3M Reviews

Updated May 21, 2020

3.9
Pros
Cons
  • "Work-life balance can be a little difficult at first but you get a rhythm(in 55 reviews)

• "The full time program is a 4 year commitment(in 45 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Did aquisition of M*Modal better than expected - great employer."

Current Employee - Director Speech Technology in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at 3M full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Surprisingly agile for such a large company. Able to listen. Great team, both in Pittsburgh and at 3M HIS - also on the corporate level where I had interactions. Health plan got better through acquisition by 3M. The general feeling is that they really care about their employees and try to do the right thing.

Cons

3M is a BIG company. There is, by necessity, more administrative overhead than for small companies. Acquisitions and mergers are always a bit rough, so it's hard to judge even 11 month in. But they managed to keep disruptions to a minimum while actually making progress on integration. Integration goes both ways, which is always nice to see.

3M2020-01-20

January 24, 2020Employment Brand Team

Hello, Thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoy working for 3M and really appreciate your feedback.

2. "Technical Aide"

Current Employee - Tech Aide

I have been working at 3M part-time

Pros

Good people, nice people, diverse company

Cons

Low pay, sometimes a little boring

3M2020-03-09

March 16, 2020Employment Brand Team

Hello, Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that overall you enjoy working for 3M and really appreciate your feedback.

"Great company, caring attitude"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at 3M full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Concerned for employees well- being

Cons

Not always as quick to respond as you may need sometimes

3M2020-05-15

"Good pay - terrible management - hazardous conditions"

2.0
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Springfield, MO

I worked at 3M full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay. Some really good people still work there and are under-appreciated.

Cons

Terrible management - no matter how good you are at your job or how loyal you've been to the company, they will turn on you in a heartbeat if you speak up about ethical issues - no backbone to stand up for what is right. Human Resources has no oversight and actively targets employees that refuse unethical behavior. Chemical exposure there is high in certain areas.

3M2020-05-20
  5. "Interview"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance. Good working environment

Cons

Routine work. You don’t have a lot to work. Job duties are messy.

3M2020-05-06

May 8, 2020Employment Brand Team

Hello, Thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear that overall you enjoy working for 3M and really appreciate you sharing your feedback.

6. "ok"

Former Employee - Trainer in Murray, UT

I worked at 3M full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Hard for promotions and pay raises.

3M2020-05-12

May 15, 2020Employment Brand Team

Hello, Thank you for your review. We really appreciate your feedback.

7. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at 3M full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity to work there your whole career

Cons

Need to be on the good side of your manager to move up

3M2020-04-27

May 1, 2020Employment Brand Team

Hello, Thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear that overall you enjoyed working for 3M, and really appreciate your feedback.

"Working at 3M HIS"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at 3M full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits are decent very good in terms of stock purchases. The medical benefits are awesome, in terms of the cost per paycheck very low.

Cons

Very tough to get promoted in a management role. It's all about who likes you and who knows you and you must play the politics role. Extremely hard for African American men to get promoted to management roles.

3M2020-04-23

April 24, 2020Employment Brand Team

Hello, Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that overall you enjoy working for 3M, but are very disappointed to hear that you feel as though minorities aren't as present in management roles. We’ve established a goal to double the pipeline of diverse talent in management by 2025 across all countries. We’ve made progress, and we’re committed to doing even more. To date, more than 50 percent of our top 100 leaders are diverse, and 30 percent of our board members are women. For more information about diversity and inclusion at 3M, please visit the Diversity and Inclusion page on 3M.com/careers. We really appreciate you sharing your feedback with us.

9. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time

Pros

Great management and career growth

Cons

Difficult to enter right out of school

3M2020-04-20

April 24, 2020Employment Brand Team

Hello, Thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear that overall you enjoy working for 3M and really appreciate your feedback.

"Good Job for Right Temperament"

4.0
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Aberdeen, SD

I worked at 3M full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits, professional and respectful treatment from management, good and comprehensive training, good system of P.T.O., excellent communication, great help from mechanics and technicians when needed. High value and focus on safety. It is the kind of job where you can show up and put in your time then leave work at work when you go home.

Cons

Very monotonous work with no variety, periods of mandatory overtime both regularly during the week and occasionally on weekends depending on product demand; I worked about 64 hours per week over several weeks in a row over several stretches and compounded with rotating shifts, this left me burned out. There was also occasional frustration with the machines. In my department on my crew, there were some employees who slacked off and I had to pick up the slack more than I’ve experienced at any other job (though talking to people in other departments, this seemed particular to my crew than the rest of the factory). On feet during whole shift on hard surface, but a good pair of shoes with supportive insoles took care of this for me.

3M2020-04-17

April 20, 2020Employment Brand Team

Hello, Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that overall you enjoyed working for 3M and really appreciate your feedback.

Found 2507 reviews