New Relic Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 13, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Nice environment/work life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Fantastic co-workers, great office and an ample supply of challenging work (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • typical growing pains and politics (in 15 reviews)

• isolation outside San Francisco, small/medium size biz sales people in SF blowing through quotas while enterprise reps are struggling badly (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Most Amazing Company I have ever experienced"

Former Employee - Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Jose, CA

I worked at New Relic (More than a year)

Pros

Let's just say I Love Love this company. This was my first startup and coming from larger companies ranging from 5,000 employees to as big as 60,000 employees. I was part of the Finance team and I must say the team is great! Management is bright and they are actually very supportive. Everyone is really smart and got along very well. We are all busy but people are willing to help each other out.

I actually had a very general image of starts up, where everyone works a lot. That is not true at New Relic. Yes there are some days where you may put in extra hours but 80% of the time it was average and manageable.

There were so many fun events at New Relic that it made work very enjoyable. From the monthly party to the sales kick off events. It was all very fun. I can't decide if the futurestack party of the Holiday party was better. Both was beyond epic. But besides from the actual events the people made it more enjoyable. At a big company I would definitely have to worry about what I say or how I act, however at New Relic I felt I can be myself without being judged.

Another great thing about New Relic is the growth! Holy moly there are a lot of people that got multiple promotions. So yes if you work hard people do acknowledge your hard work. Couple sales manager got promoted, a lot of Finance people got promoted, if not all that stayed more than 1-1.5 years, sales operations got promotion too. Promotion left and right but I felt it was all well deserved as they worked hard.

Sadly I'm no longer working at New Relic, mainly because I got a better offer somewhere else. But everything else about them is a plus.

Cons

Not everyone was promoted in the same amount of time, I feel this is more due to the position rather than how much had work was put in

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Don't change your management style as the company grows bigger

2. "Amazing company to work at"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at New Relic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity is everywhere as the company grows, really supportive and fun place to work, great place to grow your career if you want to.

Cons

Growing pains as the company expands internationally and figures out the logistics and policies to put in place.

"Watch out for the new CMO"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at New Relic (More than 3 years)

Pros

Engineering, product, and sales teams are great

Cons

New CMO has brought in a toxic culture, fired many solid performers, and pushed morale to new lows. Those amazing New Relic ads you saw on billboards across San Francisco and the web? Yeah, the creative team behind that was fired. The marketing leadership that encouraged people to be bold? They were marginalized and seeing their careers going backwards at New Relic, decided it was best to leave.

If you're a recruiter looking for quality marketing hires, look for Relics that started in 2015 or earlier. They'll probably be looking to leave.

Advice to Management

Hire leaders that fit with New Relic's values

"Unfortunate shortcomings in management ruined what could've been a great experience"

I worked at New Relic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many of the people were some of the most brilliant, competent, friendly, and fun people I've ever seen in a corporate workplace. This used to be New Relic's culture through and through. Over time, all the "good ones" left, and it showed.

Cons

Poor management. There are maybe 1-3 VPs who are not passive aggressive, politicking, manipulative, spiteful, overall terrible people and are genuine leaders. They are all in the product and engineering organization or finance organization. The rest are checked out, waiting for their shares to vest. It showed. A lot.

I was here for 2.5 years (since winter 2015). The first year was overall great. As the days wore on, the focus on "doing good work" lessened and became more about "optics" and doing BS work and trying to navigate the political waters. I was told to push back on things we didn't care about I was over worked, and underpaid, but she was frequently on holidays and "could not be reached," while I was expected to be available all day and night. There was no "leading by example." To make matters worse, I was constantly belittled and reminded that I was not "a VP" or on my manager's level. It was impossible to get anything approved or reviewed.

I had a great experience here to begin with, and it's disappointing that my day to day experience with my manager (yes, a Vice President, as she loved to remind us) eventually became so poor that I had to leave.

Advice to Management

Vet your management better. There are some VPs who are extremely poorly qualified to manage people and who lead and engage with others through fear and passive aggressive tactics. They force you to be accountable for things that are far above your pay grade but then they remind you that you're not "on their level" and that they are a "VP."

When I left, my boss hinted that she knew my new manager and vaguely implied that she knew things about me that she'd be happy to pass on.

