Nutanix Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nutanix (Richmond, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

Had a great interview with hiring manager as well as multiple interviews and conversations with upper management and peers. Met with engineering partners as well as channel partners and discussed the value proposition of Nutanix. I felt like it was a bi-directional interview process.

Interview Questions

• They explained the different culture and different expectations coming to Nutanix and would that appeal to me.   Answer Question

Corporate Social Responsibility Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nutanix (San Jose, CA).

Interview

There was an initial interview to see if I was qualified to be interviewed, an interview with my potential manager, two interviews with my manager's previous interns to see if I would be a good fit with her style, an interview with a potential co-worker, and a final interview with my potential manager. Overall lengthy, but invaluable experience and I enjoyed speaking to everyone at Nutanix!

QA Interview

Interview

was contacted via recruiter. Manger interviewed who was quite satisfied then was asked to come inhouse.
    Inhouse interview was fake and looks like they already decided whom they wanna hire as after interview some gave wrong output about my interview to hiring manager.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Nutanix (San Jose, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

The process was very well handeled and the recruiters were very professional. A recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn, and we set up a phone call to connect and discuss my interests and career goals, and what Nutanix has to offer. Following that I had three phone screens with three different teams (this was slightly surprising as most companies have only two). Following them, I had a on-site in the HQ. As I had mentioned I had a pending offer deadline, the team got back to me within two days, which was incredible. They beat all the other offers that I had and gave a competing offer which was very fair.

Pros:
    - very professional recruiting staff
    - excellent interviewers who are testing your knowledge and thinking abilities rather than asking "gotcha" questions
    - quick turn-around time for the decision

Cons:
    - one of the interviewer's didn't call/show up for the phone screen and didn't even care to let me know that he's late. I think this was unprofessional, but given that there was a lot of hiring going on, this is understandable

Interview Questions

• How do you uniformly sample processes with probability proportional to their weights?   Answer Question

Systems Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nutanix (San Jose, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

Initially, HR contacted me through the LinkedIn. There was a telephonic round with the HR. Then she scheduled my telephonic interview with the manager. It was a 30 min interview. He asked me basic questions about networking and resume. After 3 days, I got an email from HR stating I am being called for an onsite interview. There were 2 SRE and 1 Hiring manager. They asked me about Networking, Linux and the Little bit of coding. I was unable to answer the coding questions. Hiring manager asked me behavioral questions.

OEM Order Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Nutanix.

Interview

it was a interview where I met each person of the team for an half hour individually. Greulling for sure but great to getting to know the entire team that I would be joining if hired (I was). I enjoyed all my interviews because I was able to ask questions and many questions were asked of me. The interview flow was very natural. They were honest about the training, hours and workflow, which after one week has been spot on. They didn't just ask technical questions but also personal ones (nothing out of line) but just to get to know me and see if I was the right fit for the team.

Interview Questions

• what positive qualities could you bring to this role during month or quarter end?   Answer Question

Member Technical Staff Interview

Interview

Pathetic. The interviewer did not even know the basic data structures. He asked me to tell me the complexity of lookup in a HashTable. I told him is O(1) but the worst case can be O(n). I explained him the reason on why it can be O(n), due to collision and subsequent chaining. He asked me, in that case how do they guarantee O(1) lookup time. I told him what they mean by guarantee is the Average lookup time and no one can guarantee O(1) all the time. He kept repeating the same point. I am surprised how they send guys not good in basics for interviewing. Same with the subsequent question. Anyhow I am happy I am NOT going further in the interview process in this company

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Nutanix (San Jose, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

The process took around 5 weeks. I applied on Nutanix career website on 6th Feb 2018. Got call from HR 20 days later. She wanted to know more about the profile. By then I already had a job offer from a well known MNC. So, I asked her to expedite the process. Next day she scheduled a phone screen.

First Phone screen: Two leetcode medium level questions. I had to code and test on glyder. I was able to finish it under 45 mins.
    Next day later I got call for second phone screen.

Second Phone screen: There were multiple questions related to OS (Multi threading, Synchronization,...). I had to code for 2 or 3 questions. For few questions, I was asked to explain algorithm (Didn't ask the code). It was finished under 30 mins.
    Next day I got call for onsite interview. There were 4 onsite rounds.

Onsite
    Each round has 45 mins duration with no breaks. (I could've asked)
    First three rounds had same structure.
    Two algorithms and one design question in each round.
    Algorithm questions are doable if you had done handful of leetcode questions. I had to write code and test it with various test cases. Make sure you cover all the corner cases.
    For design questions, I had to ask lot of questions. The interviewers were helping me when I went off the track. We discussed about trade-offs in designs. There was no coding for these questions.
    Out of 3 design questions, 2 were system (distributed which require scalability and/or fault tolerance and/or availability etc.) design and other one was class design. They weren't expecting perfect designs though.
    Once the next interviewer came, current interviewer left. That was the case with all three rounds.
    Fourth round was with director/hiring manager. We discussed about my background. He had only one design question. I had to write code for that. He asked me lot of questions for my design choices. He suggested few changes which made the code look clean.
    Luckily, hiring manager had worked in the company I already had the offer. So, I asked him to compare both the profiles. He gave some insights which were pretty useful in making the decision. At the end of the interview, he escorted me out.

