Forward Deployed Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview Questions

Forward deployed engineer interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: Relevance Popular Date

How would you program a computer to shuffle a deck of cards? (Generate a permutation of the numbers from 1 to 100, uniformly at random)

4 Answers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_permutation (See Knuth shuffle)

Make array of numbers from 1 to 52. Go through each of cards each time removing one number randomly chosen from array and assigning it to the card. Sort the cards by numbers assigned to cards

I think you can use some group theory to solve this as well. Pick random number a in [0,51]. Pick another number b in [1,51] such that the gcd(52,b) = 1. The nth card in the permutation is the card at the index given by a+bn % 52, where % means modulus. i.e. nth index = a+bn (mod 52) In addition, this method works for any permutation of any length (assuming random distribution of b values).

Given an nxn matrix of 1's and 0's, figure out if all of the 1's are connected.

2 Answers

The following question was the programming question during the second phone interview. The coding portion was conducted using Stypi (similar to Google Docs). I was allowed to use my language of choice (Python) rather than being forced to use Java. I was asked to write a routine to verify that all the words in the solution of a crossword puzzle were valid words. The crossword puzzle was represented as a two-dimensional array of single-character strings (and empty strings for the empty blocks). While this question is pretty straightforward, but there is a "better" solution than others which seemed to pique the interest of the interviewer—see the answer section for details. It is also worth pointing out that I later found that certain technical details of my solution were incorrect, but either the interviewer didn't notice or didn't care. I think the question was intended more to see how I work.

1 Answer

Given an array and an index within that array, rotate the array from that index of rotation Example : Input => [1,2,3,4,5] , 3 Output => [4,5,1,2,3]

1 Answer

Everyone in the company does everything, and everyone in the group has a get it done attitude. How do you feel about that?

1 Answer

What controls naming services on a Linux system

1 Answer

Describe an algorithm for finding a duplicate character in a string.

2 Answers

(Coding question:) Verify that a crossword puzzle is correct. This means checking to see that any white square can reach any other white square by moving orthogonally along white squares (not checking to see if answers are correct.

1 Answer

Given a corpus of valid words, design a function that takes a word as input and outputs all valid anagrams of that word.

110 of 68 Interview Questions