6. "Sales"

I worked at New Relic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture in the beginning and great technology

Cons

typical growing pains and politics

Advice to Management

don't forget your culture

"Mid-Market Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive, Mid-Market in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive, Mid-Market in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at New Relic full-time

Pros

- Compared to other companies I've worked at, I'm surround by really bright and hard working colleagues.
    - Great product to sell and seems to be really well received and valued by buyers
    - The company feels much more mature and grown up (in a good way) compared to a lot of other "start ups" in the City.
    - Compensation seems to be at the higher end of the market.

Cons

I think a lot of the challenges that surfaced in earlier reviews have been addressed, particularly in regards to the changes that come with going public and shifting of leadership.

That said, despite some big efforts to centralize information w/ products like Jive, there's still a long way to go in terms of moving institutional knowledge out of people's heads and into a more readily accessible resource.

Advice to Management

I think that top of funnel marketing and SDR support needs to be increased and I'm still unclear what role our renewals team plays.

"Whip cracking dinosaurs with pleated pants - Enterprise Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Enterprise Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Enterprise Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at New Relic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The CEO is awesome, product management is strong, some of the best sales engineers I have ever worked with in my career.

Cons

Hail the Oracle dinosaurs from the early 2000's at New Relic. This place is full of them. Washed up leadership that has the management style of "my way or the highway". Most of them don't have any industry APM experience and run their business from behind a spreadsheet. Looking to get promoted? No chance, these leaders hire their old network from outside the company. Enterprise Field sales has no voice and gets treated like a 3rd class citizen from Finance and Legal. No one is hitting their numbers and no one is making any big money here. Career development is non existent. The main reason for that is the leadership doesn't know how to do it. They are over hiring with no real strategy on execution. The turn over at this company is like nothing I have ever seen. Leadership thinks that they are hiring the wrong talent pool for sales executives and blames the numbers on this. Ahh.. don't they realize they were the one that hired these people in the first place? Legal and finance killed deals for me which is unexpectable.

Advice to Management

Its time for some people to go. There still is time to repair the culture that once was.

"Manager, Customer Success"

Former Employee - Manager, Customer Success in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager, Customer Success in San Francisco, CA

I worked at New Relic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really enjoyed my journey at New Relic. Great balance of work and life, supported family life. Good future career prospects. Highly recommended as you're well looked after.

- Smart leadership
    - Motivated & fun co-workers
    - Fast paced environment
    - Growing company, increasing deal sizes every quarter
    - Enterprise focused with large global logos and roll outs
    - Great company values
    - Excellent leadership training paths
    - Awesome office spaces

Cons

- Could be better at helping stitch together the various functions (Product, Marketing, Sales, Operations, Eng etc).

Advice to Management

- Communicate more and often. The little things count and help with the grind.
    - Reminder to provide the "context" (where we've come from, where we're going and why) when talking about vision/journey.

"Love New Relic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at New Relic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New Relic is the BEST company I have worked for!! Everybody loves Lew (CEO). He is passionate, brilliant, authentic and cares deeply about employees. In fact, you may catch him singing, tearing up when speaking about employees or riding around the office on a scooter.

I have worked at many tech companies and have seen dysfunctional leadership and challenging ups and downs. Those situations make it hard to be excited about going to work each day. That is not the case here, I am energized to come to work and help build an amazing company. The people are collaborative and have each other’s backs.

Before I joined New Relic, I was looking for an opportunity with a growing/successful tech company with a strong market for the products, interesting work/role, and a management team that cares about employees. I accepted the role because I thought this opportunity fit this criteria. However, you never know till you join. I am happy to say that I absolutely made the right decision!.

As you may expect, Lew hired a team that fits well his vision for the company. Smart, engaged, significant tech experience (e.g. they have done this before), and they also care deeply about the people, culture and values (in both words and actions). Yes, the company is growing quickly and has some growing pains, but it is nimble and listens to employees. Where there are issues, we see course correction.

Some specific glassdoor comments have questioned Sales leadership, Product leadership and People Operations leadership. The leadership on these teams has been outstanding. In a short time the company has grown considerably, completed a successful IPO and added numerous successful (awesome) products. I believe these leaders are well respected throughout the org for their achievements and their clear passion about employees and success. In addition, I have worked with many of the all other levels of management in all of these groups and the vast majority have been excellent to work with!

Cons

Fast growth always comes with some growing pains. Leadership will need to continue to be diligent and listen to employee feedback and adjust as needed. They have done a good job so far, but I hope this will continue to be a priority.

"Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

People are welcoming and friendly. I was always excited to come to work and never felt stressed out. Everyone is willing to help and the employees are all connected.

Cons

Can be slow at times.