Protective Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 13, 2018

2.5

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Protective Life (Birmingham, AL) in October 2009.

Interview

Initially contacted via phone by HR and conducted a short interview to ensure a skills match with the job. Within 2 days I was contacted personally by the department President and invited to lunch with the team. I was taken to a very elegant establishment where it was evident that my manners and confidence in that atmosphere were important. The President of the department began with small talk and introductions, which lasted for around 15-20 minutes allowing everyone to get acquainted. After the main course various team members began a more integral part of my interview, which was very pleasant and comfortable. The team seemed to be well informed of my experience and skills before hand and were able to move past that quickly and into the heart of our discussion. It was evident that they were already fairly confident with my skills, and only asked a few questions on that subject. It was essential to the team that we all be a good match personally to keep the integrity and overall coherence within the department. It was a long, but very pleasant interview and at the end the President told me that he believed I would make an excellent addition to the team and he would be in touch soon. I received a call from him later that day I believe, if not the following morning, was offered the position, negotiated and came out with a better salary than I had set my hard line at. Overall, probably the best interview experience I have had in all my working years.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a specific accounting question and was asked to solve it at the lunch table, obviously with no tools to aid me. All went well and I was able to verbally walk the team through the stages of how I would work and steps to take in order to solve it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate with the President of the department who made the offer and was given the salary I asked for without much of a fuss. After I began work there was a mistake that was that I was told I would be salaried and offered a salary, but was given a timed card and machine to clock in with by HR when I started. I went to the President and explained the situation and he said not to worry about punching in at all and he would take care of the transition for me. I never had to do anything to fix it myself. I felt very well protected and taken care of by my boss.

Staff Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Protective Life.

Interview

Met with the Department manager: Casual and very relaxed interview.
    Asked general questions like what I liked and did not like about my past job.
    Why should we hire you. Your strenghs. Your special qualities.
    I was called again after 3 days to meet with the other manager and asked somewhat similar questions like the first interview.
    Overall - very positive.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Protective Life (Birmingham, AL) in December 2016.

Interview

Complete waste of time. I had 5 different phone conversations before being flown into Birmingham, AL for the face-to-face interviews with 6 different individuals. Was told a few days later the feedback was positive and would be contacted on a Friday with an update. Friday came and went with no contact so I had to reach out to the recruiter two days later who sent me a canned email in another two days that was a thanks but no thanks response. SMH! They were too cheap to go with an external candidate who could actually do the job at hand. Ridiculous…

Interview Questions

• STAR questions of typical process.   1 Answer

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Protective Life (Birmingham, AL) in November 2009.

Interview

I got the interview after my resume was included in a book of all MIS majors resumes. They called me and offered the opportunity to interview, so I accepted. First part of interview was the Wonderlic Test. Second part was a 1:1 interview with HR consisting of mostly behavioral questions such as "Tell me about a time when you had to work with a difficult teammate."

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to work with a difficult teammate   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Protective Life (Birmingham, AL) in March 2017.

Interview

First applied online, then was asked to do a HireVue interview in which you answered questions based on what was asked on the screen using a webcam. Then was asked to do an in person interview a week later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Interview

Was contacted via email to apply online for this position. They got back to me within a few days to schedule a phone interview, which was fairly brief and mostly informative about the position. After that I received a call to schedule an on-site interview in Cincinnati. The on-site interview lasted around an hour and consisted of meeting people around the office and a few resume-based questions. Overall it was a comfortable experience with little difficulty.

Interview Questions

• What is a time that you were in a leadership position and the group did not get along?   Answer Question

Pursued other opportunities closer to my hometown.

Intern Interview

Interview

Had an interview on campus and then an in person interview. The interviews were not bad. He was a friendly guy who interviewed me. Some other people had to also go through a phone interview but I did not.

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Protective Life (Cincinnati, OH) in April 2015.

Interview

I met a recruiter at a career fair and went in for an interview the next week. I interviewed with 5 different managers and reviewed my resume. Finally I got a brief tour of the office. I received an offer about a week and a half later. It was an overall positive experience.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Protective Life (Cincinnati, OH) in April 2015.

Interview

The process began with an initial phone interview with HR. After that, I came in for an in-person interview with the department I would be working in. Overall, the experience was very positive.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Protective Life.

Interview

Phone interview followed by an in person panel interview. The panel interview asked a bunch of "low level" software questions (think bit-shifting, no framework string manip, etc) even though it was for a web dev position where such skills are absolutely useless.

Interview Questions

Didn't ask me any technical questions about what my role would actually be. Did not seem to have a clearly defined roadmap for their group. Could not describe their development process.