New Relic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

For the interview process on the marketing end, I initially met with my VP, head of competitive, and those who would be my peers. the interviews went smoothly, and I genuinely felt that everyone cared about interacting and gathering my feedback...I felt welcome.

They wanted to my approach to product marketing, specifically around moving products through a go-to-market strategy.

After initial interviews with marketing, I moved on to speak with members of their product teams. I believe they wanted to understand how well I would work alongside my peers within their product division.

In all, their interview process ran smoothly, with a rep from recruiting guiding all interactions and next steps.

The people at New Relic are serious about making great products for their very technical DevOps audience, but not so serious that they avoid talking about the human element (which matters equally to them).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about how you took a product to market previously.   Answer Question

Outbound Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and heard back pretty quickly from Cat Blue (awesome recruiter!). We had a 30 min phone conversation where she asked about my background and explained the role. The next step was a phone interview with the hiring manager. Was a pleasant conversation. He started with getting to know a little about me personally before diving into my experience. The final step was an onsite panel interview with 3 managers and 1 member of the outbound SDR team. All the conversations were really helpful. They asked about my experience and let me ask them many questions as well. I heard back within a few days that we'd be moving forward with an offer, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about yourself 2) Why sales? 3) How comfortable are you with learning technical terms/language 4) Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 5) Tell me about management styles you've liked/disliked   Answer Question

Associate Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

I had a phone interview to start the process, and then was brought in for a full afternoon of 30-45 minute interviews with 3 different managers, as well as the VP of sales.

Interview Questions

• What could I bring to the table for a fast growing startup that would help it continue to achieve success.   Answer Question

Negotiation

very pleasant and open

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at New Relic (Portland, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

The company reached out to me for a phone interview with the hiring manager, which I had a couple weeks later. Most of the questions in this preliminary interview had to do with my views on work culture and how I have handled conflict in previous jobs. I was then given a follow up in-person interview, which was scheduled for about 3 weeks later. The entire in person interview lasted from 8am to 2pm. Over the course of the day I interviewed with about 6 people, including the hiring manager, members of the team I would be working on and other team leaders. While my overall experience was generally positive (everyone was very nice, they bought me lunch, etc.), I'm not really a fan of how they structure the technical portions of their interviews. I was basically presented with a few different code challenges with no context or preparation time beforehand. I am not a fan of these kinds of "white board" challenges because I do not think that they accurately reflect how a person would perform in a real work context. About a week after the interview, I heard back from the hiring manager saying that they were going with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Most of the technical questions were in the form of small code challenges, which were either performed on a computer or sketched out on a white board.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New Relic (Portland, OR) in June 2013.

Interview

Originally contacted by an internal recruiter. Replied with interest and set up a 20 minute phone call with recruiter. Answered basic questions about experience, interest, reason for looking for a new job. Ended the call with a plan to schedule a meeting with the hiring manager (since the position is in the city I live in).

Had coffee with hiring manager and discussed position specifics, company and my interest/experience. Arranged for a code challenge at their office the following Friday

Went to their office for a code challenge, was shown around the office and went to a conference room. Was given Fizz Buzz level challenge involving csv data processing and aggregation. Discussed, whiteboarded, then was given laptop and wrote up solution and tested against test data.

Got a call back for an all day on site interview. On site consisted of a series of ~1hr 1:1 meetings with team members and people the position interacts with. Most interviews involved discussing of development process or previous challenges. Two involved light coding against test scenarios.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

1. phone conversation with a recruiter and a manager
    2. take home project
    3. onsite interview with 5 interviewers

It took me a while to complete the interview process (take home project and other interviews). But the process is well organized and the recruiter did a great job to follow up

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New Relic (Seattle, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

I had one phone screen with a hiring manager, which was followed up by on-site interviews that took most of the day. Interviews were mixed, but over the course of the day it became clear that different people had different expectations for the role. Some people clearly wanted a .NET developer to work on some very specific tasks, and others wanted an experienced developer who knew how to architect and scale applications deployed to the cloud. My skills are definitely the latter, and not the former, so the end result was predictable.
    This was the Seattle office, which is a smaller and perhaps less experienced group than the one in Portland. I also happened to have interviewed with the Portland office some time ago, and found them to have a much more disciplined approach to hiring. Better focus on what they were looking for and better testing of skills.
    Which just goes to show that you not only need to find a great company, which I believe New Relic to be, but also find the right team in that company.

Interview Questions

• If you were a character in a movie or book, who would it be? And please don't say Captain Kirk, because lots of people say that.   Answer Question

New Relic Response

Apr 13, 2015 – VP, People

Thank you for your feedback, and I appreciate that you took the time to provide it. We've discussed your concerns with recruiters involved, and with the hiring team. The Seattle group is in fact... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Interview with New Relic is the worst in all of my job search history in my life. It is surprising how such a popular company in industry is so highly unethical and careless about other people's time.

