NRDC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NRDC Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

Interim Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at NRDC (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

It was a fast hire as it was a temp position that needed to be filled asap. I got a call through a staffing agency and then came in the next day for an interview with the office coordinator and one manager over the phone. It was casual and to the point. I felt at ease and comfortable.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle slow moments?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NRDC (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Pretty straight forward interview process. Only got a phone interview but it lasted about 50 minutes. A coordinator from the San Francisco office called and asked many questions from a list that the team hiring gave her. The person was polite and very informative. She recommended that I follow up the next week to check on the status of my interview process. However, when I followed up the next week I never got a response back. Seemed a bit unprofessional, because she was the one who told me to follow up and promised she would respond.

When I asked about where the position could lead, she responded that it could lead to a variety of jobs. She said some people leave for other companies or go back to school. She said some people apply to become campaign organizers or work in other positions at NRDC. She also said some people stay programs assistants for many years and are happy just doing that. Overall, they are looking for more ways to integrate upward mobility into the position.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NRDC (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

I had one interview with the Operations Manager and Executive Director. I then was asked to come in a week and a half later for a second interview, this time members of HR and the communications team were preset. The first interview was more of them explaining what the job was and what they needed. The second interview was more of a conversation amongst the team and how I would fit in if I was brought on board. While 5 people to an interview was a bit different for me, as I have never had more than 3 people, it was a very relaxed setting and enjoyable conversation.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle managing up in a position like Administrative assistant?
      What kind of skills would you like to walk away from the position with?
      How do you handle working in an open environment? What environment are you use to?

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NRDC.

Interview

I had a phone screen with the HR rep in DC. It's was brief, basic and easy. He asked me simple questions and it was less than half an hour. It's was bit informal because this is just 1 out of 3 interviews. It took about a week to get a call back from the local office that I was applying for.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about the job?
      Why do you want to work for NRDC?
      How would you handle multiple deadlines?

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NRDC.

Interview

Pretty general questions like why do you want to intern at NRDC. They asked me to briefly introduce myself and talked a bit about their project. Then two nice staff showed me around the office. The interview took less than 20 mins. It seems like they were in need of a summer intern to fill the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NRDC (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

I went through two rounds of interviews, on was an HR screening and the other was an in person interview with 4 professionals I would work with if I got the job (two scientists and two lawyers). Everyone was extremely nice and friendly, but the HR employee called me 30 minutes before my scheduled call, and at times I felt like one of the in person interviewers asked very pointed questions. After the whole process I never heard back as to whether or not I got the position, despite sending two follow emails. It would have been nice for them to get back to me, even if they were not planning on offering me the posiiton

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Why specifically do you want to work for this program?
      How do you feel about doing administrative work and how do you work with multiple deadlines?

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at NRDC.

Interview

Throughout the process, everyone involved was extremely pleasant and insightful, though it seemed NRDC unfortunately did not have the proper resources to adequately manage the entire process from start to finish. I was disappointed in how they failed to notify me in the long-run about the decision and update the job website. This was even after following up and continuing to express interest in the role with the program lead. The team was extremely fun to Skype and discuss my career goals with, though and offered great advice into the field of environmental law and into the day-to-day of NRDC. I would note that the Skype software that they utilize is through Microsoft, so you must download another plug-in before signing into it.

Interview Questions

• In what importance would you rank the three attributes: professionalism, creativity and attention to detail?   Answer Question

Human Resources Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at NRDC (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I got a call from recruiter for this position in second last week of Feb 2016, i applied and got an interview call in the next week (last week of Feb). The interview process took about 1 hour, the interviewers were quite humble and polite. The interview went really well and seemed to be interested and said they need to fill this position immediately, asked my availability (if i can join from 2nd week of March) and gave me a date next week (1st week of March ) that i will be updated. After then, i followed up with the recruiter twice, but there was no update until end of March.

Interview Questions

• Name a few examples on the reports and analysis delivered by you?   Answer Question

Advocate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at NRDC (Washington, DC) in July 2015.

Interview

I was offered one time slot in which to interview. I responded 25 minutes later to say that time slot would not work, offering many alternatives. The HR contractor responded four days later to say all slots had been filled except one option, which I reluctantly accepted.

The interview itself was via Skype for Business, which I was not told until the morning of the interview. I was originally told it was via regular Skype. The difference is not significant, but it was frustrating to figure out what else I needed to download and how to login to Skype for Business on the morning of the interview.

I had two interviewers in different locations. One was respectful and asked regular interview questions. The other interviewer was extremely unprofessional. She walked into the room late (the camera was already on) and appeared frazzled and frustrated. She had a negative, condescending, and accusatory attitude, approaching the interview as if her role was to determine where my resume was lying. At one point, I mentioned that I worked with a third party organization and had friends that worked there. Her response was, "Oh yea, who? Who do you know that works there? Give me their names!" Although seven years had passed since I worked with that organization, I still gave her a name. She then asked for more names and was unsatisfied.

Lastly, the job posting itself specified that the work would involve a particular industry. The interviewers told me they already had people working on that industry, so they didn't have a need there. I'm not sure why they posted the job in the first place.

I don't typically write reviews like this, but I had to vent somewhere. It was probably the worst interview I've ever had.

Interview Questions

• Who do you know at X organization?! You said you know people there. Give me their names!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NRDC (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Only got a phone call and the interviewer asked the most basic questions. Said they would follow-up with me in the next couple of days but never received an answer. It was unprofessional of them to ignore my phone call and email regarding the position status, regardless of the outcome.

Interview Questions

• How did you find out about this position at the NRDC?   1 Answer