New Relic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

For the interview process on the marketing end, I initially met with my VP, head of competitive, and those who would be my peers. the interviews went smoothly, and I genuinely felt that everyone cared about interacting and gathering my feedback...I felt welcome.

They wanted to my approach to product marketing, specifically around moving products through a go-to-market strategy.

After initial interviews with marketing, I moved on to speak with members of their product teams. I believe they wanted to understand how well I would work alongside my peers within their product division.

In all, their interview process ran smoothly, with a rep from recruiting guiding all interactions and next steps.

The people at New Relic are serious about making great products for their very technical DevOps audience, but not so serious that they avoid talking about the human element (which matters equally to them).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about how you took a product to market previously.   Answer Question

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New Relic (Portland, OR).

Interview

1) Technical phone screen with hiring manager
    2) Non-technical phone screen with recruiter discussing benefits
    3) 1-hour pair programming exercise on-site.
    4) 6-hour on-site with various members on the team, ranging from technical to culture.

Interview Questions

• What security measures would you put in place for a brand new video streaming service? Elaborate on each item.   Answer Question
    • Given a particular message you need to convey, how would you draft out a mass email to all developers in the org.   Answer Question

Data Center Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New Relic (Chicago, IL) in June 2018.

Interview

Applied online. Got a call from the recruiter within a week. Interviews were scheduled all within 7 days. Everyone was laid back and asked a mix of technical and behavioral questions. Super nice! Moved very fast.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult situation you handled as a leader and what could you have done better?   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very fair, traditional interview process. No hypothetical or trick questions. Initial screen was with a recruiter, then I met with a hiring manager and 3 peers. Everyone was very friendly and positive. All of the discussions were around my prior experience, what I knew about the space, competition, etc. Final step was a simulated case study/presentation, for which I had as much time to prepare as I needed.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle juggling multiple priorities that all have different stakeholders?   1 Answer

HR Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New Relic (Portland, OR) in May 2018.

Interview

The interview process was comprehensive. I got to speak with the hiring manager multiple times and multiple people that the role interacts with. I felt like I had a great opportunity to share my background with everyone on the interview slate and I walked away with a comprehensive understanding of the organization and the role. I'm two weeks into the role now and my experience thus far is very much aligned with what I learned in the interview process. My experience so far has actually exceeded expectations!

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New Relic (Portland, OR) in April 2018.

Interview

NR recently started a new recruiting behavior called "bundling" presumably to build great cultural gains. The process for me included four interviews totaling about 4 hours before being culled for unknown reason(s).
    1st: 30 min telephone interview with HR; (very interactive)
    2nd: 45 video meeting with "hiring" director; (great)
    3rd: 60 minute (2nd) telephone conversation with "hiring" director; (awesome)
    4th: 30 minute video meeting with a pooling director colleague.
    Final: Robo-email received dismissing me as a candidate citing generic reasons and platitudes which job seekers are all too familiar with. Presumably, NR's bandwidth does not allow for providing once-valued candidates the courtesy of their shortcomings.
    Nevertheless, I found the experience rewarding and nearly everyone with whom I spoke to be very sincere and caring people. I believe the video interviews are not part of any AI based assessment, such as from Hirevue, now so often a common approach in the high-tech sector.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the journey you're on and why you're interested in being a product manager? (twice asked)   1 Answer
    • What makes you interested in New Relic specifically and in this role? (twice asked)   1 Answer
    • Give me an example of the biggest challenge you've faced as a product manager; provide situation and how you worked through it?   Answer Question
    • Are you sure you want to move to Portland? (asked this three times)   1 Answer
    • Question I asked: What attribute is highly sought for this role?   1 Answer
    • Question I asked: How is a new hire evaluated in the first 90 days? How does New Relic complete performance assessments and, if so, how often?   1 Answer
    • Question I asked: What do you love most about working at New Relic?   1 Answer

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New Relic (Portland, OR) in April 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. The call only lasted 20 minutes. She did not ask any relevant work-related questions. She merely focused on the product that my last employer made (no relation to this job) and why I had a gap on my resume SIX years ago. She did not take time to describe the company, job, or allow me to ask any of my prepared questions. This person and interview did not reflect your core value of authenticity because there was a lot of bias and judging going on! Recruiters need to do better.

Interview Questions

• What product did your last company make?
      Why did you leave your last job? Of, you left without having another job?
      So, you really had a 1-year employment gap six years ago? It took you that long to find a job?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New Relic in April 2018.

Interview

A series of calls with various leaders in the organization, seeking to determine if my skills and experience were a best fit for both the company culture and the specific role.

Interview Questions

• How did I believe that my skills and background both fit and might not fit with the role; and given where the company was heading, how did I plan to close any gaps?   1 Answer

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New Relic (Cincinnati, OH) in April 2018.

Interview

I had send out an email directly to one of the recruiters that I identified on LinkedIn. They replied after a couple of week and they were very interested to talk.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New Relic in April 2018.

Interview

I was referred to New Relic by a current employee and received a phone call from recruitment a few days later. They gave some additional insight on the company and values and then scheduled phone interviews with technical resources and managers. Overall it was pretty casual if you are already familiar with the APM industry.

Interview Questions

• What do you view as the most useful product in the New Relic toolset   Answer Question

Growth Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New Relic (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2018.

Interview

Personable rotation of potential future team members and deep insights. I had an initial PR interview, was forwarded to an interview with my direct manager, and ended a week or two later with a rotational interview between the 4-person team I'd be joining with 30 min segments per person totaling a 2 hour interview. I got word of my acceptance within a week after.

New Relic employees want to know that you'd be excited to work with them as much as they'd be excited to work with you. And they communicate all of that. I found that you are at total freedom to ask questions regarding work life, culture, etc. In fact they encourage it. New Relic is maturing fast, but they continue to maintain that family-feel both before, during, and after the interview process. Ask questions and get a sense of whether you'd enjoy working in the New Relic atmosphere, and you will be set up to succeed in whichever position you may end up in.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join New Relic, a mid-sized SaaS company, at this particular point in your life and going forward.   1 Answer