Naughty Dog Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Naughty Dog

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Naughty Dog (Santa Monica, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Naughty Dog had been advertising for multiple positions for nearly a year. My impression is that they are either very picky or are using their postings to perpetually troll for new recruits. Either way, despite my many years experience, I was asked to perform a "technical interview" as my first interview. They had a Junior Engineer call me and basically give me a pop quiz over the phone on subject matter and minutiae that I have rarely had a practical use for nor did it overlap with the requirements for the job I thought I was interviewing for. At best, my experience with them was cold and confusing. At worst, I would consider them incompetent and generally unable to truly assess the abilities of those they interview.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was when they asked me to provide them the result of 2 to the power of 8. Really?   5 Answers

Temp Animator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Naughty Dog in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and then they sent an animation test within a day (which I was very excited about). The animation test was not easy- it was long enough that they knew I couldn't get to a polish stage, so I had to push as quickly as I could to get in the basics. A couple days after I sent my animation test back, I got an email asking for a phone interview for the next day. The phone interview covered my resume and my animation test; they asked for my own critique on my animation test, and what I would finish or improve given more time. It was pretty straightforward and I appreciated their timeliness.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to describe how I got to where I am today; essentially they wanted to hear me tell the story of what was on my resume.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Naughty Dog.

Interview

Went well, first interview and went in for a second interview. The first interview was over the phone with a recruiter and quick-fire questions, the second interview is in person and longer (roughly 30-45 minutes).

Interview Questions

• Mostly Linear Algebra and plane equations with hexidecimal. One should know how to represent a negative number in hexidecimal, and plane point, plane line equations. Also requires some information about data layouts and virtual functions.   Answer Question

Game Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Naughty Dog in November 2013.

Interview

Emailed to setup a technical phone interview 2 days after being called.

An hour before beginning, I got a phone call from them to remind me. It threw me into a bit of a panic at first and though I had timezones confused, it was unexpected.

Hour later, I got the interviewer phone call. He immediately jumped into technical questions, really fast, back to back for about 15-30 minutes.

I froze during some of the questions. Really badly on the EASIEST questions. I nailed the harder ones, but in my opinion (and I think they agreed), if you can't get the easy ones right it doesn't matter. It wasn't that I didn't know them - I definitely knew the answers any other time you could ask me, but I just babbled like a goof without thinking. Worst performance in an interview ever, and I'm not sure why I had such an issue that day. Still haunts me at nights how rediculous I probably sounded.

The harder questions are the vector math questions. They expect you to know how to do vector math on the spot, or at least describe how to do some common operations and game tricks. There are some surprisingly obvious/easy questions in regards to general programming, but if you're like me and sometimes speak off the top of you're head like a goofball having a bad day, these questions will burn you.

Got an email back the following week saying they decided to move on.

Game Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Naughty Dog (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Very technical interview and very hard in my opinion some what relevent and some what not but overall its an average interview.You hav eto be fully prepared in order to get a job here because they seek the very best.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Naughty Dog (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was very hard. The first question was -> what is 2^4 and I'm like WTF. All questions were related to vector and algebra math. They even mocked me by saying "please look at your notes and answer from there" .. they knew I had my notes on me. WTF again. Very hard interview. Good luck!

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Naughty Dog in May 2017.

Interview

Well first of all, awesome interview process, straight forward, to the point no BS.
    I applied online, after one of our college alumni told about the opening, got a call next day to setup an interview. I selected a date 2 weeks ahead and recruiter was fine with it.

First round
    They said it could last upto an hour, this one took only about 20 mins, the interviewer called an jumped directly to questions, pretty basic questions about vector math and some basic questions about C++ and inheritance. Every programmer can pass this first round super easy. I got a call half an hour after the interview telling me that I passed the interview.
    And I scheduled the next one 2 weeks after that, now the scary part of this next round was that it was with Jason Gregory himself.

Second Round
    This lasted for about 1 hours 15 mins, some of the questions were repeated from first round, but this one went about 45 mins into vector math. You need to know each and every application of cross and dot product, thoroughly. Next half an hour was programming part, this was basic inheritance to pretty low level programming questions related to cache and memory allocation. I couldnt answer those questions properly and for vector math Jason helped me multiple times, and according to him, I should have been able to breeze through those questions.
    Will definitely apply again next year.

Interview Questions

• Vector math, not just cross and dot product, but each and every application of those two.   Answer Question
    • Low level programming question relation to memory allocation, hierarchy and management.   Answer Question

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Naughty Dog in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online on their website and received an email about two weeks later to set up a technical phone interview. They asked various questions from low-level architecture to 3D mathematics.

Interview Questions

• What is 2 to the power of 8?   1 Answer

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Naughty Dog (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

They sent out a test edit(albeit filled with errors).
    They responded really quickly and setup a phone call and then a relaxed phone call lead to a very intense in-person interview. During my in-person interview I was impressed by half the team and discouraged by the other half. While on the tour of their studio I saw my resume and website on the computers for a few of the guys that would later interview me. Thought it was rather late in the game for them to just now be reviewing my stuff but whatever. The interview related a lot to my test which was rather awhile ago at this point. I think they produce great quality work here however I think this place suffers from production hell. They tried to sell me on the idea that "we encourage overtime" as if that's a selling point? If you're good at your job you shouldn't stay let just to prove your worth; you should be able to finish your work in 8 hour day.

Interview Questions

• Why did you edit this the way you did?   1 Answer

Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Naughty Dog.

Interview

For me it was a 3 step process. First quick phone screen, longer more in depth second phone interview, and then an in person. Each phase was very math oriented with some general programming concepts mixed in. The recruiter moved me through the process very quickly.