3M Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3M Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2017

2.7

XXI Sales Associate Interview

Interview

A very standard interview process. Basic questions regarding past work experience and skills. Nice interviewees and good description of the job was applying for. No other details able to provide at this time.

Retail Analytics Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at 3M.

Interview

Applied online and heard from the hiring manager the next day. Came in for an "interview" with hiring manager the next week which was basically just an overview of position. Met with what would be my peer the following week. Went weeks without hearing anything and then got asked to come in for a final interview with 24 hours notice. Rearranged my schedule at my current employer, drove across town for interview after which I was told I would hear back the next week. Never heard back even after following up two weeks later. Very disappointing to be ghosted especially after having to inconvenience people at my current employer.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite scanner and panel fact? Show me an example of recent analytic work. Among others...   Answer Question

Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Maplewood, MN).

Interview

Interview process itself was similar to other companies, though 5 interviews for the first day, next set was with two-three additional people a few weeks later.

They seem to lack an HR dept so an admin assistant, who was fantastic, reached out to arrange the interviews. There was no one to ask the standard initial questions one would normally ask of HR prior to accepting an interview offer.

Their follow-up was not up to the standards they sold during the first interview process.

Interview Questions

• how would you setup cloud authentication
      what types of technology have you used and how did you use them
      Have you worked with significant technology dept and aged systems, how did you address it.
      Have you worked within an organization where security is still a bit behind and you need to help sell the success of it.
      Answer Question

Plant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at 3M (North Tonawanda, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Literally a waste of time. Was contacted by a recruiter and urged to apply. I received a templated rejected email several days later. If this recruitment process is indicative of 3M culture, its definitely a company i would avoid.

Quality Control Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 3M (Northridge, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online in early March, got a phone call manager a week later. She asked if I can come in for an in-person interview. She also asked if I have experience using lab equipment like GC/HPLC. I got scheduled 2 weeks from then. I got interviewed by 4 people. 2 the first 30 minutes then another 2 switched the following 30 minutes (they were interviewing someone before me and after me). Got asked a lot of questions ranging from "tell me a time you had to...", "what comes first, acid or water", "describe in detail a procedure you had to do", and "do you prefer biology or chemistry?". They asked the last question because I had a bio degree and its for a chemist job. I think that's why I didn't get it because I told them I equally liked it. They said my answers were good for the other questions. Even though I didn't get the job, it was a great learning experience.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between normal and reversed phase hplc? They just wanted to know if I actually had basic science background.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time where you disagreed with a coworker and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Give a detailed description of a procedure you had to do. They want to know if you're detailed oriented.   Answer Question
    • What are you looking for from this job?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in a few years?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 3M (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Asked basic questions of who you are and why you would be a good fit. Interviewed by one male who was very friendly and positive, and one female who frequently interrupted you and never blinked which made eye contact very nerve wracking. No one ever got back to me either.

Technical Aide Interview

Interview

They emailed and set up an interview within a week of applying for the position. One on one interview followed, and received a phone call a week after that. Was hired shortly after

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time you have solved a problem on your own in the past   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 3M.

Interview

Applied online. The response time was relatively good. Completed a 45 minute phone interview with two managers and received an offer less than 2 weeks later. The interviews were very personable and the interview did not feel stressful despite containing several rather tough questions. The main focus of the interview was as a personality screening, determining my qualifications, and accomplishments. The interview was structured mostly as them asking open ended questions for me to respond to for as long as I could continue my answers.

O2 Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Tonawanda, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter by phone for an interview. This went well (mostly behavioral questions, why the position, why the company, applicable experience, etc), and I was invited onsite the next day or so for an interview about two weeks later. There was no warning, but a few other candidates for the position were interviewing the same day. The day was composed of a lunch and plant introduction, followed by (depending on your schedule among the group) a plant tour, a process-specific tour and interview, a peer interview (EHS and QC engineers), and a behavioral interview (recruiter and plant manager). All the interviewers were very open to discussion on specific topics and appeared generally engaged and friendly. They responded very well to good questions. Being personable and interested along the way seemed to help in the process and helped me make a good impression. I received an offer by phone the day after.

Interview Questions

• Can you give us an example of a time when you had to adapt to a change in the end goal of a project, and how did that happen?   Answer Question
    • Why are you applying for this position?   Answer Question
    • Asking about resume points, teamwork experiences, leadership qualities like people management and influence, and explaining any oddities (e.g. different backgrounds).   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not attempt to negotiate. 3M typically gives a standard rate and is hard to budge.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 3M (Irvine, CA).

Interview

Technical interview was conducted by 6 managers and a high level process engineer. There were situational and statistical questions throughout the interview that were typical of any interview but what was most interesting was the statistical questions involved.

Interview Questions

• Draw and explain a standard distribution curve and what the first three sigmas are and what they represent.   1 Answer