TDS Telecommunications Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 7, 2017

2.9

Customer Repair Interview

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TDS Telecommunications (Knoxville, TN) in April 2017.

Interview

Very standard, run of the mill interview. I didn't have an in person interview, I had two phone interviews. They didn't ask any really tricky questions. Just your standard "why do you want to work for us?" and "why should we chose you?"

Java Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at TDS Telecommunications (Madison, WI) in March 2017.

Interview

The format was 30 minutes with three technical team members then 30 minutes with some managers (2 in my case). Tech team had me rate myself from 1 to 10 on a list of skills then they had sheets of questions to ask about depending how I rated myself. For me they choose Linux, Java, and SQL.

After that they left the room to talk to managers. Things seemed to be on a tight schedule. They didn’t ask about my background much. Then they sent in the managers for basic HR questions.

The management part was kind of weird for me. I weaved in a narrative for each of my top qualities like you do—then when I was done one of the managers asked me to repeat the three qualities again without the narrative. I said that sure like one word to sum them up. He said, “No, doesn’t have to be one word. I just want to know if you remember what you said.”. So rude! I would decline a position working with him.

Everything seemed a little rushed like they had specific questions they needed to check off a list. Not much time for me to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Linux:
          Connect to a server remotely
          List directory
          Copy a file to a remote server
          Access a remote file
          Search a file
          Output file contents to console
          What are environment variables
          Why might you get an access denied error when accessing files or running a command

Java:
          Explain Object orientation
          Explain polymorphism
          Explain interfaces
          How to compare strings
          Why is == the wrong way to do it
          Difference between override and overload
          Collection types
          What does static mean
          Explain try catch
          Design patterns
          RESTful Services
          Concatenation
          Name the primitive data types

SQL:
          Select everything from a table
          Insert
          Update
          Where clause for deleting
          Inner join example
          How is an outer join different

Managers:
          What classes are you taking
          What do you expect to be taking / expected graduation
          What sort of hours are you available for. They wanted to confirm that I had that same availability for Summer and Fall
          Top 3 qualities your last employer would say about you
          One bad quality your last employer would say about you
          Why do you want to work here?
          Biggest achievement
          A time you went above and beyond to get something done
          Process for working through a problem
          Why you over another candidate   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TDS Telecommunications in March 2017.

Interview

Unprofessional. Initially had a phone screen from an HR representative in Madison, WI. Interviewer was quite mundane and interview questions were quite standard. Called me back in a week to schedule a face to face interview with the hiring manager. Met the hiring manager at the local TDS market office that I would be supporting. Same interview questions I was asked by the phone screener. Really? No need to answer them any differently. Hiring manager said he had to ask these questions, almost as if he didn't believe in the process. I then asked questions for about 45 minutes and we left on good terms. He said I would hear back from them sometime the following week. Gave the appearance as if they were going to make me an offer as he went into specific market detail about what I would be doing for my first 90 days. He did warn me that most of my days would consist of dealing with unhappy customers and putting fires out. I sent a thank you for interview and then followed up with him for an update after I heard nothing the following week. "Say what you mean and mean what you say". Followed up with the HR representative with both a voice mail and an e-mail. Still nothing. How unprofessional. Says a lot about a company's culture and how they treat both internal and external customers. Remember folks, you represent your employer; you are the faces of your employer's brand. When you are personally unprofessional, it reflects poorly on your employer and your employer's brand.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you dislike and like about your current job?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time that you had an unhappy customer and how you dealt with the problem?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about how you typically go about organizing your work day schedule?   Answer Question

TDS Telecommunications Response

Apr 17, 2017 – Manager - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback. TDS is committed to providing a positive candidate experience. We pride ourselves on being a large company, with a small company feel. We do our best to follow up with... More

Data Analytics Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TDS Telecommunications in November 2016.

Interview

30 minute phone interview with a technical recruiter followed by a in person interview. The in person interview was more of a conversation about technologies used. The phone interview was definitely the more challenging part of the process.

Inbound Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at TDS Telecommunications (Knoxville, TN) in October 2016.

Interview

Interview was fairly easy. First it was a phone interview from a lady in Madison, WI. Then I had a scheduled interview with the hiring manager in Knoxville, TN. The in-person interview consisted of similar questions to the phone interview and then a small computer test along with a mock telephone call. I then was contacted within a day and offered the job. After that I had a background and drug test and soon I will be headed out to Madison, WI for training. Benefits and vacation time from day one along with competitive pay, count me in!

Interview Questions

• Name an example of when you were faced with an obstacle dealing with a customer. How did you overcome the obstacle?   Answer Question

Sales Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at TDS Telecommunications (Madison, WI) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online. After about two weeks I received an email with prescreen questions, which apparently replaced a phone interview. Three weeks after the prescreen I came in for an interview. One on one interview began with 30 minute Excel 'test', which was not mentioned beforehand. The result of test was reviewed with the interviewer and I was able to explain my answers. This was followed by a basic interview. It was expressed that regardless of decision going forward, I would be contacted on my status with a couple weeks. Currently it has been over two months since the interview, and even after a 'thank you' and 'follow up' email, no contact has been made. Position is still posted online, but I have continued on elsewhere.

Associate Manager -Public Relations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TDS Telecommunications (Madison, WI) in July 2016.

Interview

Spelling and writing exam, one phone interview, two face-to-face interviews and a drug test. The first in-person interview was with a co-worker and a supervisor. The second in-person interview was with a co-workers, supervisor and a vice president.

Interview Questions

• Provide us an example of how you would build relationships with the media and co-workers in this position.   Answer Question

Tax Accountant Interview

Interview

Enjoyable interview process, very laid back. Started off with a HR screen over the phone, a 1-on-1 video conference, then a super day. The interviews were all mostly fit questions, and they just want to see if you mesh well with the team. Everyone is very open and welcoming and genuinely want to know you.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TDS Telecommunications.

Interview

Interview was fairly laid back. Consisted of an initial phone interview with HR from their HQ in Madison, Wisconsin. In person interview was next but seemed very informal. Lunch was arranged with two senior reps and then I was hired.

Financial Reporting Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TDS Telecommunications (Madison, WI) in December 2015.

Interview

Initial phone screen, hiring manager phone interview, and then 4 hours of group interviews that included a one hour financial analysis "test" that you had to speak to afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Tell me whether or not you would acquire company X based on the financial statements, etc. that were provided.   1 Answer