PagerDuty Interview Questions | Glassdoor

PagerDuty Interview Questions

Interviews at PagerDuty

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at PagerDuty (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

2 Phone Screens and 9 am to 5pm onsite. Every round is a knockout round.

First phone screen is half manager's talk about the company and team and half coding exercise on an online code editor and compiler. Second screen again bunch of distributed system related questions and coding again on interviewer's choice of shared editor. This would seem like a question answer session. I think no of wrong answers would decide the result.

Onsite is initially very relaxing and picks up some speed in afternoon. Be careful to not make minor mistakes because those matter a lot. Non-coding interviews are more of a discussion but do require white-boarding but again beware of wrong answers in between the discussion. Even just one or two could cause rejection.

Coding interviews are not that hard in terms of difficulty (I found one of those difficult and had some hard time) but again try not to be in pressure and make minor mistakes. Code is compiled and run on a given dataset.

Interview Questions

• Won't be specific but related to data structures like linked list, tree and sub strings of a string.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PagerDuty (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Pretty much the same as explained in the early posts. Two phone interviews one was 1 hour with 2 people and after that 2nd phone with one person for 1.5 hours with a coding and a design question.
    Then onsite day full of interviews very exhaustive and mainly revolving around scalability.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at PagerDuty in April 2015.

Interview

After a team lead reached out to me, I had a 30-minute discussion with a recruiter about location and salary range. Following this, a call in which the team lead described in more detail the different teams in their engineering department and the ways they work together, and in which I was given a single algorithm problem. It is a pretty standard one, that I was mostly able to recreate from memory.

Unfortunately, I made a small but computationally-costly mistake, which would be easily noticed and rectified in the real world, but less so in a stressful 30-minute interview. Because the rest of the interview had gone so swimmingly, I'm left feeling like they prioritize textbook-problem memorization over anything else I have learned or done in years of work experience. Despite my disagreement on how best to interview programmers, everyone I dealt with was a joy to speak to: intelligent and passionate about the work. I sincerely hope we cross paths in this or another venture someday.

Interview Questions

• I'd prefer not to say. You would certainly recognize it from sophomore-year algorithms class, if not from an interview-prep book.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at PagerDuty (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Had a great experience interviewing at PagerDuty. 1 hour phone screen, followed by ~5 hour on-site with 4 team members. Really nice team, relevant coding challenges, and plenty of time to talk with hiring manager about the company and culture.

As someone else mentioned, you need to be on your 'A' game, missing one of the challenges seems to be grounds for a rejection.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at PagerDuty (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

My interview experience at PagerDuty was excellent. I was first contacted by a recruiting manager, who set up an initial phone interview with an engineering manager. That interview was a typical get-to-know-you phone chat, followed by a screen-shared coding challenge. The challenge was moderate in difficulty; she was more trying to gauge how well I communicate my thought process.

A few days later, I was invited to an onsite. This was scheduled for about 1.5 to 2 weeks out. The onsite lasted about 4 hours, with 4 separate interviews. The interviews ranged from conversational to different types of coding challenges. The great thing was that they let me use my own laptop and setup I was comfortable with, and I was allowed to use any online resources I needed. They don't want to know that you've memorized all of the methods, but rather that you are able to find what you need and communicate your process.

Two days after the interview, I was contacted with an offer.

Interview Questions

• I can't give any specifics; just make sure you are familiar with anything from API/Rails level to front-end.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PagerDuty (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Recruiter phone screen. Then an emailed homework assignment (write a small app that meets some specs). Then a technical phone screen (collaboratively build on homework during a screen share) + behavioral questions with an engineering manager. Finally, a full-day onsite with mostly technical discussions/problems (and lunch with the team).

I was pleasantly surprised that the focus was not so much on theory as much as seeing you solve practical problems in real time and observing how well you interact with the other engineers. And I was free to use any language/framework I was most comfortable with.

Overall, I found the process very smooth and well organized. The company gave me the impression that they have their act together.

Interview Questions

• What's the most difficult technical problem you've solved?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PagerDuty (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Quite simple really:
    1. Phone call with recruiter
    2. Coding exercise over coderpad. Pretty simple stuff (like leetcode easy)
    3. Onsite Interview was also pretty easy. I think I may have overcomplicated things and that was likely the reason why I didn't get the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at PagerDuty in April 2015.

Interview

After the initial call, I was scheduled a 30 min technical phone interview. Was asked to write an algorithm on a shared document website, coderpad. I reached, and wrote, an optimal solution in about 15-20 minutes. As I was about to explain it, the interviewer told me he was being "kicked out of the room", had to leave, and hung up. It felt like the interviewer didn't expect me to be able to solve the problem and didn't know what to do when I did and that there was never any intention of hiring me in the first place. I was later told I wasn't a perfect fit for the role. Waste of time and extremely rude.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at PagerDuty.

Interview

Pretty straightforward, spoke with a recruiter who was trying to sell me on value for the role which pays kind of low. (oh we have a cool team, and good values, etc)

Spoke with the engineering manager anyway, he asked me some generic interview questions - who was your best mentor, what have you been working on, what's the worst feedback you've had?

Afterwards did a pair challenge pulled off some HackerRank exercise. Pretty common exercise I think: are these parentheses closed or not? Seems like the next rounds of interviews are going to be more of the same whiteboarding stuff

Interview Questions

• What was the worst feedback you've received?   Answer Question
    • Code interview: Given a set of parentheses, return true or false if they are closed or not   1 Answer

Software Interview

Interview

Horrible expereince.
    Not at all professional.
    They first asked me questions on my resume and then coding challenge started.
    I gave them the most optimal solution using hash set and they said complexity of hashset will be more than brute force. Later they realized thier mistake. It was video interview where two of the people were busy chatting among themselves while i was talking and coding.