Oppenheimer Holdings Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 3, 2017

2.5

Capital Markets Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I filled out a physical application form (a bit old-school) and emailed it to the campus recruiter that visited my school. Heard back a little over a month later and was interviewed over the phone. A day later, I was invited for a 3-round superday for the following week. I was given my offer (accepted) the day after my superday. Overall, Opco was very courteous with my recruiting timeline, and responded to any emails/calls quickly. The pay is well below Wall Street standards, however, everyone I met was extremely helpful and polite and that's why I accepted their offer. The interview is pretty straight forward with not a lot of technical unless you mention it or have listed on your resume. Just know the company, news with the markets, and your resume.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings.

Interview

Got grilled ranging from current news, market sizing, market research, brain teasers, accounting, finance, and wealth management principles. Way too much for a barely paid internship position in my opinion but they weren't mean if you got something wrong. It was definitely an intimidating environment though. I had prepared a lot but wealth management interviews are usually only half technical, if that.

Interview Questions

• What is the efficient market hypothesis?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings.

Interview

I had a phone interview scheduled for which the hiring manager simply did not call. This was after I had already rescheduled the call at the hiring manager's request. The phone interview was to have been for a communications role - being "left hanging" without any communication whatsoever seems oddly telling about the competence of the communications department at this firm.

I would never place a negative Glassdoor comment for a company that just decided not to hire me, but the fact that they simply "no-showed" for the phone interview and then sent a very wan email apology only after I wrote to double-check that I had noted the interview schedule change correctly indicates a troubling lack of organization and a lazy disregard for the interview process.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part of the interview was not having the interview - i.e., being blown off by the hiring manager. I think that these kinds of early interactions with an employer can be very telling about the health of the organization.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings.

Interview

Pretty straightforward process. I knew a few people at the MetLife office which made landing the first interviews easier. Mostly based on fit -- behavioral basics should be known by anyone applying. Know everything on your resume. A couple questions regarding the area you're applying for.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel your skill set will positively affect what OpCo is trying to accomplish?   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings (New York, NY).

Interview

Got an email asking to schedule for an in person interview. First interview they ask you basic questions. Nothing too technical. Afterwards I got an email to schedule for a second interview. This one was meeting with the team and they ask more technical questions.

Interview Questions

• First Interview: Tell me about yourself
      what are your strengths
      Second Interview: Java questions
      polymorphism
      Abstract/interface
      SQL optimization question
      Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

After submitting the online application, some analysts reached out for an initial interview. There were then two additional rounds of interviews all via phone. Phone calls usually lasted 20 mins. They seemed to care much more about the fit and personality of applicants than any other quality.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, why did you choose your school, conversation about the market, etc   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings.

Interview

Two interviews (One with HR and another with a member of management within desired division) that are behavioral based and then placed in division. The process took a couple months due to slow HR response but relatively easy interviews in general. I was placed in the equity research division and did not have much of a choice on the matter.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings.

Interview

1 phone interview, 1 on-site interview
    typical behavioral questions: tell me about yourself, walk me through your resume.
    asked a few questions about my class work and interest in finance, knowledge of programming languages such as MATLAB and VBA.
    No brain teasers.

Interview Questions

• tell me about yourself
      what do you know about optimization
      Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings.

Interview

In-person 30 min interview with alum, typical questions were asked. Super was similar to all banking superdays - met with 6/7 bankers, jr bankers were more technical, sr. bankers were more big picture.

Interview Questions

• Everything in the vault guide   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Called up by project manager for interview by phone.
    Interview was about 45 minutes.
    Then came in person for 1:1 interview, this one was mostly technical questions and some required writing out sql or pseudo code longhand.

Interview Questions

• One technical question was to create an SQL query from a business requirement using an example table of data (answer needed self-join or derived table)   Answer Question