Razer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Razer

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Razer (San Francisco, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

The interview process was smooth and comfortable, however, the recruiters need to relax a little and made the process worse.

I received a phone interview with the hiring manager after two days, which was over my background and asked language specific questions.

Next interview was an on-site interview, which was set up within 2 days. This consisted of 2 2-person interviews that were about design and weren't over algorithms. There were 3-1 on 1 interviews, 1 behavioral, 1 over system architecture, and the last with the hiring manager which is behavioral and asked language specific questions.

System design and user experience is the only thing to study. There were no algorithm or data structure questions but there were specific questions on the language they were using. I was definitely challenged and lacked several skills on my end. I did get a generous offer but declined due to other reasons (hiring manager, team and salary were definitely fit).

The only negative part was that the recruiters were way overselling my skill level. While I don't want to undersell myself, they were setting me up for failure for their own benefit.

I also went through three different recruiters. The first one quit immediately and constantly bugged me about the position (commission?), which made things stressful. The second recruiter also had their last day the next week after, which was very odd. Then I had a third recruiter, which seemed fine at least, though it took over a week to hear an offer. This felt strange that two recruiters quit so quickly as if they were having layoffs or they didn't like the work there.

Interview Questions

• What can we provide to consumers to get more sales? (weird question for an engineering position)   Answer Question
    • What is a product you are proud of?   Answer Question
    • What is a product that failed?   Answer Question
    • How do you transfer a large binary file?   Answer Question
    • Design the architecture of an app talking to a server (everything from http calls on the client to how to setup and scale the server)   Answer Question

UI/User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Razer (San Francisco, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

The first interview was a quick phone interview with their recruiter. The next day I had a second phone interview with the 2 of the folks in the UX team who were extremely nice. Then we set up a face to face interview for the week later with the entire design team in their SF office. Everyone was super welcoming and chill. The last step was the interview with the UX Director who was also really understanding and awesome. There were issues with communication or scheduling but he was understanding.

UI/User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Razer (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

The interview process lasted about two months. There was a phone interview with a recruiter, another phone interview with the design team lead, an in-person interview with the team, and a final interview with the UI/UX director.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Razer (Irvine, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

A long parade of men interviewed me. I was put into a conference room. I had a phone interview with a PR person the next day but he didn't bother to call

Interview Questions

• You have a lot of video game experience but you don't have any hardware experience?   1 Answer
    • I had a phone interview the next day with a PR person. He didn't bother to call. No explanation. Nothing.   1 Answer

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Razer (Irvine, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter within a couple days. Process was very simple.

- Phone screen with recruiter
    - Phone interview with hiring manager
    - Onsite interview with hiring manager and another high level manager

The interview felt very laidback, which I thought was a positive reflection of the company culture. The recruiter did an excellent job at keeping me in the loop so I never felt left in the dark.

Interview Questions

• Questions about how my experience relates to the position I applied for, why Razer, etc.   Answer Question

Digital Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me after applying and said that she liked my experience and wanted to have an initial call to go over my resume. She sent over a time and date and I accepted. That day/time came and I didn't get a call. I reached out over email to see if there was mistake, but still haven't even gotten a reply or apology. Waste of time and unprofessional to say the least.

Interview Questions

• Are you available to chat on this day/time?   1 Answer

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Razer.

Interview

Generic troubleshooting questions that provides no insight on candidates depth and breadth of knowledge. Interviewers were inadequately prepared in terms of having questions on hand and were poorly dressed, very unprofessional in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if your mouse disconnects   1 Answer

Android Engineer Interview

Interview

Heard from a recruiter before I heard from the actual in-house recruiter since they were slow to read my application. Was given a subjective test where I had to debug/give comments on a very complicated activity class that had very little documentation so sometimes I didn't know if it was an error or supposed to be there/clever coding. I spent a few hours on it, but it was not enough for the hiring manager apparently and was rejected without any feedback. It took 4 business days to receive a response back. First time I had ever done something like that for interview process and it was a bust.

Interview Questions

• A take-home test where you make comments on a 700+ line file saying what is wrong with it or could be changed.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Razer in May 2016.

Interview

Quick get to know you interview, with some inquiry on technical skills. Then a basic programming test to see if you know the Chroma SDK and could actively work on it. Another interview with more hands on questions about technical skills and on-the-job situations.

Interview Questions

• How have you resolved conflicts with teammates in past projects   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Razer (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

At the start of my interview process Razer seemed like a great place to work in a fast moving and exciting industry. They were on my short list of employers and I was turning down offers and other candidacies in hopes of joining them.

The initial process began quickly with multiple international phone interviews within the first 2 weeks but then faltered as the contact left abruptly; the hiring manager and team members had no clue why communication had stopped. After nearly 2 weeks of not being able to reach anyone from HR or the hiring division I was able to find a contact through their customer-facing e-commerce site. Soon after, I was able to speak to the hiring manager and scheduled an in-person interview to discuss a position that they were creating exclusively for me.

The face-to-face follow-up interview went exceedingly well and I was offered the position on the spot. I made it clear then and in writing after that I intended to join the team once the written offer was sent and agreed upon. Being fully aware of the negative reviews online, I asked the hiring manager if he was aware of the them and what his response was to the bad PR. He reassured me that most were baseless and residual effects of a transition in the Irvine office; ultimately, he trivialized the issue and said that from his perspective he was unaware of the same sentiment in the SF office.

Nearly 1.5 weeks later after constant follow-up, the written offer was received. In the face-to-face interview we had discussed salary and the desire for market value, or near market value. Unfortunately, as other reviews attest to, compensation at Razer is well below market rate and in this case the offer was 40+% below what could be found as a median salary here on Glassdoor.

I agreed to the start date but wanted to negotiate on salary in good faith. Again, I made it clear that I was accepting the offer in principle but wanted to propose a salary negotiation. Because of my strong desire to work at Razer and having turned down other offers during the process and after both verbal and written offers were extended I proposed the following:
    a. 10% increase up front (still 30+% below market rate)
    b. 2% increase up front with a 6-month performance review with potential to make up to ~18% (still 20+% below market rate)

Both the hiring manager and HR contact responded positively and assured me that my negotiation was reasonable and just needed the CEO to sign off on the counter. After another 1.5 weeks, I finally received a call from the hiring manager.

With no real explanation or reasoning, he RESCINDED THE WRITTEN OFFER claiming that the CEO now wanted the position based overseas. Not based on my counteroffer or any other valid reason, but simply that the CEO had changed his mind.

Obviously disappointed and frustrated with the lack of ethics and morality, I emailed the hiring manager and HR contact asking for a written explanation of the rescinded offer as well as possible restitution, as they were well aware that I was turning down other positions to join them.

Not that I was surprised based on dealing with them for the past 2.5 months, but 2 weeks later the HR contact responded and blatantly lied about the situation claiming that I turned down the offer to work for them. Absolutely ludicrous but by that point I was done with dealing with this unscrupulous company.

While I may have dodged a bullet by not joining Razer, I could not be more disgusted with their practices and management techniques. While looking at legal repercussions I chose to write this review in hopes that potential employees and partners are aware of the dire situation at Razer and their complete lack of ethics. I would hate for someone else to be put in a similar position as I am in so heed my words and the other reviews here!

Interview Questions

• What are some products, partners, and suppliers that you've worked with previously in this industry?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was rescinded without explanation during negotiation.