There weren't any questions like
    "Why Nutanix? Why do you think this role is best fit for you? Any leadership qualities? Time when you had conflict with your teammate? ..."

As I requested them, HRs made the process quick. The interviews are done in 2 weeks.

I finished onsite rounds on Thursday and got feedback from HR on Monday.

I wasn't expecting design questions. However, keeping calm, on the feet thinking and hints from interviewers are keys to solve them. I had checked in glassdoor interviews. I didn't find any interviews like this. That's why I thought it is worth sharing this.

Interview Questions

• I signed NDA. So, I can't tell you the specific questions.   1 Answer

UI Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nutanix.

Interview

Tragic interview consisting of questions that tested your ability to memorize documentation and small and basically meaningless language nuances.

They are not looking for intelligence, creativity or actual skill. The questions they asked were minor details that few if any actually know. Many of the questions were trick questions.

Example: What does Array.push return without looking at the documentation. It returns the length of the new array. Whereas in other languages it may return the new array. The point is it doesnt matter, a quick documentation check would give you the result.

Memorizing methods does not make a good programmer. I would steer clear of this company.

They based my employment on these trick questions. I was able to answer all of the questions that showed critical thinking, creativity as well as building out a working solution for the coding challenge they requested. However, my application was denied simply because I could not answer random questions from the documentation or tiny inconsequential questions.

I have been a UI engineer for years now.

Interview Questions

• Q: Random nuances and API memorization. Indian recruiters and interviewers so they have that memorization mentality which proves nothing.   Answer Question

Systems Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nutanix (Durham, NC).

Interview

The interview process was awesome the whole time! Everyone was so helpful and made me feel like I was part of the team before I even got the offer. I am thrilled to finally start since I accepted the offer!

MTS1 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nutanix (San Jose, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Worst experience ever!! Lost respect for that company..

I was screened for their MTS New Grad role. Firstly, the HR told me I was interviewing for the Infrastructure team. The first round was with a decent engineer. Second round was with another decent engineer. For both the interviews, I had to remind the HR again and again for updates. They took 1.5 weeks to reply with the result of the first phone screen. As a result, the whole interview process got delayed.

Finally, after clearing the first two rounds, I was called for an onsite. The HR took me to a room and handed me the schedule for the day.

The first interview was with an Indian engineer, quite arrogant. He saw I was a girl and probably wanted to show off how much he knows. He seemed not at all prepared for the interview. He looked at my resume and said "You seem more like a Python, Ruby, Java" person, while completely ignoring the work experience part where I had worked on C in the past as well. Then, he completely ignored my work experience and started asking me questions about Computer Architecture (which I felt was irrelevant for the role I was applying for). Next, he asked me another question on threads which I gave a solution to but he said that "Your solution will work, but I wanted an answer in condition variables". I was already frustrated by the end of the interview by his obnoxious behavior.

Next guy was his twin brother. So, I mentally prepared myself for a similar treatment. This person, less of a show off than his brother, came and started asking me about an ongoing class project. I told him that some parts have not been covered but I can explain whatever we had worked on so far. We discussed in length about a design question based on it.

The next interview was supposed to be a lunch interview with the director. He came and with a blunt face, said "Hey, nice to meet you. SOrry, I won't be available to take your interview. We have an urgent customer issue". I was assuming that only the lunch interview was cancelled but turns out, the entire interview was cancelled. I had no more interviews for the day. They cancelled everything in the middle of the interview itself!!!

The HR came after 20 mins, while I was sitting clueless about what happened. She said, there is a flu running around, no engineers are around to take an interview, urgent customer issue so all the engineers are working on it. All of this didn't make sense. I could see a floor full of at least 30 engineers in front of me and no one had the etiquette to conduct an interview for 45 minutes? Secondly, Nutanix claims to hire from the top schools and top talent, and you make such faulty products that you have such severe urgent customer issues that the entire team need to leave everything behind and deal with the customer issue?

Every person I met on my onsite interview seemed unpleasant. Those twin brothers, the director, the HR(she was extremely clueless and seemed very unprofessional at her work). I liked the receptionist though. She seemed sweet.

To sum it up, I totally lost respect for this company! I hope I never have to deal with such people in a workplace ever! I would suggest them to learn some interpersonal skills as well apart from Computer Science knowledge.

The HR called me two days later saying that they are moving ahead with another candidate even without finishing my on-site interview process.