Specialty's Cafe & Bakery Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Specialty's Cafe & Bakery Interview Questions

Interviews at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery

2.3

Catering Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery.

Interview

I received an email requesting for a phone interview via email and I responded with my available days and a broad time window. I did not receive any confirmation, reschedule or cancellation. Nevertheless, I waited for the possible phone call that never came through. This is a red flag. What a great impression they make! I am very disappointed and wonder about the way they treat their employees and professionalism in the work place.

Baker Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery.

Interview

I had my interview with a manager, it was pretty simple. He mainly asked personality questions and my experience with baking. It was about 20 minutes and I was hired on the spot. I have orientation next week :)

Baker Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery (San Francisco, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

Will ask if you have any work experience as baker, from education to work experience, if no experience, will train, which would take about 2 weeks. The time frame for training begins in the morning and runs about 8 hours. Shifts are monday to friday, and sunday.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

it was quick and fast

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery.

Interview

They rarely hire managers directly, rather promote from within. I was hired as a manager directly, and here was the process that I went through;

Day one - Open interviews at a select location. I sat down with HR, and had a great discussion with them about my values, skills, experience, and random personal achievements. I was told that I was a great candidate, and they would get back to me ASAP.

Day 5 - Heard nothing back. I called HR, and left a voicemail.

Day 10 - Heard nothing back, I sent one last email to HR.

Day 15 - I received a email stating they had unfortunate situations happen, which is why they could not respond, but they were still interested.

Day 30 - I had given up at this point, I get a call saying that I am hired.

Summary, one interview and a month of waiting.

The paperwork was straight forward, the same as any restaurant. 20 pages of "read and sign", confidentiality agreements, exc.

Interview Questions

• There were no unexpected or difficult questions. It was all normal things for the restaurant industry.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I applied for a general manager position, but I was offered an opening manager role. I accepted because I was excited to be in what I thought was a great company and my goal was to work my way up which I did.

They offered me salary "X", and I counter offered 30% higher. They accepted the counter offer with no qualms.

Guest Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery (Irvine, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Friend recommended I apply. I went on Craigslist and found the posting and applied online. I was then called in for an interview.

Guest Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery (San Diego, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Six days after I submitted my application and resume I received a call to come in for an interview the following day. This was the easiest of three interviews, yes, THREE interviews. Then the first manager told me the second manager would call me later that day and schedule an interview. He didn't call, I assumed they were busy and gave them the weekend to get a hold of me. Monday I went in and asked for the manager I was supposed to hear from, he said he called and left a voicemail about setting up an interview for that day, but he called the wrong number. If they say you will hear back from them, reach out to them. Then I went in on Wednesday, now 2 weeks after my initial application, and had an interview with the second manager, his interview was the hardest and he asked me a bunch of "what would you do in the following scenario" questions. Then finally! I was interviewed right after by the head manager and extended a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Many "what would you do in the following situation" questions
      What kind of paperwork are you used to doing at past jobs? (Inventory, cleaning lists, drawer balancing etc"
      Describe a past encounter with an angry/dissatisfied customer and tell me how you turned the situation around.
      Describe yourself in 5 words
      Are you wiling to be cross trained in different sections of the store? Saying no will almost definitely make you lose a job offer.
      They will ask you what you want your pay to be, don't be ridiculous or they will not offer you a job.
      Why do you want to work for Specialties? I got asked this by each manager, sigh.
      Thoroughly convince them you want the job for the environment and the company, not the pay.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery in December 2013.

Interview

I had 2 interviews when I was hired for this position. The first interview were basic questions for a job applicant like "Tell me about yourself", and the GM have seen my experience and credentials were matching his standards and what he is looking for a potential hire. He was very positive about it too because he said I might get hired. Then came on the second interview -- to make sure he is making a good decision to hire me. Although since I had managerial experience and worked in the food and beverage industry for a long time. I was open to work on Guest Service Rep position -- it was fine by me but the pay is much more higher than the one I had before.

Interview Questions

• There were 3 questions on the second interview on how I would deal with employees and managers. As soon as I answered these questions, he actually agreed but he also gave me how this company works. And I totally agreed on it too -- yet it was an effective and different approach. After the interview, I got hired after that. These are 3 situational questions on dealing with different employees, working as a team in a store, and how would you deal if an issue was brought up and how would you deal with it.   1 Answer

Kitchen Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery (Redwood City, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

I applied online for Specialtys Cafe and Bakery. After about 4 weeks I received a call saying I had an interview. When I got to the store for the interview I was told to take a seat and the kitchen lead would be right out. When she came out she asked me numerous questions about my background experiance and why I wanted to work for this company. She was very short with me and seemed a little rude. It was also very hard for me to understand what she was saying to me. After she went back to the kitchen, the manager came and asked me questions. She was very nice and informative about the job. I was then given a skills test that I had to complete. After I was told I would be called within the next couple days.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to work in a team environment before?   1 Answer

I chose to decline the offer because of how the kitchen manager acted. Even though the store manger was very pleasant and I would have been very happy working for her, I knew that most of my communication would be with the kitchen manager. She just didnt seem that happy interviewing me. She made me feel like I wasnt worth her time. As I had another job offer, I didnt want to turn that one down and work for a manager that treated me like that just on the interview. Who knew what it would be like every day.

Finance Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

3 Person interview simple questions. A few technical questions and culture fit questions. Questions around typing speed and excel. Was I familiar with specific accounting software. Company use Sage as accounting soft ware. A few payroll questions and tax related scenarios.

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery (Irvine, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I found out about the job through an ad on craigslist. Was called in for an interview a couple days later. The manager was very nice and informative. We had a seat in the café and talked and I was hired that day after a comfortable 15 minute interview I would say.