Tractor Supply Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 14, 2018

2.5

Corporate Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentwood, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Tractor Supply (Brentwood, TN).

Interview

1 phone interview. 1 onsite interview one day. 2 onsite interviews on another day

I liked everyone I interviewed with. They all seemed nice and stressed company culture. I really really want the job. I haven't heard back even though they interviewed me 2 months ago. I call once a week for an update. There's still no decision. Overall it's been a negative experience because I really want the job but they never make up their minds as to whether or not they will hire anyone. Overall I recommend interviewing for this company but don't expect a reply back... ever. Can't seem to make up their minds. I wish they wouldn't get my hopes up.

Interview Questions

• tell me about yourself, what are your career goals, why tractor supply, have you ever visited a store before etc.   Answer Question

Part Time Employee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Flanders, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Tractor Supply (Flanders, NJ) in October 2015.

Interview

Felt nervous, but started to get comfortable, my boss got to know a little bit about me, they were very friendly and reassuring. They seemed really caring and liked my motivation and determination. Went in a few times for one on one meetings and was explained what my job would look like. Very simple and a very personable process.

Interview Questions

• There were a couple questions about real life situations that connected to how they would be handled at work.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anniston, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tractor Supply (Anniston, AL) in June 2011.

Interview

Applied online got a call 2 weeks later to schedule interview for that day. Interview was about an hour and was straightforward with what they wanted and expected. Asked questions in regards to experience and skills. Discussed pay and work schedule. Told me he liked me and next step was interview with dm in the mean time he would call my references and let me know asap.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to deal with an angry customer? What did you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lockport, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Tractor Supply (Lockport, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Interviewed by a panel of 4. All stone faced. Stressful from the start. Asked a series of routine questions, eg: Your greatest accomplishment, etc. and some bizarre questions like, how would you handle an employee that didn't talk much, and what would people say about you at your funeral.
    Two of the panel members said nothing and took notes throughout the 45 minute interview.
    I was not offered the position, and frankly, I'm relieved.

Interview Questions

• What would people say about you at your funeral?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tractor Supply (Wichita, KS) in August 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with store manager after submitting online application and resume. This was about two days after submitting application. Took about half an hour. Store manager approved and passed me along to the District manager. Interviewed about 5 days later. District manager did a store walk interview. Lasted about an hour and a half. Questions were varied from personal to store to company. A big portion of hte interview was explaining how I could improve issues in the store.

Interview Questions

• The store manager asked about former experience. Asked me about P&L statements. General management questions. The district manager discussed problems with current location and asked me questions about how to correct them.   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tractor Supply in August 2009.

Interview

Walked into local store and found assistant manager was resigning in 2 weeks. Filled out application and left it with store manager. Was called for interview 1 week later. Interviewed by store manager using structured interview packet. Standard questions re work experience, previous management positions, responsibilities, etc. Questions related to finacials, people, customer service, problem solving, etc. Store manager called a few days later to set up interview with District Manager. More detailed interview with DM. Discussed details of previous employment. Why I wanted to work for company? Future plans...
    DM called 1 week later to set up interview with Regional Manager who conducted phone interview. RM asked same questions and was very non committal. Store manager called 1 week later and offerred me the job. Initial offer was insulting but finally came up to an accepable rate of pay after he talked to the DM. I took a sustantial cut in pay even then but was looking for the better hours and working conditions this job affords.

Interview Questions

• You are called to the register to find an angry customer demanding to speak to a manager about an item she is trying to return. She has no receipt but says she purchased the item a few days earlier and now wants to return it for a cash refund. The cashier has already explained that cash refunds can only be made with original receipt within 30 days of purchase. The item costs $9.50. What would you do? Why?   1 Answer
    • What is the single most controllable expense on the P&L?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No room for negotiation above established pay range. Pay scale is average to slightly below average for this area. I am nearing retirement and am financially secure. Money is not my primary motivation. Hours are favorable to family.

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tractor Supply in October 2008.

Interview

Standardized questions. Had to go through several interviews, including the district manager

Interview Questions

• If you could improve 1 thing about yourself at work, what would that be, and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ukiah, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tractor Supply (Ukiah, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

I was probably interviewed four,or five times. You will be asked many of the same questions time and time again. You will meet with the store manager, other Assistant Managers, and the District Manager. I was also asked if I was willing to do a discreet walk through ant my former place of employment with the SM, and DM. I was willing, but it never happened. I thought this was odd? Be prepared!

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me how to assemble these Lawn Tractors?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clio, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tractor Supply (Clio, MI) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online, received a phone call from store manager requesting an interview. Interview process consisted of questions pertaining to work history, company history, and familiarity with Profit and Loss reports. I was told I would be notified in a week if moving onto the next step, interview with DM.

Interview Questions

• How do you make a co-worker feel special?
      What percentage of your Profit and Loss is attributed to labor?
      Describe a time when you used Profit and Loss to solve a problem.
      Describe a time when you handled a disgruntled customer.
      What do you know about Tractor Supply?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tractor Supply in April 2014.

Interview

Very detailed interview process. They live by their motto "Interview hard, manage easy!". Entire process consisted of 5 total interviews, first you are screened by a recruiter, then passed down to a SM for the initial phone interview, which is really just a meet and greet to set up the first in person interview. The first interview is where the meat and potatoes start to show, they'll ask you about your qualifications, experience, and then a series of scenario questions. After that, was sent to another SM for a less formal session, but be prepared for more scenario/role playing questions. If you make it through all that, you'll sit with an area manager for more experience related questions. Finally, a phone interview from another DM which was basically just a recap of the others.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate others?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.