Chronologically the whole process was look like this:
    I applied via recruiter and was invited to a screening interview at recruiter's office on Monday.
    Next day after the interview (Tuesday), recruiter told me that they want to invite me to an on-site interview on Friday.
    On Wednesday morning I received take home project and I had 2 days (till Thursday evening) to finish the project and upload it to my github account.
    The same day I was asked by the recruiter if we can reschedule our on-site interview to Monday morning next week. Despite that one month ago I already planned behind the wheel driving test on Monday morning, I decided that interview is more important and rescheduled my driving test for the next available day, which is 5 weeks later. I didn't get any updates on Friday and the last time I talked with recruiter on Friday, everything was confirmed regarding the interview on Monday.

Interview day. 30 minutes prior to interview I got a call from recruiter regarding the location of the office and at that point everything was ok.

10.30am - I am in the office of New Relic. Registered, got my badge and was waiting in the reception for the person who should interview me. Suddenly call from a recruiter and he tells me that there is something wrong with my take home project and quality of code and they don't want to waste my time and decided not to interview me. Really? I mean, do you really check it 1 minute prior to interview? When I am in your office? When I did a 1.5 hour commute to get there?

It is not about reject and I am not resentful. Maybe I am the worth candidate for them and I did the project in a most disgusting way in the human being history. But you can tell me about that at least the day upfront. Nobody from the company even bothered to come to the reception and tell me what happened, they preferred tell my recruiter to call me. I just feel cheated because I wasted 1 week of my time preparing for the interview reading the company blog, testing NR products, rescheduled my exam which I was waiting for almost 1 month and now have to wait for another month. I don't have enough words to say about how much angry I was because of the whole situation.

Don't waster your time with them. They don't value it.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New Relic.

Interview

The interview process dragged on for months and it seemed like communication was breaking down internally. The interview was not very technical at all but somehow they drew the conclusion that I lacked the technical skills required for the role. Their products seem really interesting and the office space was really nice, but I overall was not impressed with the interview process. It was disorganized and the people involved appeared disinterested.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about monitoring particular method calls in an application? What kinds of things would you measure and how?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at New Relic (Portland, OR) in February 2016.

Interview

Chatted with a recruiter about my skills, who promised to get back to me with a position in the next few days. Three weeks later after multiple follow ups he offered to submit my application for a senior role, which I was delighted about, despite the fact they had taken so long. I then had two in-office ~30 minute meetings (separate days) with managers from the team before eventually being invited in for a whole-day interview where I met with each team member. Everyone I met was nice and I think the interview was very fair but I found the lack of communication from the recruiter to be awful and the whole process took a -really- long time. Nearly 60 days between being putting in touch with the recruiter and hearing my decision.

Most of the actual interviews were sane. I had a guy plainly admit he had just got back from holiday, was tired, and hadn't looked at my resume. I also had to spend a whole hour over lunch with the main boss, which can get a little awkward. He was super nice, but after all, we're programmers.

Worst of all, when I received my invitation to the final interview I noticed they had casually demoted the role to which I was applying from senior to regular. I asked the recruiter via email, who said he would call me the day before my interview. He then stood me up -three- times in one day for a phone call and we never got to discuss it.

After my interviews I got an email telling me that they were looking for someone with more experience in X. I wasn't particularly surprised not to get the job, but I did wonder why they bothered to spend several hours interviewing me when my experience was clearly detailed on my resume (I had 0 years experience in X, there was no ambiguity).

To sum up, I'm not resentful of NR for not offering me the job, but I do feel like I had my time wasted. I had so many follow-up emails ignored, which I think is inexcusable. It takes 10s to write a simple "sorry, we're really busy, this is taking longer than expected; I'll write to you next week hopefully". Even if you're somehow able to justify ignoring applicants, I think missing several phone calls in one day is simply unacceptable.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I was given a referral by a current employee at the time, so can't speak to response time of recruiters to applications submitted online. After the referral, I was reached out to by an internal recruiter who quickly got me in touch with the hiring manager. The hiring manager brought me in for an on-site introduction and informal "are-you-insane-or-not" screen. After that, I received a small coding challenge which took about ~2 hours of total work to complete. The hiring manager was on vacation the week I wanted to submit my coding challenge, but once they were back they had it reviewed and scheduled an on-site interview within about a week. The on-site interview was with three software engineers and two managers, one of which was the hiring manager I had been speaking with already. The interviews themselves basically boiled down to four informal conversations with the engineers and one of the managers, and a very high-level technical exercise with the other manager. I was given an offer immediately after the rounds of interviewing.

Interview Questions

• How would build the various components of a mobile Battleship game?   1 Answer