Rocketship Public Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 16, 2018

2.5

1. Featured Interview

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rocketship Public Schools in April 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter and was then invited out to California to interview with several principals in a group interview setting. I had the chance to talk to one principal on the phone before the interview and I visited three campuses during my visit. I had a few offers coming out of the day and got to choose the campus I wanted to receive my offer from.

Interview Questions

• Asked to review sample data and give suggestions about what next steps to take for students.   Answer Question

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Rocketship Public Schools (Washington, DC) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied online through a recruiter. The recruiter coordinated with school leaders to set an interview day and schedule. I arrived at the school site and met with various principals and assistant principals from multiple school campuses. I observed different programs and classrooms throughout the day, including Rocketship's signature morning assembly called "Launch." I was asked to prepare a 20 minute model lesson for a pre-determined grade level and subject; the topic and objective were at my discretion. I had about 5 minutes day of to set up for the lesson. I delivered the lesson to a small group of students while two school leaders observed and filmed the lesson. After the Demo lesson, I debriefed with one of the school leaders and received feedback. This part of the interview focused on instruction and questions centered around my lesson planning process, my response to feedback, and my willingness to receive coaching and implement feedback. Another part of the interview focused on culture and mindset, and questions asked me to describe times when I worked in team settings, when I had to make difficult choices, or when I had made a mistake. An additional interview session involved a Rocketship parent, who asked me questions about my qualifications and experience and how I would handle misbehaving students.

Interview Questions

• Is is better to do something well or on time?   Answer Question
    • How would you use data in your classroom to help a struggling student?   Answer Question

Business Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Discovery Bay, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rocketship Public Schools (Discovery Bay, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Email with interest in my application came within days of submitting application. It asked me to briefly respond to 4 basic questions to determine a fit for interviewing. The first interview via Videochat was uncomfortable and unprofessional. I felt the interviewer lacked basic skills & failed to steer the conversation productively. It also seemed I was interrupting a private coffee break at a stranger's house to interview for a professional position. Not impressed :/

Interview Questions

• How would you help a struggling employee improve in their current position? What steps would you take to help develop employees underneath you who are not performing? How would you approach changing an employee's assignment if they were not capable of succeeding in their current position.   1 Answer

Special Education Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rocketship Public Schools.

Interview

Started with a phone screen which lasted for 15 mins, progressed to in-person interview with a panel of 4 people in total. The interview lasted for 30 mins. Emma Yusuf made it very comfortable. Excellent, and dedicated team!

Humanities Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rocketship Public Schools (Milwaukee, WI) in May 2016.

Interview

Interview process was long because it was through the network to start. It took about 2 months for the whole process. I had to keep emailing school leaders and network to keep the process rolling.

Interview Questions

• One thing they have you do is look at a set of student data and analyze it. Then they asked you to set a plan for intervention for each student.   1 Answer

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rocketship Public Schools (Nashville, TN) in January 2016.

Interview

A brief phone interview, a face to face interview a third interview and "assessment". I do feel that my time was wasted. Multiple interviews that weren't even that intensive. During the third interview, there were 2 other applicants for the position there. We were moved back and forth from person to person. At one point, there was a guy in the room with a laptop who said nothing. We were not introduced. I'm assuming he was a hiring manager. I waited about 10 days after the interview. I reached out to them and sent an email. He apologized and said I wasent selected. It would have been professional on his behalf to send me an update on his own. I'm sure I was overqualified. I'm sure they were looking for someone specific. Waste of time and would not apply for another position with this place.

SLPA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rocketship Public Schools (San Jose, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

In person interview with Rocketship head and SLP. Inquired regarding work load and time spent serving as a bilingual SLPA. Interviewers were unable to specify of school location but shared I would be working with primarily bilingual students and monolingual parents. Data taken daily. Prep time for therapy was stated to be limited.

Interview Questions

• Closely related to speech experience   1 Answer

Enrichment Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rocketship Public Schools (San Jose, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Very dynamic interview process. I was asked to teach a pre-determined art lesson to the 3 evaluators. I was able to choose the grade level. They gave me a bit of time before-hand to prepare. Then I was given 20 minutes to "teach" the lesson Afterward, I was critiqued and they offered their insight on changing my approach.
    The interview was formal, yet became more relaxed toward the end, during the question and answer session, after the mock-lesson.
    Very respectful and encouraging evaluators. This was followed up with a phone interview with another admin.

Interview Questions

• What is the best collaborative teaching environment I have worked in. What worked?
      What was a challenging team environment I have worked in?
      How do I handle disagreements amongst team members?   Answer Question

Full Time Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rocketship Public Schools (San Jose, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

spoke to the recruiter for 45 minutes, had interviews with principals later that were looking to hire, one was about data and one was about culture. easy stuff if you know how to teach.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Rocketship?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none.

Management Role Interview

Interview

Phone interview was thorough and really felt like I was getting the details and that my questions were answered. The explanation of the school I would be working in was honest and realistic.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of something you have done in a management role that you would have preferred went differently.   2 Answers