Wolverine Trading Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Wolverine Trading Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2018

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Wolverine Trading in September 2014.

Interview

On campus interview after career fair. Had me insert into a singly linked list. Was very casual and laid back. 30 minutes. Had a very minor discussion beforehand about where I wanted to be later down the road, but nothing too behavioral.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wolverine Trading.

Interview

Met them at a campus career fair, got an interview the next day. The interview was a simple written c++ coding exercise, with time leftover for questions. The man I interviewed with was very nice, giving me time to adjust my answer if he saw anything wrong. I then had an onsite interview. It had a coding exercise plus some technical interviews.

Interview Questions

• One of the interviews had some in depth data structures questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Wolverine Trading.

Interview

Applied online. Got a 30 minute phone interview with some basic hr type questions and an easy coding exercise. Within hours I got an invite to Chicago. In Chicago there were I believe 4 different parts to the interview process, each about 45 minutes long. Basically everything asked were coding related and generally they would ask you to write a function or describe how you would algorithmically tackle the problem.

Interview Questions

• One of the simpler questions asked: Insert a node into a singly linked list.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Wolverine Trading (Champaign, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Had an on campus interview after meeting them at a job fair. It was 20 minutes long. They first asked me to tell them about my interests in computer science and what I have done in my coursework and personal projects. After that they gave me a coding problem. She had me explain my algorithm verbally first. Then she watched me write the code on paper. Lastly she had me explain the running time, and to say what could be a more optimal solution if given more time and extra data structures.

Interview Questions

• You are given a certain stock's price at different time intervals throughout a day stored in an array. Write an function to determine the maximum profit you can earn that day. You can buy and sell the stock as many times as you want at the array indices.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Wolverine Trading (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

Met and talked with a representative at my school's career fair. There, I signed up for a technical interview the next day. The interview was just one question, and the guy made me code it on a laptop in some kind of web interface that allowed you to check your solution. However, the interface broke upon me submitting my code (at the direction of the instructor) so I was unable to test my code. Additionally, the interviewer was late and they gave me the wrong room number initially.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of stock prices throughout the day, find the max profit that can be made in that day.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wolverine Trading (Chicago, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

Applied through college/university at fall career fair. Seemed like a cool program to apply to. Started promptly with an online skill coding assessment - had 4 multiple choice / fill-in-blank data structures questions. I was not ready for the online assessment... I thought I did horribly. Maybe got 2/4. Responded to the recruiter with feedback about the online assessment; she must have appreciated the feedback, because I was invited to a 1:1 phone interview. I heard it would be really hard, and I was already being recruited at several other companies, so I didn't bother preparing. This was a 30 min technical interview with a current software engineer. 10 minutes of behavioral questions, 20 minutes for programming. There was only one programming question: it was in c++, involved filling in a blank function in a pre-written program, and wasn't that hard. Just make sure you remember to check the little box in the bottom corner that says "run with all options", or else it won't compile. I was soon invited to a day of on-site interviews in Chicago. The hotel was really nice. The day started out with a quick office tour, a 45 min behavioral interview, a 45 min technical interview, a 45 min online coding assessment (about some weird standard deviation stock question), and a lunch break with current software engineers. Overall, I was pretty sure the morning went really well. The behavioral portion was fine, I solved the technical question well, and I came very close to solving the online coding problem (it was a pretty long program for 45 min, and my program was probably 90% done when the time ran out). Immediately after lunch, the recruiter informed me that I did not pass the technical portion - probably referring to the online assessment - and that that would be the end of my interview process. The same happened to the other guy that was interviewing that day. I had heard beforehand that Wolverine was known for being rude and kicking people out halfway through the day. The thing is though, I didn't think I did a bad job. I was rather proud of how my interviews had gone. Also, judging from the on-site visit, Wolverine employs hardly any women (except for HR). Glad I didn't end up working there.

Interview Questions

• What is the time complexity of a short code snippet? (online assessment)   Answer Question
    • Write a program to find the largest palindrome that is the product of two N digit numbers? (on-site interview)   1 Answer
    • Find the max profit that can be achieved with the following stock market information? (1:1 phone interview)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wolverine Trading (Chicago, IL) in September 2014.

Interview

They came to recruit at my school career fair. I had an on campus interview which was a linked list question. After that, got invited to an on site interview. The first team of interviewers I had seemed arrogant and confused me when I asked for clarifications. They were rude when I struggled with problems and acted as if I were a waste of their time. Next, it was a coding exercise where they gave us a problem and asked us to type our solution on their computer, which was more of a code design problem, like how to use object oriented programming to structure interfaces/classes etc. Then, it was lunchtime where they provided us with food from their cafeteria. After that, when I had just sat down and started talking to the second team, HR rudely interrupted me and asked me to that I did not "pass" so I had to leave. She essentially cut me off mid conversation while I was in an interesting conversation with a dev on the second team.

Interview Questions

• Given a pile of unsorted socks, how do you match up the socks and what is the runtime/complexity   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

Interview

Went to a career fair and got an interview. The interview was a little behavioral, but mostly technical in nature. The interview was in-person.

Interview Questions

• The question was just a singly linked list insertion into a sorted list, with the requirement to keep it sorted.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wolverine Trading (Chicago, IL) in September 2011.

Interview

Met Company at University Career fair, got a 1/2 hr interview for 5 days later. It was a technical/Behavioral interview, he asked me stuff like why I want to work for wolverine trading and why I'm interested in trading.

Technical questions weren't too hard, there was a puzzle in which I had to fill in numbers in a grid without adjacent numbers touching each other. Then there were others elementary ones (listed below)

3 weeks later I received a mail saying that they were not able to offer me a position with their firm at that time.

Interview Questions

• Given numbers from 1 to n with 1 missing, find the missing number.   1 Answer
    • Find the depth of a binary search tree   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Wolverine Trading (Chicago, IL) in March 2011.

Interview

The questions weren't that hard, except the interviewers seemed eager to push you to move faster which led you to make mistakes. The environment didn't seem that pleasing.

Interview Questions

• Give an algorithm for determining if a number is prime   1 Answer