Naughty Dog Interview Questions

Updated Feb 10, 2021

To filter interviews, or .

Interviews at Naughty Dog

3.2
HardAverageEasy
Found 37 candidate interviews
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ukraine
Application

I interviewed at Naughty Dog (Ukraine)

Interview

Allpying to NaughtyDog via open application is like applying to black hole. Naughty Dog never came back with a single letter, even “thank you for your application” one. Most likely I won’t try one more time even if i see a perfect job there

Interview Questions
  • You have to write a cover letter which won’t be read
    Answer Question
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Naughty Dog (Los Angeles, CA) in Dec 2020

Interview

Firstly I'd like the point out that this Environment TD position is a 6-month contract position for an entry level role. I was told they needed to do this because the pandemic limited their hiring possibilities for entry-level full-time positions. They said if it were full-time, they'd ask for at least 5 years experience. The entire interview process took about 2 months. This was during the pandemic and the holidays, so understandably people were busy, but I've spoken with other AAA game companies a lot faster during this time period. First, I was given an art test, then I did two interviews. I was supposed to do three interviews, but they turned me down after the second when I spoke with a lead. The Art Test was time consuming and took me about 6 hours to complete. They give you a full week to complete the test, so I had enough time to do this, but it still feels like unpaid work (especially when I don't get an offer). The questions were a mix of programming and open ended questions that were mostly related to Maya Python. Both interviews felt very technical and to the point. No small talk, pleasantries, or ice breaking. It wasn't conversational whatsoever. They just jumped straight into my experience and asked very pointed and specific questions about every project I've worked on. I'd have to explain, and justify every feature I made, as well as come up with solutions of how I would improve it. They were also very curious about how much team experience I have as a tech artist, which given that I'm a recent college grad - not much. Later in both interviews they asked math questions, such as linear algebra questions and how to implement certain mathematical functions from scratch. I naturally have a lot of test anxiety and a horrible memory and even though I work with these math functions and linear algebra all the time at previous jobs and throughout college, I struggled giving sufficient answers to these. It also really didn't help that the interview was so impersonal and stressful. It very much felt like they made up their mind before we even started the interview. Also, because of the news about Naughty Dog's work culture posted earlier in the year, I asked about overtime, and they responded with "it varies depending on department and what part of the dev cycle we're in, but we have really passionate people here who like to get their work done even after work hours." Suffice to say they aren't really addressing the problem, but pretending like it's not there now that they've recently released a game. Given how difficult employment is during this pandemic, and that this is a entry level contract position, I'm thoroughly amazed by Naughty Dog's high standards and rigorous interviewing process. I understand that the game industry is hard to get into and that there is a higher supply than demand, but this level of gate keeping is really telling of Naughty Dog's lack of empathy and healthy work culture. On top of that in terms of my contact with the recruiter, it was also very impersonal. We never spoke on the phone, just email, and it would take days to hear a response. When I was finally turned down it wasn't even from the recruiter, it was just a pre-generated no-reply email, which just felt very rude and impersonal. Overall, I don't think I'll ever apply to work at Naughty Dog again. I get a strong condescending, impersonal, workaholic vibe from them.

Interview Questions
Naughty Dog
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Naughty Dog (Los Angeles, CA) in Oct 2020

Interview

Simple, very direct and overall, it was all about proving that you are capable of grasping some mathematical concepts that are fundamental to program for a 3D environment. Furthermore, the interview is composed of two phone calls to ask technical questions.

Interview Questions
Naughty Dog
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Naughty Dog (United States) in Oct 2020

Interview

Interview process was comprised of two online phone interviews. The initial interview was a positive experience and was pleasant. The second interview was with two interviewers, one of whom was pleasant. The other was hostile, cagey and had trouble getting to the point of the questions they were asking. The overall second interview experience left me feeling frustrated and aggravated, and I had I received an offer after that I would’ve politely declined. The HR team should educate the team members on how to properly interview a candidate, as I can confidently say this was one of the most bizarre and uncomfortable interview experiences I’ve had in my many years of interviewing and working.

Interview Questions
  • The questions were phrased so poorly and in such a convoluted manner that I truly can’t even recall.
Anonymous Employee in United States
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Naughty Dog (United States)

Interview

The hiring process consisted of a very pleasant Skype interview, followed by an in person interview with the QA team. The team was very kind and professional, both remotely and in person.

Interview Questions
Naughty Dog
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Naughty Dog (United States)

Interview

Interview consisted of a phone screen then a video interview with the head game developers. The phone screen was with a member of the team, and lasted about an hour and a half. The video interview lasted around 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
  • How would you go about implementing x system. For me, they wanted me to walk them through the process of implementing a simple event in a game.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Naughty Dog (United States)

Interview

The person in charge of setting up my interview sent me an e-mail looking for my availability over the next two weeks, They got back to me the next business and scheduled the interview for the very next day. The interview was what I would consider fairly standard given what the listing was asking for. The questions fell roughly into three categories basic algorithms, C++ understanding, and math. The interview itself took around 40 minutes and was fairly typical for a game programming interview.

Interview Questions
  • What is the equation for a plane.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Naughty Dog (Los Angeles, CA)

Interview

I applied, I got a test, I made the test, I got a rejection email. I asked for feedback but they said they where too busy to give feedback.

Naughty Dog
    Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Naughty Dog

Interview

After phone screening, if you are a foreigner you will be requested to provide O-1 documents whether you are qualified to move to the states. If you are not, the interview process will not proceed.

Interview Questions
    Naughty Dog
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA
    Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Naughty Dog (Santa Monica, CA)

Interview

I sent in an application and within days received an email from a recruiter with instructions for a test assignment. It took 3 days to complete the test. After submitting the test, I was contacted again a week later for a 5 minute phone interview, and then received an email a few days later saying the company decided to go with another candidate.

Interview Questions
    Viewing 1 - 10 of 37