Northern Tool + Equipment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 10, 2017

2.1

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Northern Tool + Equipment (Midland, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

Professional. Interviewers were on time and organized. Two rounds of interviews. One with the program manager and one with department directors. Directors seemed to have differing scope objectives for the project manager role they were trying to fill.

Merchandise Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnsville, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northern Tool + Equipment (Burnsville, MN).

Interview

Brief phone interview, which was followed up with an in-person interview with two managers at their corporate location. All of the people I met at their corporate office were extremely nice. The in-person interview was easy - they mostly asked behavioral type questions, but the interview was not extensive enough (and I realized why afterwards). I was informed soon after that they hired an internal candidate, so I felt that they knew who they were hiring before my interview - very disappointing.

Human Resources Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Mill, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Northern Tool + Equipment (Fort Mill, SC) in August 2016.

Interview

Three step process, interview first with recruiter, then department head, both over the phone...then on-site interview with the department head along with (2) Additional HR Partners. Very thorough, but not intense, Most of the job related questions came from department head, while the personality questions came from the HR Partners. I took a tour of the facility and met a few other employees. I felt that everyone I came into contact with that day was friendly and welcoming. It also appeared to be a very organized and clean facility. Ultimately, it came down between myself and another candidate and I was not chosen for the position, I was given feedback which I really appreciated, this made me feel less inadequate about not being chosen. Overall I thought it was a good interview experience.

Interview Questions

• "Tell us about a difficult situation you had to deal with directly, and what were the steps you took to solve the issue?"   Answer Question

Associate Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnsville, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northern Tool + Equipment (Burnsville, MN).

Interview

Initial phone interview, then an interview with three managers in person (separately, but consecutively). The phone interview was 45 minutes, and the in-person interviews took up about 2 hours. The HR manager said I would hear about the decision at the beginning of the next week. I received no further response regarding the position, even after attempting to contact the HR manager about it personally.

Interview Questions

• Consisted of some behavioral questions and also about my work history.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northern Tool + Equipment (Lafayette, LA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly easy. It was a panel interview. The wait to be interviewed took about an hour. While in with the Current Store Manager they ask a variety of Situation based questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you lead a team that was discourage.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Northern Tool + Equipment (Greensboro, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

I am customer there first and I was talking to the manager and duty and was told they are having a hard time finding good employees. I told her that I am a veteran college student and was looking for some part time work and got my interview that way. I know much more about the products through using them myself then the general sale associates. When I ask employees about some things I am not familiar with I get a blank stare or I don't know. I was told in the interview it was part of my job duty to greet customers. I thought that was kind of ironic considering every time I walk in this store the sales floor people walk around with their heads down and go out of their way to avoid me. In short I told them I am college student, and it was pretty obvious I had tattoos from every time I was in there shopping so I would appreciate not wasting my time in an interview when I told you these things up front in the first place but is ok ill still shop there and watch the zombie employees roam the aisle for a laugh

Interview Questions

• Are willing to wear a long sleeve shirt to cover tattoos?   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pequot Lakes, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northern Tool + Equipment (Pequot Lakes, MN) in August 2014.

Interview

1 Phone interview then another in-person interview. I drove to the office and was greeted very nicely. I met with the person who would be my supervisor and then a Sales Lead.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you've done at your previous position where you went above and beyond the stand proceedure?   Answer Question

Interview

All the usual questions. Why there? Strengths, weaknesses, where you see yourself in 5-10 years within the company or not. A story of leadership or overcoming unruly customers and associates. Problem you have to fix. etc. depending on the person interviewing you, it can be very casual. Still, dress like you're an adult that wants a job, and prepare the same.

Interview Questions

• I didn't experience any odd-ball questions, they are pretty personable and straight forward. No psychological thrillers here.   Answer Question

Negotiation

easy, just stick to you're guns on what you KNOW you are worth, and don't get suckered into accepting less. They need to start stepping up their offers to retain real talent or their stores sales and customer base are going to suffer from dissatisfied, disenchanted associates. Heed that warning corporate. See it already happening, and your customers are telling us that. Treat your employees better and get actually motivated management.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northern Tool + Equipment (Charlotte, NC) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied online, I received a call from the store manager several days letter and I set up an interview. I went for my interviewing the following day, and spoke with the manager. It was very laid back. The next day I was called back for a "second interview", which I scheduled for later that same day. I went in, spoke with the same store manager, and was hired on. I filled out some paperwork, and then was sent for a drug test. I took the drug test, and there was a background check, and once I passed everything, I was called in for me first day.

Interview Questions

• What is your availability? Do you have any experience? Are you comfortable with people and answering the phones?   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northern Tool + Equipment.

Interview

Hiring Process was quick, interviewed twice in a week. A lot of distractions during both interviews. Not really prepared for interviews.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected question was "Do you plan to get rich here?" If so this is not the place.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating. Never given an opportunity to do so.