Razer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Razer (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Both phone screens went well. In person, spent 5 hours. The people who interviewed were nice enough. Wrote code for multiple questions which went fine. One question, I misunderstood one of the operations that I could do, so that messed up the whole thing. The interviewer did not let me know I could do that operation, without that operation, it was impossible to solve. The other had a math trick which the interviewers expected me to figure out during the interview. I did my best, and got pretty close to having an approach, but ran out of time to implement. When I did not get the right answers, the hiring manager, came in when I was supposed to meet her and said "Production Emergency!" escorting me out of the building. This was a complete lie. I followed up with the recruiter and they never responded. If they are going to be dishonest during the interview, I can only imagine what they would do with employees. Glad to not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Similar to this: Given an array of integers eg [1, 2, -3, 1] find whether there is a sub-sequence that sums to 0 and return it (eg [1, 2, -3] or [2, -3, 1]). Return the start and end of sequence of each range. Can it be solved in less than order n^2 time?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Razer (San Francisco, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

The interview process was smooth and comfortable, however, the recruiters need to relax a little and made the process worse.

I received a phone interview with the hiring manager after two days, which was over my background and asked language specific questions.

Next interview was an on-site interview, which was set up within 2 days. This consisted of 2 2-person interviews that were about design and weren't over algorithms. There were 3-1 on 1 interviews, 1 behavioral, 1 over system architecture, and the last with the hiring manager which is behavioral and asked language specific questions.

System design and user experience is the only thing to study. There were no algorithm or data structure questions but there were specific questions on the language they were using. I was definitely challenged and lacked several skills on my end. I did get a generous offer but declined due to other reasons (hiring manager, team and salary were definitely fit).

The only negative part was that the recruiters were way overselling my skill level. While I don't want to undersell myself, they were setting me up for failure for their own benefit.

I also went through three different recruiters. The first one quit immediately and constantly bugged me about the position (commission?), which made things stressful. The second recruiter also had their last day the next week after, which was very odd. Then I had a third recruiter, which seemed fine at least, though it took over a week to hear an offer. This felt strange that two recruiters quit so quickly as if they were having layoffs or they didn't like the work there.

Interview Questions

• What can we provide to consumers to get more sales? (weird question for an engineering position)   Answer Question
    • What is a product you are proud of?   Answer Question
    • What is a product that failed?   Answer Question
    • How do you transfer a large binary file?   Answer Question
    • Design the architecture of an app talking to a server (everything from http calls on the client to how to setup and scale the server)   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Razer (Carlsbad, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

Phone interview was fairly easy. Invited in for a 1:1. Got there and a gal in PJ's answered, which I thought was fairly strange. She took me to two Executives who asked me some fairly basic questions. Got a call a day later asking me to join.

Interview Questions

• What do you think the hot new game will be for next year on the PC platform?   Answer Question

Offer was a contract position which I was unaware of when I applied. Also, the executive said he was having second thoughts because I asked for the offer in writing. What's wrong with that? He said it wasn't 'cool'. I think this company has some growing up to do.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Razer (Irvine, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Phone interview at first. If all goes well then face to face interview. Several relevant people as part of the interview process. Need to go back usually at least two times.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Razer (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I was kept in the loop from start to finish - I knew what to expect at every stage, the timely communication was really refreshing. I interviewed with all of the managers except the VP who was out sick - we actually met up on a *weekend* for our interview. I've never had that happen before!

Interview Questions

• Have you worked with offshore teams before ? In what capacity ?
      Describe how you handled a project that didn't complete on time?
      How would you migrate to agile dev practices from the waterfall methodology? How would you handle naysayers?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Razer (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

I was immersed in my own startup when Daniel Parillo reached out to me via LinkedIn. I wasn’t looking for a change, but his approach was so polite and professional (un-recruiter-like) that I agreed to a phone chat. Daniel made a very compelling pitch about the team and culture at Razer so I thought “what the heck” and I agreed to a phone interview with the hiring manager, Stavros Lee. I really liked Stavros's management style and the fact that he didn't pressure me to make a decision at all – even though the position had been open for some time. Razer flew me up from San Diego to to San Francisco. I interviewed with several engineers and I knew immediately that the fit was perfect for both sides. There was absolutely no disconnect between what I was told by Stavros and Daniel and what I experienced on site. I had a few interesting (non-monetary) requirements during the negotiation process, but Daniel and Stavros bent over backwards to make it happen. As I mentioned earlier, I wasn’t looking for a job, but fortunately the folks at Razer helped me make one of the best decisions of my career. After my first week, there are zero regrets.

