Philips Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Philips Interview Questions

Updated Aug 8, 2018

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Philips in May 2018.

Interview

There were totally 4 rounds of interview,
    1. Introduction and coding round - In this basic data structure was asked
    2. Machine Learning round(was given a project to complete) - was given a project they were looking at how I handled data.
    3. Resume round - They wanted to learn more about my background especially in machine learning
    4. HR interview

Interview Questions

• Implement merge sort and quick sort, explain its working with an example   Answer Question
    • How do you implement undo and redo(what data structure would you use)?   Answer Question
    • Web scrape and build a ML model to predict rating from an e - commerce website   Answer Question

Computer Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Philips (Boston, MA) in November 2009.

Interview

They picked up questions from the system randomly, most of the questions are behavior questions, like what do you do when you have conflict with your teammate during the work. Some background check questions like describe the most difficult problem you have had during work. General questions, better to be prepared

Interview Questions

• Do you have plans for the next 5 or 10 years?   Answer Question
    • are you willing to do more work than the others teammates do in your teamwork?   Answer Question

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Philips (Somerset, NJ) in May 2011.

Interview

application, ph interview, on-site interviews (x2)

Contract Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Philips (Foster City, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

I think the interview process really varies. You can start at as a temp. I've seen a lot of people hired from contract positions to permanent ones. Some hires are quickly brought on board. Some are put through a number of interviews. It really depends on your manager. It's not very regimented.

Interview Questions

• You are asked a lot of situational questions and question that are meant to get to who you are and what your values are.   1 Answer

Planner Interview

Interview

Standard interview process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Philips (Andover, MA) in July 2011.

Interview

Got an interview through internal referral. The technical interview process took half a day with 6 people (1 HR, architect, tech lead and peers). Questions included basic programming questions, past projects, OOP design.

Interview Questions

• Write a Fibonacci function.
      Describe a project you have worked on in details (include class diagram, sequence diagram, etc)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Philips (Foster City, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Initial phone screen with the recruiter followed by another technical phone screen. Then in-person interview two technical (peer panel and manager) and two behavioral with peers / managers. Technical interviews involved a mix of high-level design and technology specific questions related to their products. All interviewers were very open to questions and thoroughly explained the organization and products.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions to verify skills / knowledge listed on the resume   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monroeville, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Philips (Monroeville, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process itself was very efficient and well organized. It started with a phone screen with the development manager, then two team members, and finally an on-site interview. I was very impressed with the team, and I believe the feeling was mutual since I got an offer within an hour of the interview. I was ready to accept the offer, but here's when things went south:

At the time I was on an OPT visa and Philips promised to sponsor me for an H1-B application (it was mentioned in the offer letter as well). Right before accepting the offer, a friend of mine told me that Philips doesn't hire foreign nationals of certain countries. This went against the fact that Philips is an Equal Opportunity Employer (as advertised in the job description), which entitles the company to not discriminate against country of origin. Just to be safe however, I decided to send the HR an email respectfully asking if there were any restrictions related to my country of origin. She responded to the email and wanted me to call her immediately on her phone. When I did that, she told me that unfortunately Philips cannot hire or sponsor me due to my country of origin and that she was going to take the offer back. I'd imagine the reason the wanted me to call her rather than respond over email was because she didn't want it to be easily traceable, which could potentially cause legal issues since in reality they were breaking the law. Smart move Philips.

The worst part is that I had already declined another offer and wasn't able to get it back. In the future, if you're going to break the law, please at least try to be more discreet about it and try to determine the country of origin of the candidate before giving them an offer.

Interview Questions

• - Reverse a string without using a built-in function
      - Write unit tests for a piece of code that's written by another team member   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Philips.

Interview

I applied for a position online via the Philips careers site. Was contacted by two recruiters who scheduled a phone screen with the hiring manager. The hiring manager called me for a discussion (about 40-45 minutes). The conversation felt a bit like getting drilled or interrogated. It eventually ended abruptly and the hiring manager mentioned that my recruiter would contact me to follow up. I reached out to the primary recruiter, but didn't receive a response. I later received an automated notification that the position had been filled.

Interview Questions

• What do you look for in your work environment or company culture?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Philips (Andover, MA) in February 2014.

Interview

Referred by a friend who works there. Scheduled a conf. call initial interview with primarily a single person asking the questions. Later that same day they contacted me to schedule an in-person interview for 5 days later. That interview lasted 4 hours and I met with 5 people. The hiring manager, the architect, and level 3, 4, & 5 software engineers. They were all very sharp and didn't focus on gotcha questions. 2 days later I had an offer in hand.

Interview Questions

• Had me comment on someone's code. Looking for me to offer advice on how to cleanup code, refactor, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had previously told the HR rep who setup the phone interview my desired salary. When the offer came it was exactly what I had asked for so I accepted it. It was a great offer and I didn't want to appear greedy by trying for more.

Anonymous Employee in Monroeville, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Philips (Monroeville, PA) in January 2014.

Interview

I initially secured my interview through Software Specialists, who matched my listed skills up against what Philips was looking for to ensure a match. After I passed that step, I had a brief phone call with the hiring manager at the Monroeville location. It was non-technical, essentially ensuring that they had all of the information they needed from my resume. A few days later, I received a technical interview over the phone. One engineer spoke while the other listened in on the conference call. I was asked a series of questions regarding my .Net skills, both asking about my experiences and also asking specific language questions about C#. A few days later, I was called in for a face-to-face interview on-site. They gave me a wide variety of times and I wound up picking one in the morning. I met with three people. I was supposed to meet with four, but the fourth person was snowed in. Oddly enough, I was asked very few questions. Instead, most of the "interview" consisted of them telling me about the project and its details. I was asked a few softball questions regarding programming practices, including source control, architecting practices, and how I might construct a set of unit tests for a given situation.

At the end of the interview, I was informed that I would receive an answer within a day's time. As it stood, it took them two days, but I can't rightly complain, as that's surprisingly fast for most companies. Unfortunately, my start date was delayed due to issues with paperwork, but they had a drug test and papers sent to me the day after they offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question I was asked was regarding how I might design a set of unit tests for an incoming stream of numeric data with specific formats.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Prior to being offered the job, I was asked about my desired hourly rate and was told that I was not eligible for benefits through Philips, although Software Specialists offered a plan. As it is, Software Specialists negotiated an hourly rate a dollar higher than what I had initially requested.