Smartling Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Smartling Interview Questions

Interviews at Smartling

Client Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Smartling (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview started with a brief screening call with the HR Director. She was extremely helpful and very enthusiastic while describing the company and its culture.

I then had in-person interviews with the Director and the VP. I also met two members in the client services team. Everyone I met was awesome and I honestly didn't feel like it was an interview - they made me feel so comfortable. I could definitely tell that they were passionate about the company and happy with the work they did there.

The questions were very straightforward. The role requires a lot of problem solving, so they will ask you questions on how you would approach a particular problem to test your thought process.

All throughout the process, the HR Director was fantastic in helping me with questions about the position, culture of the company and the role. She was very responsive and made the whole interview process smooth and painless.

Interview Questions

• They describe a situation where the tool or product doesn't work and ask you how you would pinpoint the underlying issue.   Answer Question

Even though Smartling is a great company, I accepted another role which was a better fit for me.

Business Development Interview

Application

Interview

The location of the office is pretty good, at midtown and convenience to everything. The office is cool with open space and a kitchen. The whole process was pretty smooth. The interviewer was nice and professional. Nothing very special.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little bit about working as a sales person in a B2B company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Smartling (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Met with a number of the current team and other teams we collaborate with. The 1:1s were helpful as a number of the current team were new and gave me a very good impression of their first 3-60-90 days with the company. The team members we very engaging and excited about the work they were undertaking.

Interview Questions

• Go-to-Market philosophy.
      Examples of campaigns.
      Demonstrable results of past marketing success.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Smartling in June 2018.

Interview

Phone screen with HR+Hiring Manager. Hiring manager spoke with a condescending tone the whole time, one of the worst interviews I had. Position was never filled via linkedin, so not sure if they were actually hiring or just doing interviews.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Smartling (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by HR soon after I submitted an online application that I found from LinkedIn. I had a phone call with HR ad the person who I would be reporting to.

I then had to submit a take home assignment that I had 3 days to complete. I was then invited in to have an in person interview with 2 of my peers, the Director, and the Vice President.

Later that week I came in again to meet with the Director and CEO. I had an hour interview with the CEO.

Interview Questions

• Give examples of lead generating campaigns that you have successfully completed in the past. What were your results?   1 Answer
    • What does Smartling do?   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Smartling (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

Pretty standard interview process at the beginning, that quickly turned sour. Applied online and heard from a recruiter pretty quickly. Standard phone screening w/ the recruiter. Basic interview questions, gauged by interest in the company, sales, attainment to quota, etc.

My next interview was via phone with the SVP of Operations. They were pretty cold - not a pleasant conversation to have. Seemed less interested in learning about me, and more interested in tearing up my experience. They were extremely misguided about the nuances of my previous employer, and instead described my experience as "easy and basic". A little research on my previous company would counter that, but my interviewer went into the call with an assumptive attitude rather than curious. Nonetheless, they allowed me to come into interview.

My in person interview started out great. I met with an Account Manager and a Customer Success Manager who clarified a lot about the position. They asked thoughtful and provoking questions that got me thinking. I enjoyed this portion. However, I was then scheduled to meet with the same SVP again. The lack of warmth and curiosity from our phone call was intensified in this round. Not only were they late to our interview, they again conducted it with assumptions rather than an eagerness to learn about my experience. Once again they clung to the notion that my previous employer was not even close to the same level as Smartling. Rather than "tell me about the intricacies of the software you sold?" it was "The software and service you sold is very basic compared to Smartling and a much easier sale. Prove me wrong". I was in a direct line of fire throughout the interview and it solidified my disinterest in working at Smartling.

The last question they asked as we were walking out of their office was "on a scale of 1-10, how comfortable are you with coding?". I paused, thought for a second, and responded with 2. He shook his head, and said something along the lines of "that's my point." This is a sales position.. Not anywhere in the job description does it mention or require any experience in coding. The recruiter never mentioned coding experience. More interestingly, the Customer Success Manager and Account Manager in my interview didn't mention coding, even after I asked them both about the attributes that correlate to a successful AM.. Pretty odd to ask that now, and then make a comment that it "proves the point" of why I'm less of a good fit.

Advice to SVP: do some research on the companies that your candidates come from. Don't make assumptions on their experience. Be warmer, nicer and more curious. And don't throw in a job requirement last minute to watch a candidate squirm.

Interview Questions

• On a scale from 1-10, how comfortable are you with coding?   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Smartling (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

Quick first call with HR Director, follow up call with SVP of Operations, in-person interview at the Smartling office with SVP of Operations, Director of Account Management, and one Account Exec. Really positive experience that moved very quickly; very refreshing after I had been part of interviews that stretched for weeks! The team was super friendly and genuine.

Interview Questions

• General questions about my sales/account mgmt/international background; asked how I stayed organized when managing many difference accounts   Answer Question

Smartling Response

Jan 14, 2016 – HR Director

Glad to hear that you had a positive experience. We like to hear from our candidates and continuously improve our process.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Smartling (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I got refer from my classmate and then applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Smartling (New York, NY) in April 2015.
    Open-house interview. All the interviewees sat together, introduced to each other and answered the interview questions. Interviewers are very nice and kind. It is more like a conversation and panel. Just be yourself and keep smile. Clear know why you want to work here and contribute your passion.

Interview Questions

• Why Smartling? Why accounting? why this position? What do you expect from this position? Self introduction   Answer Question

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Smartling (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

The interview of this position is not difficult at all, people are nice and they would like know more about you. You just show what you are, and it would be fine.

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Smartling (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview process was thorough, went very smoothly, and was refreshingly transparent. There were two phone interviews, an assignment, and one final onsite interview.

The initial phone screen with HR gave me the opportunity to ask questions about Smartling as a company as well as the SDR role. From there, I had a deeper discussion with a team lead, followed by a "take home" assignment. The assignment helped me understand what could be expected in the SDR role and gave me some context to further learn about Smartling and the product offering.

The final step in the interview process was a panel interview with a few members of the team and the hiring manager, followed by a mock call. Prior to the interview, I was provided with a powerpoint presentation with more information about Smartling's products and was told to review and understand the information thoroughly. This was very valuable in my preparation as it allowed me to focus in on important information and really begin to understand what working for Smartling might be like. Following the mock call, I was briefly shown the office to get a firsthand feel for the culture. I was told I would be hearing back shortly as they were carrying other candidates through the process, and I received a references request followed by an offer a week later.

Overall, the process really gave me a good understanding of the company, the job, and the culture. The communication and transparency on Smartling's end throughout the process was very helpful, as well!