The Container Store Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
The Container Store CEO Melissa Reiff
Melissa Reiff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Benefits even when you are a part time employee (in 81 reviews)

• Great people that work there that really go the extra mile to help customers look out for other employees (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Part Time with limited Full Time positions (in 118 reviews)

• Most positions part-time with little chance to grow (in 91 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Coppell, TX
    Current Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Coppell, TX

I have been working at The Container Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work in IS with a lot of really smart people. We all love what we go to provide our customers with the best experiences.

Cons

I haven't encountered any cons yet. There are the usual on-call and production support experiences.

Advice to Management

I'm very impressed with the company, great job!

2. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Container Store (More than 3 years)

Pros

After 13 years in retail I was recruited to The Container Store when they opened a store in my area. I have been there 3 years and believe me what they say about TCS is true. It's not perfect but as someone who has worked for 5 other retail companies, some great, some awful.... TCS is the heaven of retail. Change is inevitable at any company to stay relevant, TCS has made many changes over the last several years and some have struggled with that but I don't believe that the company has lost its luster at all. I am grateful to work for a company that continues to care about it's employees, vendors and customers enough to make the necessary changes to sustain themselves when so many retailers are struggling.

Cons

Of course I could nitpick but I won't. I believe in assumption of right and I trust that the leadership in this company is doing everything it can in the best interest of every employee that works at TCS. This is not something I have been able to say about many of the companies I have worked for in my past.

"Good Hard Work - okay pay"

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Container Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great exercise. Good for someone who needs or wants a second job because you can take the 5am-11am merchandising truck shift. Happy people to work with. Good communication from management.

Cons

Physical work is hard on the body. Not easy to get time off if the schedule has already posted (management knows the schedule before staff does and they consider them seeing the posting as "I posted it 3 weeks ago" even if it just showed up on the schedule today)

Advice to Management

Encourage employees to spend time with customers. The working motto has changed over the years to now be "work harder, faster" which means we don't often give our customers our undivided attention.

More staff is needed. If payroll could increase, you'd get more help from "great" not just good people.

"Going public ruined the culture"

I worked at The Container Store full-time

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Culture has gone downhill since going public. Execs are looking at stock price instead of employee first culture it used to be. Continued to open more stores even though company was losing money. Initial bump doesn't justify increased cost.

Advice to Management

Stop chasing the stock price. Go back to what got you here. Stop opening stores, the initial bump doesn't justify increased cost of business.

"Employee First culture"

Former Employee - Store Manager Training in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager Training in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Container Store full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good medical benefits. Great employee discount. Your first year you get great training. The employees are friendly and they hire the best.

Cons

Some managers play favorites and therefore great employees are over looked for opportunities. The company has moved away from Employee First culture.

Advice to Management

This company supports an Employee First work environment. This statement was true in 2014. Since the company went public this culture has gone by the wayside.

"Don’t work part time"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Container Store part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great employees to work with! I’ve stuck around longer than I should for the people. However, the last few years the company has changed and good people are quitting and replacements are not great at all.

Cons

Management has lost touch with its workers, especially part time workers; most of us work too hard for too little pay.
     Budget cuts have limited hours but management still demands full time availability making it hard to work elsewhere.
    Stores are managed top-down by the numbers and pencil pushers which makes for bad shopping experience. Many customers are upset at lack of sales associates, product on shelves, and disorganization within store.
    The company has invested too much money in fancy technology that doesn’t often work instead of utilizing more workers that can get job done properly.
    Replacement work force and new managers aren’t properly trained which creates an inhospitable work environment.

Advice to Management

GET BACK TO YOUR ROOTS!!! Care about your workers again. Lift your head up off the numbers page and goal expectations and look around; workers are unhappy, customers are upset.
    Pay your people decently; part time now makes $10.50/hr vs the $12/hr I got when I started working over 5+ years ago (How did it go down instead of up???)

