Philips Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Philips Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 19, 2017

46 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Philips (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

After I submitted my resume and cover letter, a had a phone interview within a week. I had 2 panel interviews within the next few weeks, and then I received the offer. Skill set and a good fit with company culture seemed like important criteria for them.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your skills sets that you have to offer   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Philips

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monroeville, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Philips (Monroeville, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process itself was very efficient and well organized. It started with a phone screen with the development manager, then two team members, and finally an on-site interview. I was very impressed with the team, and I believe the feeling was mutual since I got an offer within an hour of the interview. I was ready to accept the offer, but here's when things went south:

At the time I was on an OPT visa and Philips promised to sponsor me for an H1-B application (it was mentioned in the offer letter as well). Right before accepting the offer, a friend of mine told me that Philips doesn't hire foreign nationals of certain countries. This went against the fact that Philips is an Equal Opportunity Employer (as advertised in the job description), which entitles the company to not discriminate against country of origin. Just to be safe however, I decided to send the HR an email respectfully asking if there were any restrictions related to my country of origin. She responded to the email and wanted me to call her immediately on her phone. When I did that, she told me that unfortunately Philips cannot hire or sponsor me due to my country of origin and that she was going to take the offer back. I'd imagine the reason the wanted me to call her rather than respond over email was because she didn't want it to be easily traceable, which could potentially cause legal issues since in reality they were breaking the law. Smart move Philips.

The worst part is that I had already declined another offer and wasn't able to get it back. In the future, if you're going to break the law, please at least try to be more discreet about it and try to determine the country of origin of the candidate before giving them an offer.

Interview Questions

• - Reverse a string without using a built-in function
      - Write unit tests for a piece of code that's written by another team member   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Philips (Foster City, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Initial phone screen with the recruiter followed by another technical phone screen. Then in-person interview two technical (peer panel and manager) and two behavioral with peers / managers. Technical interviews involved a mix of high-level design and technology specific questions related to their products. All interviewers were very open to questions and thoroughly explained the organization and products.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions to verify skills / knowledge listed on the resume   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Philips.

Interview

I applied for a position online via the Philips careers site. Was contacted by two recruiters who scheduled a phone screen with the hiring manager. The hiring manager called me for a discussion (about 40-45 minutes). The conversation felt a bit like getting drilled or interrogated. It eventually ended abruptly and the hiring manager mentioned that my recruiter would contact me to follow up. I reached out to the primary recruiter, but didn't receive a response. I later received an automated notification that the position had been filled.

Interview Questions

• What do you look for in your work environment or company culture?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Philips (Andover, MA) in February 2014.

Interview

Referred by a friend who works there. Scheduled a conf. call initial interview with primarily a single person asking the questions. Later that same day they contacted me to schedule an in-person interview for 5 days later. That interview lasted 4 hours and I met with 5 people. The hiring manager, the architect, and level 3, 4, & 5 software engineers. They were all very sharp and didn't focus on gotcha questions. 2 days later I had an offer in hand.

Interview Questions

• Had me comment on someone's code. Looking for me to offer advice on how to cleanup code, refactor, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had previously told the HR rep who setup the phone interview my desired salary. When the offer came it was exactly what I had asked for so I accepted it. It was a great offer and I didn't want to appear greedy by trying for more.

Anonymous Employee in Monroeville, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Philips (Monroeville, PA) in January 2014.

Interview

I initially secured my interview through Software Specialists, who matched my listed skills up against what Philips was looking for to ensure a match. After I passed that step, I had a brief phone call with the hiring manager at the Monroeville location. It was non-technical, essentially ensuring that they had all of the information they needed from my resume. A few days later, I received a technical interview over the phone. One engineer spoke while the other listened in on the conference call. I was asked a series of questions regarding my .Net skills, both asking about my experiences and also asking specific language questions about C#. A few days later, I was called in for a face-to-face interview on-site. They gave me a wide variety of times and I wound up picking one in the morning. I met with three people. I was supposed to meet with four, but the fourth person was snowed in. Oddly enough, I was asked very few questions. Instead, most of the "interview" consisted of them telling me about the project and its details. I was asked a few softball questions regarding programming practices, including source control, architecting practices, and how I might construct a set of unit tests for a given situation.

At the end of the interview, I was informed that I would receive an answer within a day's time. As it stood, it took them two days, but I can't rightly complain, as that's surprisingly fast for most companies. Unfortunately, my start date was delayed due to issues with paperwork, but they had a drug test and papers sent to me the day after they offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question I was asked was regarding how I might design a set of unit tests for an incoming stream of numeric data with specific formats.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Prior to being offered the job, I was asked about my desired hourly rate and was told that I was not eligible for benefits through Philips, although Software Specialists offered a plan. As it is, Software Specialists negotiated an hourly rate a dollar higher than what I had initially requested.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

First got a call from HR then was arranged a on-site interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

There were both technical questions and behavioral questions. The technical questions were not bad. They look for creative answers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Penn Pitt, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Philips (Penn Pitt, PA) in March 2013.

Interview

Phone round lasted an hour. Very punctual, very informative. Answered all my quetion about the company. Started off with reviewing resume, and then went into programming question and OS concepts.

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Philips (Cleveland, OH) in March 2013.

Interview

Basic interview process. Was asked to explain every single project I had done or worked with.