Rocketship Public Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 10, 2018

2.5

1. Featured Interview

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rocketship Public Schools in April 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter and was then invited out to California to interview with several principals in a group interview setting. I had the chance to talk to one principal on the phone before the interview and I visited three campuses during my visit. I had a few offers coming out of the day and got to choose the campus I wanted to receive my offer from.

Interview Questions

• Asked to review sample data and give suggestions about what next steps to take for students.   Answer Question

Special Education Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rocketship Public Schools.

Interview

Started with a phone screen which lasted for 15 mins, progressed to in-person interview with a panel of 4 people in total. The interview lasted for 30 mins. Emma Yusuf made it very comfortable. Excellent, and dedicated team!

Business Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Discovery Bay, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rocketship Public Schools (Discovery Bay, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Email with interest in my application came within days of submitting application. It asked me to briefly respond to 4 basic questions to determine a fit for interviewing. The first interview via Videochat was uncomfortable and unprofessional. I felt the interviewer lacked basic skills & failed to steer the conversation productively. It also seemed I was interrupting a private coffee break at a stranger's house to interview for a professional position. Not impressed :/

Interview Questions

• How would you help a struggling employee improve in their current position? What steps would you take to help develop employees underneath you who are not performing? How would you approach changing an employee's assignment if they were not capable of succeeding in their current position.   1 Answer

Administrative Interview

Interview

Passed phone screen, had in person final interview with higher up which was the worst interview I had ever been on in my entire life. Rude, demeaning, unprofessional. They really should consider having an HR representative present when these interviews are conducted, it might save them a lot of money with future lawsuits. Peculiar irrelevant questions such as "do you own a phone?" Quickly after sitting down, "you're not the person I'm looking for in a candidate." Ok... why did you have me jump through all your hoops to sit in front of you? I was kind and polite all throughout the interview, but completely shocked/confused/offended upon it's completion-relieved that I was not offered a position to work there. I would not want to work for any organization that thrives in these kinds of values. Ironic, given the mission of this organization. Anyone interviewing or considering working here-beware, verbally abusive, demeaning, rude is the company culture here. Proceed with caution-or in my case run. Dodge the bullet. Lastly- I would want to say to this organization and it's higher ups- I clearly understand the notion that this is an employers market which may give you the idea that it's ok to treat people like crap- but it's not. It's never ok. It will be the demise of your organization because it contradicts the roots it was established upon. Here's a thought for the genius questions I was given. Maybe if you took a flek of your inflated salaries and put it towards implementing an actual procedure in hiring people based on skills and integrity, passion and backround, instead of their endurance to rudeness, harassment disrespect and pointless insults- you wouldn't have the turnover you do, be facing the struggles you are, and would have a rocketship that is propelling forward with the fuel of positivity instead of backwards with backwards people.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rocketship Public Schools (Nashville, TN) in February 2013.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter, which lasted about 30 minutes which was fairly easy. I then had an f2f interview that lasted about 3 hours! The questions were already typed on paper. If you have had success as a teacher previously, the questions won't be a problem.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had a student that didn't do any work during small group activities?   Answer Question

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Rocketship Public Schools (Washington, DC) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied online through a recruiter. The recruiter coordinated with school leaders to set an interview day and schedule. I arrived at the school site and met with various principals and assistant principals from multiple school campuses. I observed different programs and classrooms throughout the day, including Rocketship's signature morning assembly called "Launch." I was asked to prepare a 20 minute model lesson for a pre-determined grade level and subject; the topic and objective were at my discretion. I had about 5 minutes day of to set up for the lesson. I delivered the lesson to a small group of students while two school leaders observed and filmed the lesson. After the Demo lesson, I debriefed with one of the school leaders and received feedback. This part of the interview focused on instruction and questions centered around my lesson planning process, my response to feedback, and my willingness to receive coaching and implement feedback. Another part of the interview focused on culture and mindset, and questions asked me to describe times when I worked in team settings, when I had to make difficult choices, or when I had made a mistake. An additional interview session involved a Rocketship parent, who asked me questions about my qualifications and experience and how I would handle misbehaving students.

Interview Questions

• Is is better to do something well or on time?   Answer Question
    • How would you use data in your classroom to help a struggling student?   Answer Question

Assistant Principal Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rocketship Public Schools (San Jose, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

5 years ago, I flew out to interview for an AP position at Rocketship. There was a data interview , a role play and a parent interview. I really enjoyed that I was able to meet so many people from the different parts of the organization.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Rocketship Public Schools (Redwood City, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Was brought into a final round interview after three phone screens. The phone screens were professional and the interviewers did a good job of assessing my skills. The final round interview, however, was a very bad experience. I was to meet with 11 people in a six hour period with only one 1/2 hour break for lunch. There were no other breaks. Lunch was a fend-for-myself situation. The team that I would have worked with every day were only scheduled a half hour to meet with me. This was the first time I was to meet them in person. One of the 11 interviewers one was a no show. One of the others was supposed to meet with me for one hour. He gave me 20 minutes of his time. He arrived 20 minutes late, asked irrelevant questions, dismissed a few of my questions with a statement about how he couldn't answer them, interrupted my questions at one point by suggesting I did not need to continue and then had no follow-up questions of his own. He then ended the interview. Most of the interviewers were professional, respectful and appropriate but this one person was not. Several interviewers revealed some problems with the organization that made me concerned. Due to the poor structuring of the interview process, the one person in particular who was rude and the internal problems they spoke of, I decided to preempt an acceptance or a rejection with a withdrawal of candidacy.

Interview Questions

• "Are there other positions you have interviewed for that have interested you?"   1 Answer

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rocketship Public Schools (Nashville, TN) in January 2016.

Interview

A brief phone interview, a face to face interview a third interview and "assessment". I do feel that my time was wasted. Multiple interviews that weren't even that intensive. During the third interview, there were 2 other applicants for the position there. We were moved back and forth from person to person. At one point, there was a guy in the room with a laptop who said nothing. We were not introduced. I'm assuming he was a hiring manager. I waited about 10 days after the interview. I reached out to them and sent an email. He apologized and said I wasent selected. It would have been professional on his behalf to send me an update on his own. I'm sure I was overqualified. I'm sure they were looking for someone specific. Waste of time and would not apply for another position with this place.

Operations Manager Interview

Interview

Passed phone screen and came in for in person interview; from the start, it seemed the interview actually wasn't interested in talking to me; he asked a few superficial, thoughtless questions and then turned it over to me

Overall - disrespectful and a waste of my time. If that's how they conduct interviews, I don't want to work there.

Interview Questions

• There were none -- the interview only asked stock, meaningless questions.   Answer Question