One Kings Lane Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 14, 2017

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at One Kings Lane (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

The interviewing party was friendly and very honest about their experiences within their department. The interview process itself was long and drawn out. I was asked to interview there twice and both times the process was smooth. The only issue was in scheduling the interviews, there were times when I did not get a response after being asked to set up an interview date. Which prompted me to follow up and then they responded.

Social Media Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at One Kings Lane (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Complete lack of organization. After getting denied for the position through the website portal I received an email from HR saying they wanted to set up an interview. I did the phone interview, it went great, and was asked to come in for a three hour long interview in the office with 5 different people. Funny enough, after spending three hours of my time to meet with different members of the company, they STOLE MY IDEA that I gave them in response to the question "what would you do differently on our Instagram," and never even got in touch with me regarding my status for the position. I'm going to warn you now, save your time and energy and steer clear of this company. Such a scheme.

Interview Questions

• What would you do differently on our instagram   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at One Kings Lane (New York, NY).

Interview

I heard from One King's Lane so long after I applied that I had forgotten I had done so. They asked if I was available for a phone interview. Once that was completed they rushed to get me in for an in person interview on what most companies consider a holiday. After following up with them they told me they had only just started interviewing many candidates...thanks for making me come in on a holiday if it wasn't dire to fill the position..and told me they would hopefully let me know in the next few weeks. I finally heard from them and the email was one that was worded as though I had never come in for an interview and had only sent in my resume. Companies should respect how long and hard people prepare for these interviews.

The people interviewing me for the position were two very different people. One was very nice and asked questions to get to know me, the other was very flat and acted like she had no idea what to ask me in order to determine if I would be good for the position.

Interview Questions

• Everyone I went through was big on talking about their competitors.   Answer Question

Assistant Curator, Vintage Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at One Kings Lane (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process is conducted in several stages. First there is a phone interview conducted by a recruiter to get a sense of your skill set. I found the requiter to be kind and receptive, and I felt very comfortable speaking with her throughout the interview.

Then, they invite you to the office for interviews with staff members. I had two interviews that were conducted by staff in the same department. They asked very similar questions but interviewed me separately. There was a lot of company corporate language that was tossed around in the interviews, and both interviewers seemed very concerned with staying true to the brand and the customers.

Neither interviewer seemed interested in building new clients or suggesting new merchandise for clients. They seemed to want generic or standard ideas about design inspiration, so i would suggest having clear answers about who the customer is, the types of design inspiration that would relate to the brand, and how your own personal aesthetic choices relate to the brand, or the types of designers you admire. But keep it very generic, nothing wild, exciting, or out of the box.

One of the interviewers was a joy to speak with and made me feel very comfortable. However, the second interviewer was very tense and aggressive. I found her to be unpleasant and rather rude. I was not offered the position, but I don't think I would have taken it if offered because I would not would not have wanted to work with the aggressive interviewer. She was not very professional and seemed to have anger issues. I could foresee her being very difficult to navigate in a work environment.

Interview Questions

• Describe a typical One Kings Lane customer. What is the demographic?   Answer Question
    • What types of design magazines do you read?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at One Kings Lane (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online to the company website and got an email to schedule a phone interview. Had to reschedule two times, but was very easy to do. Spoke with a woman over the phone for around 20 minutes. Do not have a background in interior design or home decor, so the interview was a little more difficult than imagined.

Interview Questions

• Who are One Kings Lanes competition?   1 Answer
    • What is something you would change or add on the website?   1 Answer

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at One Kings Lane.

Interview

Long and drawn out. Applied, got called by HR almost immediately, then they ghosted for a few weeks, only to call me back and want to schedule in person interviews quickly.

Catalog Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at One Kings Lane (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I wouldn't say this was a bad interview experience but it also wasn't good. My first email with human resources specified that it was the Catalog Specialist position but when I spoke with the hiring manager over the phone she didn't know what position she was interviewing me for because I had applied to many others with the company. I said the email said it was for the Catalog Specialist but she still interviewed me for the Assistant Buyer role and mentioned that she thought that was better than the specialist position and when I would go in for an in-person interview it could be for either the specialist or buyer role but I would not know until I got there. I arrived and met with an employee and found out it was for the specialist role which was a little disappointing because the woman I spoke with on the phone basically said that the buyer position was better.

Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at One Kings Lane in August 2016.

Interview

Very similar experience to a lot of the other reviewers here. I was really hoping it wasn't true, but it was an extremely unprofessional interview process, which has turned me off to ever working with this company. They were very quick to set up initial phone interview, but after that it was multiple emails back and fourth of trying to reschedule. The day of initial phone interview, I was emailed 5 minutes AFTER our call time to reschedule to a different date. I really wanted to focus on the positive and let it slide, so okay I set aside more time and rescheduled. Was then emailed after the phone interview to come in and meet in person with the hiring manager - after more back and fourth emails, was told they would get back to me shortly for a new interview date. Never heard back - followed up a few times to update them on my availability and inquiring if they still wanted to proceed, no answer. Finally got an automated message a few days later sent to me saying that they decided to go with someone else. How classy. As another reviewer put it, an interview is run like the company...waste of time.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

Interview

The phone interview with HR went well, but she said I was better suited for a different position that wasn't listed online yet which was a producer role. I then received an email to schedule an in person interview for the producer role. I went in and the interview went great. Later that same day I received an email about coming back in again to speak to more people from that department. This is when it got bad, so a few days later I went back in to speak with a few more people. Right when I got there I waited in the lobby with another girl that was there for the same interview. The lady at the front desk then told us to follow her into different meeting rooms. I was placed in a huge conference room, while the other girl was sent into a small meeting room. I waited in the room until a new lady I had never met before came in, she was a different person from HR. She came into the room calling me by the wrong name. I corrected her and then she seemed confused as to why I was in this room. I started to feel uncomfortable. She immediately left and never came back again, even though she said she would be right back. We scheduled a phone interview for 11am and then at 10:30am she emails asking if we can push it back. When we finally do speak one of the first things she says to me is how do you feel about this position being temporary? BIG SURPRISE. I told her that was not brought to my attention. She then says Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you knew. I told her, I'm still interested but how does a temporary position work at OKL? Do I get benefits, time frame, etc.. She had no answers or clue how temp positions work. She said she would get back to me with all that information. She never did get back to me. Then a week later she called to tell me they went with another person. But before she told me that news, she said she was sorry because she accidentally called one of my references (former boss) thinking it was my number, and left her a voicemail meant to go to me about not receiving the position. COULDN'T BE ANY MORE UNPROFESSIONAL

Catalog Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at One Kings Lane (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

It was over the phone for a freelance position. Since, this was a freelance position no in-person interview was necessary. I spoke to the manager and her asked a series of question about my experience in the fashion industry.