You cannot tote yourself as one of the best companies to work for when you have workers quitting faster than you hire them. It’s no longer an “Employee First” culture, it’s become about corporation and profit; just watch the stock ticker.....

"Best company in worst industry"

I worked at The Container Store full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At the store level, great communication. Solid pay for a cruddy work environment. Great job for staying fit.

Cons

Horrible communication at any level above store. The company prides itself on communication being leadership. The company over communicates mundane fluff and under communicates vital information in a timely manner. Though the pay is good, they will squeeze every ounce of life out of you. Schedules are a nightmare. Expect to have a consistent schedule never. Every campagin cycle will require you to work graveyard shifts over the course of a week, destroying your ability to get decent sleep. You will be on your feet 95% of the time, up ladders, moving product, loading customer's cars. The kool-aid drinking is strong with this company. IF, big IF, the company actually walked the talk about their foundation principles like they use to over a decade ago, the culture would be A+. But in todays age of Amazon, TCS can not afford to walk their talk. And as we all know, talk is cheap.

Advice to Management

Stop holding on to the past. Come up with a new set of meaningful foundation principles that corresponds with a publicly traded company. I would rather work for a comoany that was honest about making money first and everything else second than a company that pretends everything is rainbows and butterflies and then turns around and fires a group of people, only to turn around and hire a bunch of contractors. Also, for the love of all that is sensible, get rid of Kronos. I know you all got sucker into some bazillion dollar contract with that garbage company that promised you countless hours of payroll by just clicking a button, but come on, that program treats employees like we are robots with no lives. Your employees are flesh and blood people with familes, hobbies, interests, desires, hopes, dreams, and yes, lives. We have lives outside of work. We do not sit around the phone or email, waiting for a message asking if we can come in. I know it is hard to see that up in the ivory tower, but give it a try. Try coming down once in a while amongst the common folk. Try talking to the prime timers that arent going to sugar coat it. The store managers and most of the full timers arent gonna tell you straight because they are so scared of losing their jobs. Also, TCS closets, big miss. Please, please, please, stop focusing on something that does not make you money and focus on something that does. Elfa. Elfa... Elfa. Elfa should be our bread and butter. We have full control over Elfa. Elfa is an amazing product. That is where all the resources should be. How many people can pay for and benefit from Elfa, literally anywhere in their home? Every person that has a heart beat and a modest source of income. How many people can afford a 10-20k fancy closet? A fraction of a percent of the people that could and would buy elfa. You can try and chase those whales all day, or you can focus on the fish swimming at your feet.

8. "Still a good company, but not what it was"

I have been working at The Container Store full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fairly laid-back culture, generally friendly coworkers

Cons

Going public has changed the culture, but it's still better than most. Senior Management is a mixed bag

Advice to Management

Acknowledge that going public has changed our culture

"Getting further away from foundation principles"

Current Employee - Full Time Sales
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales

I have been working at The Container Store full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have met truly inspirational and like minded people here.

Cons

Full time has become very difficult. Our Foundation Principle of 1=3 is more like 1=5. Never enough staffing and lots of comments from customers about lack of service. With the introduction of TCS Closets, we seem to be struggling with lack of time to really address customers that wish to make a sizable purchase of $20,000 or more. Man in the desert selling is non existent, more like point and hope the customer finds it. Full time staff handles most of the customer complaints. Really nothing like the company I signed on with 13 years ago. To the complaint that full time staff just hangs out in the back or stands around talking I can assure you we are working on a TCS Closet, a customer complaint or trying to fix holes in the schedule. In my store Full Time staff work very hard.

Advice to Management

Drop the platitudes about communication and employee first culture. We are becoming just another big box retailer with difficult payroll expectations, not enough staff frustrating days of customer complaints. Please remember, "we do sell the hard stuff" and with out enough people on the floor, lots of customer just walk out.

10. "Excellent!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Northbrook, IL

I worked at The Container Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Well trained management who treat staff respectfully. A great retail job.

Cons

Must be able to do heavy lifting.