Advanced Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Yuval Wasserman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some really great people to work with (in 5 reviews)

• There is flexibility for work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management does not seem to advocate for their underlings (in 4 reviews)

• It seems there is a small disconnect between upper management and the employees, leading to some choices that don't always make sense (in 4 reviews)

"Associate"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with. Everyone is dedicated to driving value and advancing the company's mission.

Cons

Can be quite a bit of traveling, but understandably so.

Advice to Management

Try to attain more feedback from employees.

2. "Great place to gain experience and move on."

Current Employee - Test Technician in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Test Technician in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Advanced Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gain experience.
    Friendly culture.
    Known Industry name.
    Great benefits.

Cons

Pay not competitive for long-term.
    Working hours (12hr shifts and weekends)
    Limited promotional movement.
    Do not always feel appreciated.

Advice to Management

Be willing to recognize key employees through higher pay raises, small bonuses, or simply taking time to seek them out and let them know they are doing a good job.

"R&D could be great but isn't."

Former Employee - Engineer in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some really great people to work with. Health and vacation benefits are pretty fair. Some flexibility in work schedule. Fun technology to work on. Some sub-cultures are driving change.

Cons

R&D is constant stress and "firefighting". Pushed to cut corners to make dates. Project schedules are a joke. Pushed to "skirt" facts to customers. Good people get frustrated very quickly.

Advice to Management

It seems like the product development process isn't fully understood much less understanding where the bottlenecks are and therefore no one is working on inefficiencies. It is just pushed as go faster go faster so people cheat to get there. There are people in management positions they have no business being in. People are not held accountable for hitting their part of the schedule and no one wants you to "do it right the first time" if it means missing a milestone or ship date. I could go on. The stories I could tell!

4. "Avoid at All Costs"

Pros

If you want to step back in time, work here; Otherwise keep looking.

Cons

I would rate this zero stars if I could. They will make you all kinds of promises and lie to you before you accept the job then renege once you start. They say they want ot attract millenials, but their policies and systems are antiquated. They use travel agents to book travel. TRAVEL AGENTS like from the 1950's. They aren't interested in advancing to the 21st century or streamlining or saving money. They have a bunch of old hags in charge of policy and they get to dictate what goes. Since they've been doing things the same way since 1981 and are mature AF, they don't even consider newer, better ways to do things. And don't get sucked in by the lies they'll try to deceive you with in order to get you to take the job.

Advice to Management

If the Executive Staff keeps people on power trips in the positions to dictate policy that affects employee morale, just because they've been there forever, they don't have the best of the company in mind

"Little Reward"

I worked at Advanced Energy full-time

Pros

Build experience gaps for a career with another company since turnover is so high.

Cons

Low compensation as compared to similar regions.
    No profit sharing.
    Middle management lacks vision.
    No training available for job growth.
    Lackluster employee recognition programs.
    Mediocre company Summer picnics.
    Uses SAP from 1998 release hence, lacks vision for power of technology as a tool for productivity.
    The list can go on and on.

Advice to Management

Don't brag about having no debts with hundreds of millions in the bank and then not give bonuses to the employees.

"Great company"

I have been working at Advanced Energy (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing globally in great industries

Cons

Need to work on continuing to build and improve processes.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Engineer III in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Advanced Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The location is great. I like the work culture respecting each other. Salary is decent. It is a engineering company.

Cons

No bonus. There are not many young people in engineering. The company size is relatively small with small number of employees.

"You get out of it what you put in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Advanced Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Excellent Pay. Health insurance is VERY low cost to the employees. Yes the hours can be long at times but the company is flexible with a lot of time off. I have never missed a family function because I had to work. Ample opportunities for growth. Many front-line workers have been promoted into upper level positions over the years. These opportunities are not just handed out. They are earned. Work hard, contribute, and avoid the entitlement mentality; you will be successful. You get out of it what you put in.

Cons

Company can be reactionary which is driven by the markets we serve. Management demands agility however has instituted bureaucratic systems virtually guaranteeing we can not be. Deadlines are often unrealistic.

As with most companies there are mixed reviews. AE has it's problems but all companies do. Despite the negative reviews, most employees seem to want to stay with AE. Many who leave try to come back. Overall a great place to work!

Advice to Management

Keep up to good work. The focus on employees has improved dramatically in recent years.

"Commodity Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Advanced Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity for personal growth both within departments as well as cross functions. I have been fortunate to be able to advance not only within a department/function but they are also open to letting you transfer other functional areas.

Cons

Sometimes management is slow to recognize employees and allocate resources to projects. The last two years have seen a dramatic improvement in both these areas.

Advice to Management

Keep on with the current progress to how the company is positioned both externally and internally. There has been a dramatic improvement in job satisfaction and personal opportunities over the last two years.

"Nice place to work"

Pros

It is a professionally run company, with a casual, friendly environment. The people are nice to work with, right up to senior management. The company is always improving the way things are done. They do nice things for us. We had a great holiday party and a summer barbeque and everything was done nicely. We have free coffee and fruit. We have other events or celebrations throughout the year, so they try to make it a fun place to work. I feel appreciated. We have a 401k plan with a company match. They offer tuition assistance. There is flexibility for work/life balance. They want our opinions and suggestions and some are actually implemented. There are employee programs that allow employees to show appreciation for each other. If you make a mistake, they are forgiving. There is a women's leadership forum where you can listen to a variety of speakers and learn. There are various employee committees to join so you can make a difference. They will pay for you to attend seminars if you want to continue learning. This is a nice place to work and I am happy working here.

Cons

No company is perfect. Advanced Energy could use some improvement in the area of communication; sometimes people don't share the information they should with the appropriate people. Sometimes things don't happen the way you think they should, but that is anywhere. Sometimes things take too long to get approved. But the pros of working here far outweigh the cons.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to see more promotion opportunities.