3M Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3M Interview Questions

Updated Feb 19, 2018

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 3M in November 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed by two engineers and someone from HR. The questions asked were entirely behavioral based and lasted for roughly 45 minutes. The majority of the time, the questions being asked pertained to six sigma or lean manufacturing.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us about a time when you had to deliver bad news to a supervisor/boss, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Walk us through a time where you had to implement a process change. What important steps did you take?   Answer Question
    • What is the worst job you have ever had?   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at 3M.

Interview

Interview went easy, friendly conversation until they blatantly asked me the ages of my children. This crossed the line with discrimination of ageism. Watch out if you are not under 40.

Optimized Operations Interview

Interview

Met recruiter at an on campus networking breakfast; was offered interview next day. It was essentially all behavioral/experience related questions. Really nice interviewer and a good experience. Unfortunately my GPA was too low to get hired.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 3M.

Interview

I initially spoke with the HR Rep, was passed on for an interview with the Hiring Manager then a panel interview with some of the team. Pretty straightforward question and answer interview using STAR format.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever dealt with a difficult customer or client and if so, how did you handle the situation.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

This was a long process, you go through many different interviews. It is always good to know someone within the company to try to get an "in" within this company.

Marketing Manager Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maple Grove, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Maple Grove, MN) in January 2018.

Interview

Quite a hurried experience. I applied late Dec 2017. I was called the 2nd week of Jan 2018 for one on-site interview with two managers. I advanced to the next level and was contacted immediately for a follow-up interview with the Director. I was praised in all interviews which led me to I think there would be a positive outcome, yet, all I have received was complete and utter 'radio silence.' I did not hear from the team, or HR on the outcome (positive or negative).

ATTN 3M: Reconsider your recruiting communications approach. Based on conversations I have had with colleagues who have relocated to MN for their companies (all Fortune 500 firms), and have considered transitioning to a different company, 3M was ranked as one of the worst. You should look at your competitor GE, or, even a different industry such as General Mills or Johnson&Johnson and learn from their playbook. For example, Gen Mills recruiting playbook makes the effort to give their interviewees a response within 3 business days post-interview, while J&J uses an interactive tool called 'Shine' which allows candidates to track their candidacy.

You will never attract/retain top-talent with these antiquated practices that do not exhibit the way people want to be informed/acknowledged during the recruiting process.

Interview Questions

• The questions were basic behavioral questions and some case questions you can answer in a STAR questions   Answer Question

Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, IA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 3M (Knoxville, IA) in January 2018.

Interview

back ground jobs overview, jobs I have worked for in the past my current job and my military background. Then the questions they have to ask about situations and how you handled them or would have handled them. then lastly they wanted to know if I had any questions for them.

Interview Questions

• when having a conflict with a fellow employee how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 3M.

Interview

Basic phone interview. The woman seemed very irritated the entire time. Didn't even receive an email to inform me that they have selected another candidate or anything. .when they specifically told me when I would hear back either way.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to handle multiple projects to meet a deadline.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at 3M.

Interview

I applied through university, then attended an on-campus interview, got picked and added to the internal candidate pool. One and a half months later received a phone interview request from a group who found me in that candidate pool.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your projects that you have done in the university.   Answer Question

Chemist/Materials Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 3M (Telephone, TX) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied online with CV/LinkedIn, was sent online tests to complete, passed and had a half hour interview with a recruitment agent. Was promised I'd hear in two weeks but two months on still nothing.

Interview Questions

• 'Give an example of a time when you've come up with an innovative idea that had a positive impact'   1 Answer