Oppenheimer Holdings Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Oppenheimer Holdings Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2017

2.5

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings.

Interview

Phone screen with analyst and associate followed by an excel and writing test. Then met in headquarters with 5 associates and the director of research as a final round. Overall the process moved quickly.

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Had to submit a pdf application indicating which departments I was interested in and what past work experience I had. Then I had a decently long phone interview with my would-be manager, he asked me to tell him about myself and my projects and work experience and resume.

Interview Questions

• What was your hardest programming project, whether in school or at work? What was hard about it? How did you overcome those difficulties?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Submitted online application with resume, cover letter, and their own set of questions. I was contacted in March by HR to come in for an interview with the department head. Got an offer after the interview, and accepted.

Interview Questions

• tell me about yourself, work experience, what do you do for fun, etc.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings in March 2017.

Interview

I went into the office in New York City to meet with an employee that I knew and met several other employees. Had a couple phone interviews asking basic behavioral based questions. Did not have a formal interview in person. Received an offer around 15 minutes after my last phone interview and accepted it.

Capital Markets Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I filled out a physical application form (a bit old-school) and emailed it to the campus recruiter that visited my school. Heard back a little over a month later and was interviewed over the phone. A day later, I was invited for a 3-round superday for the following week. I was given my offer (accepted) the day after my superday. Overall, Opco was very courteous with my recruiting timeline, and responded to any emails/calls quickly. The pay is well below Wall Street standards, however, everyone I met was extremely helpful and polite and that's why I accepted their offer. The interview is pretty straight forward with not a lot of technical unless you mention it or have listed on your resume. Just know the company, news with the markets, and your resume.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings.

Interview

Got grilled ranging from current news, market sizing, market research, brain teasers, accounting, finance, and wealth management principles. Way too much for a barely paid internship position in my opinion but they weren't mean if you got something wrong. It was definitely an intimidating environment though. I had prepared a lot but wealth management interviews are usually only half technical, if that.

Interview Questions

• What is the efficient market hypothesis?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings.

Interview

I had a phone interview scheduled for which the hiring manager simply did not call. This was after I had already rescheduled the call at the hiring manager's request. The phone interview was to have been for a communications role - being "left hanging" without any communication whatsoever seems oddly telling about the competence of the communications department at this firm.

I would never place a negative Glassdoor comment for a company that just decided not to hire me, but the fact that they simply "no-showed" for the phone interview and then sent a very wan email apology only after I wrote to double-check that I had noted the interview schedule change correctly indicates a troubling lack of organization and a lazy disregard for the interview process.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part of the interview was not having the interview - i.e., being blown off by the hiring manager. I think that these kinds of early interactions with an employer can be very telling about the health of the organization.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings.

Interview

Pretty straightforward process. I knew a few people at the MetLife office which made landing the first interviews easier. Mostly based on fit -- behavioral basics should be known by anyone applying. Know everything on your resume. A couple questions regarding the area you're applying for.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel your skill set will positively affect what OpCo is trying to accomplish?   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings (New York, NY).

Interview

Got an email asking to schedule for an in person interview. First interview they ask you basic questions. Nothing too technical. Afterwards I got an email to schedule for a second interview. This one was meeting with the team and they ask more technical questions.

Interview Questions

• First Interview: Tell me about yourself
      what are your strengths
      Second Interview: Java questions
      polymorphism
      Abstract/interface
      SQL optimization question   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Very long interview. About 5 hours total in a rotational process. However, it was a very pleasant experience. Interviewers tried to make sure I was comfortable and doing well between sessions.

Interview Questions

• I was asked many questions regarding previous experiences - which was already expected, but I had to repeat myself a lot.   1 Answer