Ruby developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for ruby developer

Ruby developer Interview Questions

"Ruby developers are responsible for developing code to build products using the Ruby programming language. In an interview context, expect to be quizzed on your technical skills through different kinds of computing problems or brainteasers. The specific questions you are asked will depend on what type of programming position you are looking for. Try researching a specific discipline such as web development, application development, or system development."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Describe a routine which returns the set of integers in {1..100} divisible without remainder by 3 but not by 9.

12 Answers

I'm assuming the question wants us to find integers that are divisible by 3 but not by 9. This can be easily obtained using a mod function inside the following if statement: if(number % 3 == 0 && number % 9 != 0) Here is a short program I wrote in c++ to show how to solve this problem. Instead of returning the set of integer, I just printed them out on the screen: #include #include using namespace std; int main(int argc, char** argv) { int i = 0; vector list; vector::iterator it; for(i = 1; i <= 100; i++) { if(i%3 == 0 && i%9 != 0) { list.push_back(i); } } for(it = list.begin(); it != list.end(); it++) { cout << *it << endl; } return 0; } If I missed anything, please let me know. Happy coding and problem solving!

That'll certainly work, Tyler, but the OP indicated he was interviewing for a Ruby On Rails - not C++ - gig.

put those integers into an array, pick every third element, out of which discard every third element.

This was a pair programming session with a Ruby engineer. They allow you to use your own laptop which was great but you only get 30 minutes to finish the problem with working unit tests. I think they re-use this pair programming problem so I'm not going to divulge details here. But it wasn't a particularly hard problem, they just want you to see how you code and test. Do not forget to write unit tests! Ideally you would develop it in a TDD fashion.

2 Answers

Tiresome puzzle questions. Recommend looking up the standard ones and their solutions (no, these don't make someone a better software designer or programmer - they're a waste of time). Be prepared for a programming exercise as usual, but be prepared to ask for it in a font/format that's easier to read than Arial or whatever variable-spacing font was used, and without line-wraps. I got the impression that the printout was an afterthought, and the level of interest of the interviewer was minimal

2 Answers

How would you optimize Ruby for performance?

1 Answer

If we have 8 same little balls, but one of them is less weight. How may times do we need to weigh them to define which ball is less weight?

2 Answers

One or more comments have been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

HR Interview

1 Answer

How did you become a Ruby on Rails Developer?

1 Answer

Am I equally comfortable with the front-end of the Rails stack as I am with the backend?

1 Answer

What do you like to do at your spare time with regards to software?

110 of 80 Interview Questions