ALDI Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Shift Manager"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Derby, CT
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Derby, CT

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! Lots of room for growth. Very fast pace never the same day. A lot of advancements and growing fast.

Cons

I don't have any cons. I enjoy my job. The benefits are fantastic . Pay is great management is really well trained.

"Not for the faint of heart but being able to keep up in this demanding, fast paced retail environment has it's perks."

Former Employee - Store Manager Trainee in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager Trainee in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at ALDI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ industry leading wages
      Associates - $12/hr, Shift Mgr - $16/hr,
      SMT - $23/hr, Store Manager - $75,000+/yr
    + great work environment
    + excellent training
    + health, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k
    + 40-50 hr/wk with paid overtime

Very fast paced so work hours fly by.
    I loved working at Aldi. The pay was great! Benefits great! Was training to be a store manager so a lot was expected of me but I was totally up for it. My store manager loved my work, associates loved my fairness, customers loved me.

Cons

+ work/life balance
    + walked 28,000 steps/day!!!

Never thought I would be fired for clocking in only minutes late!!

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to reconsider their firing practice. Totally unfair to be fired by somebody who has never seen you or your work. Voluntary turnaround is out of control due to work load. I get it, its not for everyone, but value those that you do have. I was looking forward to putting in 15-20 years of my life into this company while I watched the average employee last only 3-5. Not disgruntled, more like heartbroken :'-(

3. "Great company, with many opportunities."

Former Employee - Casual Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Casual Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ALDI part-time (More than a year)

Pros

8 hour shifts fly because the store is usually busy and there are 2-3 people on a shift unless it's holiday season. Pay is better than most with raises and extra $1/hour Sundays. You do not have to take an unpaid lunch if you take two 15 minute breaks. You get to sit at the cash register !

Cons

Schedule availability must be open for full time and if part time one weekday must be open and both weekend days.

Advice to Management

All managers I worked with were respectful, and most went beyond what was expected so everyone's job would be easier.

4. "Aldi Shift Manager"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Greenville, SC

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits package.

Cons

The insistence on smaller staff size can make it difficult for Manning purposes and schedule making.

Advice to Management

Consider using Flex hours or 12-hour shifts.

"ALDI changed my life for the better"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at ALDI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I lost 30 pounds in my first 4 months working here. Lots of opportunities for overtime. Competitive pay. Fantastic benefits. If you are committed to working hard and improving daily you can thrive at ALDI.

Cons

Physically demanding and tiring. Work/life balance can be difficult at times. Open 7 days a week, they are looking for availability from 6 am-11 pm Sunday-Saturday.

Advice to Management

Continue to make improvements to employee retention and train associates adequately in all areas. A 10% discount would be nice too.

6. "Store Associate"

I have been working at ALDI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with

Cons

Don't have any cons at this moment

7. "Aldi is a great company to work for"

I worked at ALDI part-time (More than a year)

Pros

High pay for field, most grocers pay much less.
    Work isn't complicated.

Cons

Understaffed, I know that's how they afford to pay their employees more but working with a skeleton crew can become soul crushing.

"Great place to work, but work you will"

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Compensation plan is top notch. benefits, 401k, company car, and the pay is phenomenal, especially considering this is a first job out of college for most DM's.
    - For the most part you make your own schedule, so it's as flexible as you need it to be.
    - Independence, which can be a double edged sword. The best directors will provide direction and allow you to run with it, only stepping in when you need help or guidance.
    - The training program the company provides to get you prepared to be a DM is second to none. While you may not fully appreciate it when you're in the middle of it due to the insane workload, when you get to your district you'll realize that the training program was invaluable, and the time spent in store will allow you to better relate and be more credible with your employees.

Cons

- Work/Life balance. It's always something that is discussed in meetings, but once the meeting is over so is that train of thought.
    - Sometimes the physical aspect of the job can be overwhelming. If your store is struggling, be prepared to spend a lot of time (hopefully in store clothes and not in a suit) helping out.
    - It's retail, so there will be odd hours at times. Overnights, weekends worked, early mornings and late nights. While only the weekend work is mandatory (one Saturday and one Sunday a month), the others are infrequent, but can be frustrating at times.
    - Changed districts roughly twice a year. It was great to be able to work with so many different managers, each with their own style, but it was difficult to establish a rhythm in a store. Once you had a store where you wanted it to be and could begin to really dig in to fine tuning it, districts would change and it would happen all over again.
    - Also very frustrating to turn a store around and invest time in it to make it productive, only to hand off your hard work to someone else.

Advice to Management

- Allow your DM's to spend more time with their stores to fully develop routines.
    - Be mindful of the mix of stores you're giving to DM's. If you're giving someone all challenge stores they will be stressed beyond belief. If you give them all easy stores, it can really stunt the development of the DM. Both lead to frustration and a lack of motivation.
    - Work/Life balance isn't something that should be paid lip service to. It's been an issue in each employee survey and it's there for a reason. We all expect crazy hours in Q4, but that isn't sustainable year round.

9. "Aldi"

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

Pay is very good for grocery store

Cons

Hard work, it's not just sitting.

Advice to Management

Equality

10. "Job"

Pros

Everything about this company is a pro

Cons

Can't find any issues myself

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Showing 2,018 of 2,092 reviews