SolarFlare Communications Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 3, 2017

3.1

Senior Engineer, ASIC Verification Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SolarFlare Communications (Irvine, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Phone screen w/ VP went well and progressed to setting up a 2nd phone screen w/ manager. After both phone screens a six part in person interview was setup including a lunch break. Technical inquaries were varried and well thought out, not overly obscure but required some exposure. A request for references came three business days later and an offer was extended the following day (four days from interview).

Interview Questions

• Using constrained randomization what types of functional coverage would you expect to see on a PCIe bus?   Answer Question

SolarFlare Communications Response

Jun 1, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

We are so glad to hear your positive experience, thank you for your valuable feedback and welcome to the team, we are glad to have you!

Applications Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at SolarFlare Communications (San Diego, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I had a total of three interviews with Solarflare: first one was over the phone with one of the team's senior engineers; there was a Google Doc session at the end to test my technical ability. Second interview I met in person with the Director of Engineering to discuss the position and my background further. The third and final interview was in person where I met with the rest of the engineering team that I would be working with. Everyone was extremely friendly, helpful and interested in learning more about my technical skills and what I do outside of work.

Interview Questions

• Suppose you have 4 bolts and one of them weighs less than the other three. What is the fewest number of times you have to use the scale to find the lighter bolt?   1 Answer

Principal Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SolarFlare Communications (Irvine, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Submitted resume to LinkedIn. Got call from HR within a day. Had phone screen first from HR (lasted about half an hour). Came in for first on-site interview with VP of Engineering. Very good discussion. Asked me to describe and explain some of my previous projects. After that, called in for second on-site interview with Engineering team (Layout, CAD, Digital ASIC. Product Engineering, Analog Design (Hiring manager), and HR). Very good experience. Came away very impressed with the knowledge and professionalism of entire team! I was impressed that HR had some degree of understanding of how to improve the chances of first-pass silicon success by means of implementing design checklists (for example).

Interview Questions

• How would you design ESD for mixed-signal chip with separate grounds and supplies for analog and digital sections of chip?   Answer Question

Senior Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at SolarFlare Communications (Irvine, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was first contacted by Solarflare’s recruiter via Linkedin, and set up a couple of phone interviews. Then I was invited for an on-site interview, which had two technical interviews (one hour each). A about a month later, I had the final interview, 3 technical, 1 HR and 1 with VP.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you and HR manager meet in the elevator. What would you say (within 1 min) to convince him/her to hire you?   Answer Question

Senior Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at SolarFlare Communications (San Diego, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview that lasted about half an hour and went well. They called back for me to come in a day later, which I did. The interview took a few hours and I met the whole team. They were all quite pleasant to speak to and the questions were challenging and to the point, but not overwhelming.

Interview Questions

• A few different C programming questions.   1 Answer

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SolarFlare Communications (Irvine, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Very productive interview with Accounting Manager and Controller. Once proceeded to CFO interview, she was combative and insecure and came off as arrogant and was afraid of losing her job to interviewee.

Interview Questions

• Explain the deferred rent process and how the Leasehold Improvements tie in to the process.   1 Answer

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at SolarFlare Communications (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter initially. I then had a telephone interview with the hiring manager. This covered a lot of background stuff including a description of the company, the aims of the team I would be joining and some details about their testing methodology. The next step would have been a face to face interview however as they were assembling a team with a variety of skills I ended up being declined before that stage

Architect Interview

Interview

technical discussion with a head of software development, held individually in a small room. you should write a code on a whiteboard while he's watching that. offices are in Cambridge, rather close to city centrre

Interview Questions

• insert an element into linked list depending on a boolean function return   Answer Question

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SolarFlare Communications (New Delhi (India)) in January 2015.

Interview

average experience. just one interview, c test etc.
    Appear good at start, but does not relate to actual work required to be performed.
    It would have been better to align the interview with the actual work expectations.

Interview Questions

SolarFlare Communications Response

Apr 7, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

We are excited to have you as part of our team. Solarflare’s India team is new and expanding rapidly.

We appreciate your transparency on areas we can improve upon in the interview process. As... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SolarFlare Communications (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview consisted of 3 stages lasting approximately an hour each. It began by walking around the office building, looking at the server technologies in use etc.. I suspect a quick question here would be nice and show that the interviewer is knowledgeable on servers.

Afterwards, salary expectation was first discussed, followed by more technical issues. Data structures, NIC technology specifics etc

Be prepared for anything.