One Kings Lane Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at One Kings Lane

2.8

Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at One Kings Lane (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview process started out on a positive note, I had an easy-going phone screen with an HR representative in which I felt good about. About a month later (due to an already planned move to NYC), I had my first in-office interview. The original interview was cancelled the day before and rescheduled for a couple of days later due to some weather complications in NYC at the beginning of January. When the first interview happened, I felt like it was overall a good experience. I met with two planning managers who spoke about their respective teams and asked what kind of opportunities I was interested in for my next career. I had one case-study, specific to the role I applied for. I was then asked back for a second-round, the following week. During this interview I met with three people, two planning team members and a buyer (whom the planners work closely with). These interviews were focused a great deal on "why One Kings Lane?" and also questions on prioritization and specifics to the planning role (including another case-study). I also got a tour around the office. They give the generic "you'll hear back in one week" but after more than two weeks someone reached out indicating that they'd like me to come into the office for one more round of interviews. This interview was with two even higher-up individuals on the planning side. These were more targeted about what work I did in the past would be applicable to the role at One Kings Lane and where I wanted my career to go. As I left I was told that I would hear from someone by the end of the day or in the very most, by the end of the week. Unfortunately, I did not hear anything for a few weeks. At this time I reached out to the person who helped schedule my interviews. After a week of no response, I reached out to another HR representative who I spoke with first. I never received any response from this individual either and after almost 6 or 8 weeks of not hearing anything from anyone, I decided to check Jobvite on a whim, in which my status was changed from "In Process" to "Not Selected." By the end of the process, I got the vibe I was not a fit for the role, but after being brought in to the office on three separate occasions it would have been nice to have received any sort of email indicating that information.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at One Kings Lane (San Francisco, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Contacted the recruiter and she was professional in evaluating my experience and the kind of job I am looking for. She set up an initial phone interview.The phone interview consisted questions about my previous projects and experience and some DS questions. Finally the interviewer gave me a coding project to be completed. The question was based on the dynamic programming and I had sent him the code in a few hours. (took me longer than I expected). He was happy with my solution and I was called for on-site interview to meet with the team.

I had to wait for about 20 minutes before some one could help me at the reception desk. I was then give a short tour of the company (which is indeed fantastic) before dropping me at the interview room. I met with 3 employees (scheduled with 4, but the 4th person could not make it for the interview) . I was tested on broad topics and each, really in depth.

Q1) Design a minesweeper game (data structures used, algorithms for generating the mines, and generating the block number for the remaining squares)
    Q2) what design patterns can you use for constructing a vehicle garage site.
    Q3) I have a counter variable in DB whose value is incremented each time the webpage is hit. How will you scale the architechture when you have millions of hits?
    Q4) given all the integers in a character array, write a function the that returns the start index of a given integer
    q5) how willl you construct a file system
    q6) find all the unique strings in a trillion set of strings.

Interview Questions

• I have a counter variable in DB whose value is incremented each time the webpage is hit. How will you scale the architechture when you have millions of hits?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at One Kings Lane (San Francisco, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by HR of this company through Linkedin. She had initial call with me for around 20min where she explained the position etc and asked me few technical questions (yes HR asked me tech questions). And the question were pretty simple, bitwise and logical OR, object model for vehicle which can be a car or a bike.

After the first call I was setup for another phone interview with the hiring manager. This call was for an hour and I was asked algorithmic questions. One of the questions was about a file with strings in it which are sorted and to create a data structure to search the word when 4 letters of the word is typed. The interviewer was pretty easy going and was not looking for exact solution. Instead he was more interested in the approach.

And then I was setup to talk to another engineering member on the phone for 45min. This one went well too. He asked just 1 question. And the problem was to find the first repeating letter in a string. i.e "abcdaer" is a given string so tell the position of first repeating letter that is 'a'. This interview went well too.

But I did not hear back from them. So, I sent an email to the HR to know the result. She replied to the email and thanked for reminding her :-). Well, this whole process till now took 1 week. And then I was called for in-person interview the following week.

I went to their office and HR received me at front desk. She took me to a conference room and little bit later informed me that the first interview is with an engineer instead of hiring manager as per the schedule. The first engineer walks into the room, introduces himself and without any further talk gives me a laptop and asks me to implement priority queue using the language of my choice. It was little odd as usually people start by talking about experience etc. But anyway, I tried implementing it but running it was a bit of a challenge as collabedit does not support it.

After an hour next engineer came who asked me 10 different questions. Minessweeper, inner join, outer join, code to return true if in a string parentheses are closed (or valid) i.e "()()" is valid and return false if parentheses are not closed i.e. "((()" is invalid. It was almost an hour interview but then the hiring manager asked the interviewer to come out (he did not walk into the room, made some gestures for the engineer to come out through the glass wall). then HR came in the room to tell me that the team thought I was not a good fit. I found the in-person interview process pretty unfriendly and sorta rude.

Interview Questions

• Data structure for minesweeper and place mine randomly and uniformly.   Answer Question

One Kings Lane Response

Oct 11, 2013 – HR Respresentative

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We value the time that candidates take to come in and meet the team and wish to provide the best candidate experience. We will are making changes to our... More

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at One Kings Lane (San Francisco, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

First interview was over the phone with HR. The representative went over a brief overview of the job description, following with questions about my previous job experience and background. Shortly after the interview I was sent an example of a customer inquiry I was instructed to carefully review and answer the question acting as an OKL representative. A few days later I was contacted to schedule an onsite interview with 4 separate managers that lasted aprox 2hours.

Interview Questions

• The sample customer inquiry email response after my initial interview on the phone.   Answer Question

Analytics Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at One Kings Lane (New York, NY).

Interview

30-minute interview with HR over the phone, 1 hour interview with HR in person, 1 hour interview with the hiring manager.

Terrible experience overall. I had to come onsite twice and never even heard back from the recruiter.

Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at One Kings Lane in June 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, lady was very nice and seemed interested. Talked for over fifty minutes, gave a lot of false hope. Said they would skype me the following day- even set up a time-and never skyped me nor did they return any of my calls or emails. Very unprofessional.

Intern Interview

Interview

Pretty standard. Interviewing with recruiter, a few technical phone screens and final round. Regular data structures, algorithms and product. Process is pretty quick and you hear back quickly after each round. Know the product well and have an opinion on how and why certain things are the way they are on the website and how you could possibly improve it.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at One Kings Lane (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

HR was very disorganized and misinformed

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Things were offered a second time as if they were compromising new offers and verbal offers did not match written ones.

Merchandise Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at One Kings Lane (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

The interviewing party was friendly and very honest about their experiences within their department. The interview process itself was long and drawn out. I was asked to interview there twice and both times the process was smooth. The only issue was in scheduling the interviews, there were times when I did not get a response after being asked to set up an interview date. Which prompted me to follow up and then they responded.

Merchandise Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at One Kings Lane (New York, NY).

Interview

I heard from One King's Lane so long after I applied that I had forgotten I had done so. They asked if I was available for a phone interview. Once that was completed they rushed to get me in for an in person interview on what most companies consider a holiday. After following up with them they told me they had only just started interviewing many candidates...thanks for making me come in on a holiday if it wasn't dire to fill the position..and told me they would hopefully let me know in the next few weeks. I finally heard from them and the email was one that was worded as though I had never come in for an interview and had only sent in my resume. Companies should respect how long and hard people prepare for these interviews.

The people interviewing me for the position were two very different people. One was very nice and asked questions to get to know me, the other was very flat and acted like she had no idea what to ask me in order to determine if I would be good for the position.

Interview Questions

• Everyone I went through was big on talking about their competitors.   Answer Question