ASM Research Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
John Fraser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Many projects support flexible work schedules with work from home at least 2 days per week an option (in 7 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance (though watch out for over-tasking) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They took over the contract for the National Service Desk for the VA Hospitals (Horrible decision on the VA's part) (in 3 reviews)

• Growing pains are great opportunities to learn and do things better (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great company - needs some fine tuning"

I have been working at ASM Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people work here. They're intelligent and hard working with most having a strong sense of customer missions

Flexibility is great and compensation has been fair

Cons

Some growing pains the last couple years probably from a few large contract wins

Advice to Management

Invest more to grow the dev / tech services - Focus on training and empowering employees - Increase internal communications

2. "Help Desk Analyst"

I worked at ASM Research full-time

Pros

Great company and management. Opportunity to advance.

Cons

Jobs are confusing at first with different management styles.

3. "Stay far away"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at ASM Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, pay, PTO, VA management is flexible

Cons

You will learn absolutely nothing on this contract. If you want to learn and advance in your career, I advise to look else where. The work is all redundancy to help fill seats to bring in revenue for ASM. There is no actual vulnerability remediations. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Start by actually helping the VA

"Only good to obtain experince but beware!"

Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Falling Waters, WV
    Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Falling Waters, WV

I worked at ASM Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good 401k
    - Okay Healthcare
    - Flexibility
    -The people you interact with and meet.

Cons

- Management Politics ( Constant politics between federal employees and contractors on a Department Of Veteran Affair Contract)
    -It's not always what you know its who you know. ( Be prepared to watch tons of people get promoted in other departments that are inexperienced and only there simply because they are friends with someone)
    -Company will find ways to keep you from taking time off ( When placing for time of for a holiday or day off you will not always be approved regardless if you worked the last 6 holidays.
    - Training horrible ( They'll hire tons of new hires and barely train them before releasing them to the job to setup for failure and frustrate customers and co workers.
    -Horrible at making employees feeling valued even employees who stay with them for long term. ( in till they are about to leave)
    - The room for growth is fairly limited depending on the contract you're placed on.
    - You will be offered low amount of money compared to your peers. I was making okay money while new hires were being offered at least 7 dollars less than I.
    - Company will refuse to fire people who do not perform well or people who hinder the project simply because they are afraid of law suits.

Overall I had high hopes for this company when they first took over the Department of Veteran affairs. They haven't treated me that bad since I was a star there but what bothered me was how they interacted with other employees and co workers.

Advice to Management

Universal communication and minimize micromanagement. It's important that If you invest in your employees that you also remind them from time to time they are not replaceable and reward them for hard work.
    Fix management on Enterprise Service Desk
    Provide Better Training.

5. "Good so far"

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Tuscaloosa, AL

I have been working at ASM Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere.
    Flexible scheduling.
    Good benefits.
    Overall good place to work, but I've only been here a few months. Pay differs a lot between agents depending on which staffing agency you went through.

Cons

No clear path for advancement. Management is scattered across locations, don't have a good understanding of the needs of agents.

Advice to Management

Local managers would work a lot better.

"Not the best supervisory model"

Former Employee - Service Desk Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Service Desk Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ASM Research full-time

Pros

Flexible ability to get time off. Chance to leapfrog to the VA and work for the federal government instead of being a contractor.

Cons

Management is highly decentralized. My last boss was on the east coast and I was in the far West of the country. Because most managers do not work at the same site as their subordinates they cannot get a real idea of the work ethic of their own employees.

Advice to Management

Get your management on site with employees so they can see each of their subordinates and be more access

"Couldn't take it"

Former Employee - Cyber Security Specialist in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Cyber Security Specialist in Chantilly, VA

I worked at ASM Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Telework policy was nice. Co-workers were friendly. Understanding supervisors. Great pay for not really doing anything. Great benefits.

Cons

Hired as Cyber Security Engineer, Senior Level, which turned out just to be because of my length of time in the industry. I expected to be doing that type of work. Instead, I ended up calling people around the globe and walking them through installing MobilePass, a OTP software. It was very repetitive and not in line with what I thought I'd be doing. At $80k/yr, I felt it was a rip off of the VA and the taxpayers and only benefited a NON-US company. I couldn't take it and found some place else to work. There are lots of families that work in the higher ups, which is kind of fishy.

Advice to Management

Stop shorting the VA and the taxpayers. I never even met any of the management. Offer some sort of IT training for folks outside your corporate office.

8. "IT Service Desk"

I have been working at ASM Research full-time

Pros

Good pay. Low Stress. Consistent.

Cons

Horrible PTO. Systems not the best

9. "A company that cares for their employees"

I have been working at ASM Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A place where your thoughts are taken seriously and respected.

Cons

The recent years growth with the nationwide workforce and the type of work and contracts have created a two cultures that are still not on the same page.

Advice to Management

Do more to address the culture issues of remote employees working on new contracts to learn the ASM way and have leadership that meets the long term ASM values.

10. "Great company to work with to gain experience but expect pay to be on the low end"

I have been working at ASM Research full-time

Pros

Great education benefits and you get free fruit and snacks every week.

Cons

Pay is low and it is very hard to move up in the company