Mitchell expects this data to be shared with them.

So at the end of the day, I'm very disappointed in HR side of Mitchell, though I can't help feeling like I may have dogged a bullet here. In order to improve their hiring practices they need to stop doing two things: 1) requiring candidates to take a personality test (the so called "skill assessment" is anything but), and 2) requiring salary verification. Almost no one does either of #1 or #2, and for good reason. They're not necessary or helpful in finding and hiring quality candidates.

I appreciate the opportunity to interview with the excellent individuals I did, but I cannot recommend Mitchell to other job seekers until they alter their hiring practices.

Interview Questions

• Can you share with me a situation in which you failed, and how you responded to your failure? (not verbatim, just as best I can remember)   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Level 3-4-5 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mitchell International (San Diego, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

First round speak with a technical engineer to pass through the phone screen on following question:
    REST and web service
    testing and mockup
    multiple threads
    SOLID principles

Second round speak with the hr to discuss with the salary and benefits.

Interview Questions

• REST and web service
      testing and mockup