Railinc Java Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Railinc

1 Interview Review

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Railinc (Cary, NC) in November 2011.

Interview

I went through a recruiting company and was asked for an in person interview. I was pretty excited for the interview and felt I had a really good shot at the job. I had all the qualifications they asked for plus some and had more experience than they asked for. However, I was a little surprised to see that I had more experience than two out of the three who were interviewing me.

So, I get there and things are going fine for the first 90% of the interview. The interview is pretty disorganized with just the three people asking me random things about my background and then moving to basic questions. The basic questions are not too hard - things that take five seconds to google that you hardly need to spit out day to day unless you are in an intro to Java/JEE class. Mostly, the questions were either amorphous or pretty amateur as in basic OO questions and such.

So, towards the very end of the interview I get a couple questions that just do not make sense. I try to answer them, but I wonder if the interviewer knew how to explain what they were asking. So, their demeanor totally changes for the worse. After the interview, I found out that they were looking for some specific method calls and was disqualified for not rattling them off of the top of my head (basic JEE stuff any seasoned developer knows where to find but isn't something used everyday).

The architect (person with the most experience) then seemed to get a little antsy and basically annoyed to even have to be there. Questions I asked about the company were answered somewhat gruffly, but I remained polite. At the end of the interview, I was not even shown out of the office. I felt really disrespected - all because I could not answer one or two question out of at least 25 to their liking.

Overall, I got the feeling that a development job at Rail Inc will consist of less thinking and more just taking instructions from "architects." I think the development staff seemed less experienced than I would like at a company, and I think they may want an automaton and not someone who wants to think for themselves and grow. I also thought the attitude of the interviewers was disrespectful and would be concerned that it would spill over into a position there.

I had made the decision to reject any offer made from Rail Inc, but I found out the feeling was mutual the next day. I must say I was relieved that I did not get an offer. Plus, I found a better job the next day!

Interview Questions

• They asked for details about something I had done in college about 8 years ago to make sure I was who I said I was.   1 Answer