The Container Store Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Container Store Interview Questions

Updated Nov 14, 2017

2.5

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Applied online, received an email a few days later for a phone interview. Excepted the phone interview and thought everything went well. Three days later I received an email that they decided to pursue other candidates.

Sales Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Container Store (Irving, TX).

Interview

two interviews. first with 2 associates, that i found out later, were not part of the department that i was applying for. They said they would make a decision the following week. two weeks later I had an interview with the department supervisor. She gave me a very different job description. explained that the position could not guarantee two days off every week in a row, you might have scattered days off. Weekends were mandatory. Finally She explained that the earliest they would fill the position would be in 6-8 weeks!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for this company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Container Store (Natick, MA).

Interview

Applied online, interviewed by phone and in person. I have many years’ of similar retail experience and felt it would be a great fit. I’m also fully available to work anytime including nights and weekends. The manager explained she was looking for an additional 20 people. The interview was very informative and I thought all went very well. I was very excited about the opportunity.

Two days later she emailed with a generic “we’re not offering you the position”.

No other feedback. I know large companies don’t like to comment. But I was blown away by their response considering my experience and background.

I have a PERSONAL opinion on this but I myself won’t comment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Friendswood, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Container Store (Friendswood, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

The job listing on Glassdoor states Sales Associate, even when they are hiring for Seasonal only. I completed the first online application. I received an email to complete a more detailed online application, which I did right away. A few days later, I received an email asking me to accept a time for a phone interview. I replied and accepted. I waited the full 30 minutes and no one called at the scheduled time. I sent an email stating that I had been ready and waiting.

Three hours late, someone finally called and apologized. I did the interview and we set up an in-store interview a couple days later. I was early. I waited and the manager came out 15 minutes late.

I really loved this store and was quite disappointed to not receive an offer. I have shopped there several times and no one ever approached me to show me or sell me anything. I am not afraid to approach customers and would have enjoyed showing them products to meet their needs and to especially show them the closet solutions. I am also very good at getting sign ups for perks programs. Though one of the managers told me about these things, I was never asked if I could do them or how. Since I do not see these things happening in this store perhaps this is not what they are really wanting.

Though I am in excellent shape, am strong and can work quickly, I am older than the employees I see working in the store. I never know if that is a factor. I would think I am well in the demographic for customers, being that I was one.

It was also disappointing to not get the employee discount. I had plans for a lot of shopping. Now I can't say I will remain a customer.

Not being called for the phone interview indicates a possible lack of concern for employees. That was a big red flag for me.

The hourly rate I asked for was about mid-range according to Glassdoor. The Manager stated a rate $1 - $3 below that. I would have taken an offer for less than I asked.

Overall, I have to say my interview process was very disappointing as compared to the company's high foundation principles. I agree with another review who stated that the questions asked have nothing to do with your experience or ability to do the job. I had the feeling they were just going through the motions with me, barely.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. What was your favorite job? What was a time you went above and beyond for a customer? What was a great retail shopping experience you had?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Container Store (Houston, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Asked simple behavioral questions at first and then switched over to questions about scheduling. The process was very relaxed. After submitting my initial application it took the company about 7 days to contact me. Went in for interview a few days later. The next day they asked me to fill out more paperwork and then called me in for the next interview.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you had multiple pressing issues.
      Do you have prior sales experiences?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

The man that interviewed me over the phone was very kind but seemed to be in a bit of a hurry. I have past experience as a cashier but yet still did not get to move to the next stage which would be a group interview. It also didn't seem that the interviewer ask me questions that would actually help me get the job.

Interview Questions

• what kind of things do you like to do in your free time   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Container Store (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

fun, honest, direct to the point, expectation. i was decline for initial screening online from my email but I reply back and in our great conversation thru phone they decide to give me a chance for personal interview and i made it.

Interview Questions

• previous experience, why you choose the company, tell me about your self.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Container Store.

Interview

Very VERY long. I met with several different managers and leaders who asked somewhat challenging questions. It was not at the store, because it was still in the process of being built.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time questions. Also questions regarding your leaderships skills. To my surprise there were no, "Sell me this item" questions.   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Container Store.

Interview

Got called in for a group interview that didn't turn out to be a group interview due to some "glitches" they had with their new hiring system. So it turned out to be a 1 on 1 with NO videos being shown. Interview had standard questions. I was then told that I would be discussed with the sales manager. 35 minutes later, I got a call and an email asking me to come back the next day for a 2nd interview with said sales manager. Both days, I left my full time job early.
    I met with the sales manager. Asked me if I had seen the video, which I told her no. Then asked me to fill out an availability form. Interview and discussions ensued. Everything went well and I was told I'd be notified at the end of the week.
    Monday I sent an email asking what the status was, and 20 mins later I get a typical generated denial email saying that "I wasn't a right fit" and "better candidates" etc etc. I replied and asked for a better explanation to which I got yet another generated response.
    It was very misleading and a complete waste of my time. I don't know exactly what this company is looking for but I'm apparently "not a right fit", whatever that means.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Container Store (Paramus, NJ) in July 2017.

Interview

Great experience. Group interview. Then two individual interviews. Super nice people. Went very well and they made you feel relaxed. I enjoyed the process. It is hard to actually get a job at this company, so I was pleased to get the interview.