Nutanix Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nutanix (Richmond, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

Had a great interview with hiring manager as well as multiple interviews and conversations with upper management and peers. Met with engineering partners as well as channel partners and discussed the value proposition of Nutanix. I felt like it was a bi-directional interview process.

Interview Questions

• They explained the different culture and different expectations coming to Nutanix and would that appeal to me.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nutanix.

Interview

Initially contacted by the recruiter in December. During the phone call, I was asked to tell something about myself and how do I relate myself to the position. Answered. Was informed next day of a technical phone screen by the Team Lead after 5-6 days.

During that call, I was asked about basic questions related to the 4 wheels of Nutanix viz. Linux, Virtualization, Storage and Networking. Some scenario based questions were also asked.

Finally was called for onsite interview in the Durham office(which BTW is quite awesome). Basically had 2 rounds: one with two engineers consisting of questions related to the same 4 topics as in the phone screen and one with the Worldwide Manager(who is also the Mastermind of the Program) consisting of behavioral questions.

Overall a very convenient process with everyone being careful about your availability for the interview (conveniently changed the time of an important call just because I was stuck in a storm !!!)

Interview Questions

• Basic Linux Commands, Network Layers, Storage Basics and Virtualization concepts(especially related to ESXi)   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nutanix.

Interview

Disappointing phone interview but decided to go on site hoping it would be better. It wasn't. All canned questions. No engagement in a conversation, felt like a series of inquisitions. Always "we will have time at the end for your questions" and all interviewers did a terrible job of managing time so never had time to ask questions

Was asked for my salary history & interviewer bristled when I refused to provide anything other than my target range. Made me a low ball offer 15% below my target. Didn't bother to negotiate

Company has serious ego problems and really needs to train their people on how to conduct a proper interview that is a two-way conversation. Would not go work there

Senior Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Nutanix.

Interview

This was one of the “funniest” experiences. I spoke with two recruiters and I was scheduled an interview with the hiring manager next day. Exactly 1 min before the interview meeting I received a system generated email stating that they have moved on with other candidates. It clearly shows no respect for other people’s time....

Interview Questions

• Recruiter scheduled the interview and just before the meeting the system canceled the application.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nutanix.

Interview

Interview process was pretty straightforward. There were a few phone interviews followed by an on-site round. It took around 3-4 weeks; it was pretty quick. Everyone seemed to be very passionate about what they are doing.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioral questions and my approach to product management.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nutanix.

Interview

The interview process was very straight forward and well structure. The follow up was very quick. I was scheduled for a phone interview on Thursday and my onsite interview was a Monday. When I came for the onsite interview, the HR coordinator greeted me and made sure that the first interviewer show up before leaving. Met up with 6 people for the onsite. The next round was a phone interview with the Director of Global Sales Recruiting. Within one day, they came back with the feedback.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very straight forward regarding about my background as a technical recruiter. They asked me about technical terms and technologies. They also asked me about Nutanix and what I know about them. The interviewers were very professional, respectful, and very knowledgeable.   Answer Question

Systems Reliability Engineer () Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nutanix (Durham, NC) in December 2017.

Interview

Seemingly three stages, though it is possible there are more stages given a candidate is successful on the third stage: a phone interview with a technical sourcer, a phone interview with an existing Systems Reliability Engineer (SRE), and then an onsite interview in Durham, NC with 2 SREs and a WW Support Manager. My only complaint throughout the entire experience was how awful the actual Durham location seems to be, but maybe I missed something obvious about ease of parking and to be honest I didn't get much time to actually explore the surrounding area. On the bright side, the people seem great!

The initial phone interview with HR basically went through some basic information about the role while asking a few questions about familiarity in some aspects of the role. The second phone interview had the SRE further diving into the role, speaking about their experience at Nutanix, and mentioning a few key tasks that they hope interns to regularly partake in. The onsite interview consisted of a run-through of four pillars - networking, virtualization, storage, and Linux. My knowledge outside of networking and virtualization is pretty lackluster, with my knowledge of networking and virtualization to begin with not being anything incredible, so I think that's where I fell short during the onsite interview. I don't remember specific questions that were asked, but the gist of it seemed to be fairly fundamental TCP/IP, virtualization experience with Hyper-V and VMWare since those were the two hypervisors I had used, software-defined storage (I assume) if applicable, and Linux questions ranging anywhere from the strengths of Linux to basic Linux commands.

Despite the rejection, arguably the most solid interviewing experience I had in the past two years of interviewing on and off while holding a job! HR made things painless, the onsite interview folks seemed great, and everything seemed 100% fair! Kudos!

Interview Questions

• Q: Honestly, I don't remember specific questions, but I guess on that was brought up would be "How would you rename a file via terminal in Linux?"   1 Answer

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nutanix (San Jose, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

First there was a talk with the director, who'll be my boss. It was mostly about my experience, and the technical stuff was at a conceptual level; wide-ranging and thoroughly enjoyable.

Next there was a technical phone screen with one of his engineers. I was asked to write code via Collabedit to solve a fairly straightforward problem. I did it in Python, checked my code, caught a couple of fairly minor corner cases.

The next morning I received an email asking me to pick a time for an on-site interview. We settled on a date, and when I turned up there were 4 engineers who talked to me one after the other. I thought the interviewers were a good mix ; some probed algorithms, one experience, and the last had an extremely interesting problem. Last came the director, whom I'd already talked to, but this time the focus seemed to be on 'fit'.

Overall, very enjoyable as the people seemed sharp but not arrogant.

Interview Questions

• The last question was non-trivial, but doable if you didn't panic; I think a grounding in CS theory would make it easier to handle, as opposed to the usual algorithms/data structures grab-bag. It was the one I enjoyed the most, as it forced me to think.   Answer Question

Systems Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nutanix (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

Interview process was too much of a drag.. 4 Skype rounds including 3 technical and 1 manager. Though all the technical interviews were almost same and not much difficult . After that 3 more f2f rounds.
    The only issue I had was in manager round, they are very much egoistic and not concerned about what your opinion is, they even don't care of what you are expecting but want "Loyalty" from an employee.
    In short if u speak what they want to hear, you are in! U better be prepared with buttering 😉

Interview Questions

• VCP-DCV Complete, storage , networking, ESXi logs and ports questions, Troubleshooting of common issues like Vmotion fail, Snapshot fail,etc.   Answer Question

Senior Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Nutanix (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

A-MAZ-ING!!! The staff are true professionals who were very helpful and kept me informed through every step. Interviewers asked a lot of 'What do you think?" questions which lead to very insightful conversation.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any issues with being part of a bigger team, rather than a solo contributor?   1 Answer

Strategy and Operations Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nutanix.

Interview

The interviews were conducted very professionally. However the thumbs down is for the extremely long interview process...right from the initial phone screen by HR to the onsite interviews - at every step of the way, I had to wait for 2-3 weeks and then remind HR to give me an update/decision. Not even once through the 2 month long process did they voluntary offered any updates or feedback and yet every time I followed up, they wanted me to proceed to the next phase of the interview.