The Container Store Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Container Store Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2017

2.5

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Container Store.

Interview

Very VERY long. I met with several different managers and leaders who asked somewhat challenging questions. It was not at the store, because it was still in the process of being built.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time questions. Also questions regarding your leaderships skills. To my surprise there were no, "Sell me this item" questions.   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Container Store.

Interview

Got called in for a group interview that didn't turn out to be a group interview due to some "glitches" they had with their new hiring system. So it turned out to be a 1 on 1 with NO videos being shown. Interview had standard questions. I was then told that I would be discussed with the sales manager. 35 minutes later, I got a call and an email asking me to come back the next day for a 2nd interview with said sales manager. Both days, I left my full time job early.
    I met with the sales manager. Asked me if I had seen the video, which I told her no. Then asked me to fill out an availability form. Interview and discussions ensued. Everything went well and I was told I'd be notified at the end of the week.
    Monday I sent an email asking what the status was, and 20 mins later I get a typical generated denial email saying that "I wasn't a right fit" and "better candidates" etc etc. I replied and asked for a better explanation to which I got yet another generated response.
    It was very misleading and a complete waste of my time. I don't know exactly what this company is looking for but I'm apparently "not a right fit", whatever that means.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Container Store (Paramus, NJ) in July 2017.

Interview

Great experience. Group interview. Then two individual interviews. Super nice people. Went very well and they made you feel relaxed. I enjoyed the process. It is hard to actually get a job at this company, so I was pleased to get the interview.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at The Container Store (Fort Worth, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

Interviewer seemed apathetic to process so felt like a decision was made before we even began. Pleasant experience with the group just felt like they were looking for certain and narrow personality type

Store Manager - Visual Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Container Store (Schaumburg, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

I was called in for a group interview to learn more about the positions available and speak to a hiring manager. We were set up in the middle of the sales floor in rolling chairs facing each other. We were made to watch two videos. One was to explain their "man in the desert" selling philosophy and the other showed how trucks are unloaded and merchandise was stocked. The manager asked us for input on how we felt about what we saw and just kept saying "seems like you hit on all the points" while reading from a packet the entire time. After the videos we were asked to discuss our "homework" and there were almost no questions asked. We were then asked to fill out an availability sheet and asked to turn them in, told we would be contacted within a week for next steps, and then we were sent on our way. I received an email 4 days later stating that they had "chosen candidates that were a better fit for the position", except I didn't interview for a position. This whole thing felt like a checkbox that the store management team had been directed to complete by corporate management. I was offended and felt like they wasted my time and demeaned the entire group by putting them on the sales floor in front of customers and showed them remedial videos and ignored their feedback.

Interview Questions

• No questions were asked, other than "any comments about what you saw?"   Answer Question

Prime Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Container Store (Schaumburg, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a really easy process that I enjoyed. Everything they do is well organized and hassle free, which made the whole hiring process a breeze. They like to use email and phone calls, so I got an email first with instructions on what I should do or bring before the interview. My interview was with a small group, we had a few ice breaker questions, and then went through reasons why this store would be right for us to work at. The interviewer was very nice and I enjoyed working with him.

Register Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Container Store (New York, NY).

Interview

Group Interview with 4 others, waited a few months to hear if I was hired - they were interviewing for potential future employees, but didn't have an immediate need to fill.

Interview Questions

• To present a space I would redesign, including pictures.   Answer Question

Enterprise Reporting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

I could not apply online, as the position was already closed. I dropped off my resume and was very impressed that the recruiter actually contacted my via email to let me know they had received the resume. Although the position was closed, they appreciated my interest. They didn't have to take time out to do that, so it speaks a lot about the company.

Visual Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Container Store (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Owing to the fact that it was for the post-Thanksgiving rush, the interview process was pretty streamlined. I submitted my application online and had to wait about a week to hear back.

First, I had a phone screening with one of the store managers. At the end of the conversation, she asked me to come in and watch a round of merchandise processing.

I shadowed for about an hour at 6am, after which the sales floor leader asked me about what I observed, as well as some questions about work availability.

A few days later, I was offered the job over the phone.

Interview Questions

• One question I remember was to name a memorable experience I had shopping at a retail outlet.   Answer Question

Lead Visual/Sales Merchandiser- Full Time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Container Store (New York, NY).

Interview

I filled out an application online. A few days later I received and email from the GM and we set up a one on one face to face interview. The interview was about an hour long and it was very pleasant and professional. That day she set me up with an interview with the Visual Sales Manager at a later date. She also wanted me to write an essay on what leadership meant to me and email her by a certain date.The second interview I was asked the same questions but was given a tour of the store and watched a short video. The manager said they would call me back for a third interview with the area manager. I met with the area manager for an interview that lasted a little over an hour. This was my most favorite because I really got to show who I was and what I could bring to the table from past work experience. She said the fourth interview would be with the district manager through Skype and they would call with details in a couple of days. A whole week went by and I got a call saying I didn't get the job. I was bummed!! I don't know how many more interviews would have come after no. 4.