LinkedIn Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 26, 2018
1,430 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn, set up a technical phone screen. Interviewer had a strong accent and it was hard to understand him. There was a lot of noise on the call (people talking in the background) which was very distracting. The interviewer asked me to start coding before I had finished brainstorming an optimal solution. The code was not as elegant as it could be, but it was O(n) and constant space, which is the best time and space complexity for the problem I was given. I ended up finishing early and the interviewer asked me if I could make the solution more elegant. I started brainstorming again and he told me to stop, leaving 10 minutes for questions.

I got a message from the recruiter saying that it wasn't a good match at this time. I asked for additional feedback but received no response to my email.

Main reasons for rating this a negative experience:
    -Interviewer asked me to start coding before I had developed an optimal solution; there was still plenty of time
    -There was a lot of background noise and talking during the call, which was very distracting
    -He cut the interview short when there was still time remaining, instead of giving me the time to optimize further
    -The recruiter ignored my last email, was not more transparent about the reasons it wasn't a good match

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn, talked to a recruiter, scheduled a phone screen, had the screen. Every question was pretty easy from a Senior Software Engineer standpoint and I breezed through them fast enough that we had a ton of extra time. In the end I was given a no, they said I didn't seem senior enough. It seemed really sketchy, especially considering the interviewer had less experience than me (got promoted to senior less than 2 years at LI from out of college). There's definitely some internal agenda on hiring going on, haven't ever gotten a no from an interview I had such an easy time with.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of numbers, return an array of numbers where exactly one of them existed in the input. ie. [1,1,2,3,4,4,] -> [2,3]   Answer Question

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

The Interview process is very challenging but the interviewers are really nice. The onsite interview is a whole day interview composed of 6 modules. Almost all modules are composed of product sense questions.

Interview Questions

• Solve a product problem by designing a multivariate ab test.   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

3 weeks from recruiter reaching out, initial screening call with recruiter, call with potential hiring manager, to answer. Communication was choppy and drawn out. Scheduling and responsiveness were some of the worst I've experienced in the Bay Area.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience.   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at LinkedIn (New York, NY).

Interview

I got a referral. For the interview process: First a phone screen interview, then tech interview about SQL and Python skills, then a case interview, after team match, there will be a general interview with hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Product-related questions such as what features would you choose to design an algorithm for certain function. And questions about your statistical knowledge such as the Simpson's paradox   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn immediately upon the listing opening and was contacted many months later through a recruiter. The interview process was pretty slow. After a pre-screening there were 2 technical interviews. These were standard coding algorithm interview questions, through an online text-sharing platform. I passed both but they took too long on my application, so there were no spots left.

Interview Questions

• Print a binary tree level-by-level   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter the next day. The recruiter was very helpful - she had a lot of information about the position and the interview process. After I talked with her, she emailed me with many tips and links to help me prepare for the interview. There was a separate person in charge of scheduling the interview who sent me the names of my interviewers and links to their LinkedIn profiles beforehand. I had 2 interviewers for the 1-hour technical phone screen. We spent 10-15 mins talking about my experience, ~5 mins on a warm-up coding question, and the rest of the time on a harder coding question. We had a slight technical mishap, but it was quickly remedied. We ended up going about 10 mins over so that I could ask them some questions. After the interview, it took 2 days to receive a decision. I appreciated their promptness in contacting me after I applied, scheduling the interview, and notifying me with the decision. Even though I did not make it to the next stage of interviews, I felt that their overall attitude was that they wanted to help candidates interview successfully rather than looking for reasons to reject people.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to calculate the maximum depth of a binary tree.   Answer Question
    • Calculate the shortest distance between 2 words in a word list. The word list is given to the constructor, and may contain more than 1 instance of each word. Example: "the quick brown fox quick jumps", distance(fox, quick) should return 1 (indices for fox = (3), quick = (1, 4), smallest distance is between 3 & 4)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

Got a phone interview with linkedin. The interviewer had a heavy chinese accent even though he had been with linkedin for over 10 years. the call started on an awkward note when i walked my interviewer through my professional background. i had spent 10 min talking about it and was eager to start the coding part but the interviewer insisted on spending yet another 10 mins on my background. in my experience, phone interviews are focused on writing code but apparently not for this gentleman.
    when finally we moved to the coding part, the questions themselves were fairly easy however, the interviewer had a hard time understanding the difference between hashmap contains and hashmap add methods' time complexity. since both of them are constant time operations, i opined that the difference between using one over the other was purely semantic but the interviewer did not seem to understand what that word meant and asked me why I thought using add was better than using contains. we argued about this for over 5 mins. finally, when i had a working implementation, the interviewer did not seem convinced it would work, so i had to map out the entire function call stack for him, on a shared screen. at the end he begrudgingly accepted that the code looked ok.

Interview Questions

• lowest common ancestor in binary tree, given two nodes
      1. if the node class had a parent pointer
      2. if the node class did not have a parent pointer   Answer Question

Associate Manager, Pricing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

HR phone screen, then phone call with hiring manager. The hiring manager was not too enthusiastic overall, but was friendly. He asked questions and I answered them. After this, they told me I was a great candidate, but someone else was further along in the hiring process and they had accepted the role.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

Phone calls with recruiter were more conversational. There were also a series of video interviews were you talk with hiring managers and also a mock sales call. Be yourself! They are so fun and they really want you to grow and be the best you can be, I could tell in my interviews.