Simon Property Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Simon Property Group Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2017

2.5

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Simon Property Group.

Interview

1-- Applied online - experience was average or expected
    Received an email - they were interested in my application, had an invitation to take their skills matching online assessment. (Also received call from local GM confirming this invitation) Received request very shortly after applying online - definitely less than a week.

2-- Skills matching assessment - experience was intense and seemingly never ending. Was told this would take an hour and a half at most --- 3-4 hours later I finished. Logic questions, math questions, vocabulary questions.

3-- Local Interview in person - Informed I passed with high marks 95%? - invited to Interview at local office. Experience was average or expected. Met with GM - she was fantastic. Really had good report. Also met marketing assistant and she was pretty good, too. Given the impression this was a slam dunk. Almost 2 hour local interview.

4-- Phone interview with Regional Marketing Manager - scoped out her LinkedIn profile, she'd pretty much only worked for Simon in her work history. One hour phone interview

5-- Phone interview with Regional Business Development Manager - scoped out his LinkedIn profile, he'd pretty much only worked for Simon in his work history. One hour phone interview.

6-- Interview at Corporate -- a week later they FLEW ME TO INDIANAPOLIS. Not sure if it was designed to impress - but it didn't - I was more annoyed than anything that they didn't have enough from this process to close the deal. Yet, I do understand that it is less expensive to fly someone in for ANOTHER interview than to train the wrong candidate. At the airport at 5:30am -- didn't return until 10:45pm that same day - they didn't bother to set a lunch or dinner meeting or even pick me up at the airport. I was responsible for transfers and food, they would reimburse me -- still waiting for that. 2 hour interview at corporate plus an entire day of travel)

HOMEWORK A: present a 30-60-90 day onboarding / sales success plan and review with Regional Marketing & Regional Business Development Managers (at least 2-3 hours to prepare)

HOMEWORK B: prepare a Simon Brand Ventures pitch to a prospective client and present to Regional Marketing & Regional Business Development Managers (PowerPoint, no more than 10 slides) (at least 8 hours to prepare)

7-- "Since we're here" - invited me to meet a Vice President that oversaw the General Managers while in Indianapolis. She kept me waiting easily 20+ minutes with these other regional directors. Finally had a chance to spend about 10 minutes with her while a bunch of staffers were having some sort of happy hour on the patio. I thought this went well for the limited time we had. Thanked for my time and I asked when they would be making a decision, they said by next week some time.

Arrived home by 11:00pm - by 3:45pm the NEXT DAY I had a rejection letter in my email. (Not even a phone call). I honestly left feeling I aced this hoop jumping extravaganza interview marathon. I've held MUCH MORE PROMINENT positions than what I was interviewing for and didn't have to circus stunt like this.

After being shocked for about an hour - a stark realization hit me -- if they cannot or will not empower the local general manager to make a hire decision (the person who would be my immediate supervisor) a) what do they think of her? Are they looking to get rid of her? b) if I'm seeing THIS MUCH micromanaging in the interview process - what would it be like to work for these people? I spent WELL OVER 40 hours of my life researching and preparing presentations, flying to Indianapolis, taking their online assessment and meeting for a total of 6 1/2 hours of interviews - to not land this less then desirable paying job?!! I think this worked out for the best.

PLEASE BEWARE OF THE CULTURE - don't get excited until you get the job, tell them you "bleed Simon" even if it's not well branded in your community (like mine - it's a MALL not a "SIMON MALL" - nobody around here knows the parent company) because I truly feel after this experience that they'd rather believe a lie than admit that branding is not strong everywhere. GOOD LUCK - but be careful you DON'T WASTE TOO MUCH OF YOUR PRECIOUS JOB SEARCHING TIME!

Interview Questions

• I was asked the same canned interviewing questions at least 4 times through this process - starting with "Tell me about yourself".   Answer Question

Guest Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Simon Property Group (Charlotte, NC) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online. They called to tell me to interview. I met with the Marketing Director and the Guest Services Manager. It was only about half an hour. After that, there was a lot of online paperwork and tests. For example, a math and vocab test, a personality test, and some other ones about handling customers. The online process took forever, and nobody gave me a heads up or even told me about it beforehand. I wish they handled hiring employees more in-person than over the computer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us? What relevant experience do you have? Biggest strength/weakness? Name a time you had to deal with an upset customer.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Simon Property Group (Kennesaw, GA) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was really short. I arrived about 15 minutes early and I sat in the office, once I got back to the room where they would be interviewing me. They asked me about 3 questions and that was it. I could kind of tell they weren't interested by the way they were speaking.

Mall Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Simon Property Group in May 2016.

Interview

I applied on May 1, and received an offer June 2. First I received a phone call from HR a week after i applied, which was a screening to inform me on the expectations of the position and to make sure my qualifications matched. Then a week later I had two phone interviews with the Regional Vice President. After that I had to take an assessment which was about an hour long. It was a personality section, math section, and grammar. I had to submit a background check as well. A week later I received an offer. The process was very organized. HR was great and made me comfortable with relocating.

Interview Questions

• There were Behavior questions (Name a time you dealt with a difficult client, How did you handle it?). Mostly we talked about my work experience. My advice is to show your personality and be confident.   Answer Question

Security Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Simon Property Group (Eagan, MN) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online, called the next day for an interview and was hired on the spot. Fingerprints and drug test. very easy process... if you don't get hired, you must of really done something wrong

Interview Questions

• If you were a supervisor and had 2 officers working and there was a shoplifter, medical incident and a lost child reported. What would you send your officers to and why   1 Answer

Operations Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Simon Property Group (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview process was good. Not too intense, but thorough. One of my references did get called, and I was interviewed first by my supervisor, then his supervisor, and finally a regional manager did a short phone interview with me. This took some time as did the final approvals and paperwork from corporate office.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions about my work history, nothing tricky or too difficult. If you are honest and have the qualifications and qualities they are looking for, you will do fine.   1 Answer

Senior Bookkeeper Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Simon Property Group (Indianapolis, IN) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone interview that lasted roughly 20 minutes and then face to face interview with 3 interviewees. Lasted for an hour. I applied online and was emailed in a few weeks. Very scary approach especially when meeting with more than one person

Interview Questions

• How are you with confidential information?   1 Answer
    • Why are you looking to leave your current position?   Answer Question

Not Applicable Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Simon Property Group (Indianapolis, IN) in February 2016.

Interview

I had applied for 1 job, had 2 phone interviews and then was invited in for a 5 hour interview. 5 HOURS. with 5 different people, asking the same questions each hour. Then, was asked to apply for a different position, invited in for an 8 hour interview. 8 hours! Was there almost 10 because people had other stuff to do. Then they went with an internal candidate. I had to follow up. No courtesy of telling me, after taking all that PTO to interview, that I didn't get it.

Interview Questions

• If you were a traffic sign, what would you be?   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Simon Property Group in February 2016.

Interview

phone screen -> interview with potential supervisor. very basic and casual conversation. both of my interviews were through the phone. there is also a 50 word minimum on this portion of the review so i'm just gonna keep typing stuff until i meet the minimum hopefully it's okay now

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Simon Property Group (Indianapolis, IN) in January 2016.

Interview

Very seamless process, organization is excellent about responding promptly. Headquartered in Indianapolis but many different very appealing locations across the country. Company is at the top of its field and effectively showed me during the process how innovative their business approach is across the board. Interviews were with several different group presidents.

Interview Questions

• What about the position of marketing director interests you?   Answer Question