Interview Questions

• What is the most challenging thing about programming with Ruby on Rails?   1 Answer

Global Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Razer (Irvine, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Went through phone screening, email screening, two in-person interviews with separate people, and over skype with a senior manager. It was one of the oddest set of interviews I've ever experienced. Like, I had to keep re-telling my story to someone new with little pass-down from the previous hiring manager. I was getting called back for 2nd interviews with people that said the prior hiring manager / hr person had resigned literally a couple weeks or month before. The stories on this Glassdoor page seem to be true, the turnover rate seems insane... And, I was actually really stoked to work for this company too.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Razer?   1 Answer

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Razer (Irvine, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

A very strange experience indeed. Was contacted through an agency that I had worked with before for this particular opportunity. I was to interview with an exec at a Starbucks due to "secrecy" concerns. Turns out the Exec was the recruiters Father? The pay they were offering was extremely low. The entire operation seemed suspect and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Wasn't so much an interview, more just listening to the Exec I met with complain about his team.   1 Answer

Very low pay for this position. Company seems like it's in turmoil.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Razer (Carlsbad, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Was a phone interview...short and sweet.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

sent me an offer...negotiated a little.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Razer (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

At the start of my interview process Razer seemed like a great place to work in a fast moving and exciting industry. They were on my short list of employers and I was turning down offers and other candidacies in hopes of joining them.

The initial process began quickly with multiple international phone interviews within the first 2 weeks but then faltered as the contact left abruptly; the hiring manager and team members had no clue why communication had stopped. After nearly 2 weeks of not being able to reach anyone from HR or the hiring division I was able to find a contact through their customer-facing e-commerce site. Soon after, I was able to speak to the hiring manager and scheduled an in-person interview to discuss a position that they were creating exclusively for me.

The face-to-face follow-up interview went exceedingly well and I was offered the position on the spot. I made it clear then and in writing after that I intended to join the team once the written offer was sent and agreed upon. Being fully aware of the negative reviews online, I asked the hiring manager if he was aware of the them and what his response was to the bad PR. He reassured me that most were baseless and residual effects of a transition in the Irvine office; ultimately, he trivialized the issue and said that from his perspective he was unaware of the same sentiment in the SF office.

Nearly 1.5 weeks later after constant follow-up, the written offer was received. In the face-to-face interview we had discussed salary and the desire for market value, or near market value. Unfortunately, as other reviews attest to, compensation at Razer is well below market rate and in this case the offer was 40+% below what could be found as a median salary here on Glassdoor.

I agreed to the start date but wanted to negotiate on salary in good faith. Again, I made it clear that I was accepting the offer in principle but wanted to propose a salary negotiation. Because of my strong desire to work at Razer and having turned down other offers during the process and after both verbal and written offers were extended I proposed the following:
    a. 10% increase up front (still 30+% below market rate)
    b. 2% increase up front with a 6-month performance review with potential to make up to ~18% (still 20+% below market rate)

Both the hiring manager and HR contact responded positively and assured me that my negotiation was reasonable and just needed the CEO to sign off on the counter. After another 1.5 weeks, I finally received a call from the hiring manager.

With no real explanation or reasoning, he RESCINDED THE WRITTEN OFFER claiming that the CEO now wanted the position based overseas. Not based on my counteroffer or any other valid reason, but simply that the CEO had changed his mind.

Obviously disappointed and frustrated with the lack of ethics and morality, I emailed the hiring manager and HR contact asking for a written explanation of the rescinded offer as well as possible restitution, as they were well aware that I was turning down other positions to join them.

Not that I was surprised based on dealing with them for the past 2.5 months, but 2 weeks later the HR contact responded and blatantly lied about the situation claiming that I turned down the offer to work for them. Absolutely ludicrous but by that point I was done with dealing with this unscrupulous company.

While I may have dodged a bullet by not joining Razer, I could not be more disgusted with their practices and management techniques. While looking at legal repercussions I chose to write this review in hopes that potential employees and partners are aware of the dire situation at Razer and their complete lack of ethics. I would hate for someone else to be put in a similar position as I am in so heed my words and the other reviews here!

Interview Questions

• What are some products, partners, and suppliers that you've worked with previously in this industry?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was rescinded without explanation during negotiation.