The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1.9

Sort:

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Quick. Hired and boarded in two weeks. First interview with the DM with the RDM in person. Casual interview to get to know you as a person then as a manager. This is the restaurant industry that pushes for customer service, so they need to know if you can handle the stress of both. After the interview was walked over to home office for further paperwork, was I just offered a position? Try to low ball you at first, don't let them.

Interview Questions

• What is your management style?   1 Answer

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2008.

Interview

Interviewed with HR, District Manager and Regional Director. All very nice, all very helpful, and made the process painless.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Able to negotiate, but it was not easy.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.

Interview

Applied online and got called back about 2 weeks later. Set up an interview over the phone and had an interview there at the store, with customers around during rush hour. It was a difficult interview about an hour long. Hardly any customer oriented questions (I can't even think of one actually) mostly what would you do in this situation questions. A LOT of questions about handling money, bringing in money, getting other employees motivated to bring more money to the store, that sort of stuff. I answered them all but man did I sweat it. Told me they didn't really like that I was coming from a small business (them why waste my time having me go to the interview at all). Then they said they would call me the next day to set up the second interview with a district manager I believe, never got the call.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seal Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (Seal Beach, CA).

Interview

Applied on line got a phone call to come in for an interview. was hired a week later

Anonymous Employee in Manhattan Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (Manhattan Beach, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

I walked into a hiring fair with a resume. I waited about 20 minutes. The initial interview itself last less than 15. Then there was a call back a few days later with the acting Store Manager. Then a 2nd one with the outgoing Store Manager (maternity leave) a few days after that. Then I got a call saying I'd been hired on condition of a possible discretionary 4th interview (this is for a coffee shop folks) with the District Manager. Then I didn't hear anything for several weeks. Eventually I heard the District Manager was too busy to see me but they'd like to hire me anyway. I finally started filing out the new hire paperwork six weeks after I first walked into their job fair.

Interview Questions

• All pretty standard stuff: What's your leadership style, how do you deal in fast-paced environments, why do you think you'd be a good fit here...

The one unexpected part was when the person doing the interviewing started to complain about some of the other Shift Supervisors & team members, and how hopefully I'd be different. This struck me as extremely unprofessional & caught me off guard that she would speak this way to anyone she just met a few minutes ago, much less in a job interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered me $10, and I asked for $13/ hr. Initially the Manager agreed but called later and said her District Manager said that wouldn't be possible. We settled on $11.

Shift Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf in June 2013.

Interview

Open interviews move quickly, be prepared with resume, many typical interview questions I.e where do you see yourself in X years? Difficult customer stories, and what does customer service means to you.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a customer who has received an incorrect drink and is in a rush during your morning rush? they are upset and needs to leave the store now.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (Ventura, CA) in January 2009.

Interview

Received a call a few weeks after posting my resume on monster.com. Got offered to come in for an interview for the shift supervisor position. Went in for the interview and spoke to the store manager, she was very nice and said she liked me so she would schedule me to return to interview with the district manager. Went in for interview, it went well & received a call later that day to come in & sign paperwork for the position.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a lot about what exactly it was that I did in my previous job (assistant manager). I was also asked to give examples of certain situations & how I handled them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered $10.50 on the spot which was great for me. Didn't feel the need to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed by 4 different managers in a team type environment, in the basement of one of the stores. The AC wasn't working, but the people seemed alright. I was asked to hand write an application, even though I submitted one electronically.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a team player?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in La Palma, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (La Palma, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

It was very rushed with basic questions. The first was very short (less than 5 minutes) and the GM seemed distracted. The second interview was stolen by another store manager, who seemed desperate to get anyone in his store.

Interview Questions

• Tell us why we should choose you for this position   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (Fontana, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

The interview process was simple it was a discussion on what prior experience I had as a supervisor at previous employment. Then a negotiation of pay was then discussed, sadly my previous experience as a shift supervisor had little weight in negotiating a higher starting pay rate.

Interview Questions

• What skills have I acquired during my years as a supervisor can I bring to the team and company.
      Describe a time when I have had to use my problem solving skills and managerial experience to sort through issues of the day.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate for higher pay due to my experience as a shift supervisor at other customer services employment I have had relative to the line of work at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.