Alarm.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Steve Trundle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Progressive company that offers a great work/life balance, positive work environment, and opportunity to grow (in 11 reviews)

• Work/Life balance and Pros/Cons depends on the team you join in (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Some growing pains but this also means there's plenty of opportunities to grow (in 7 reviews)

• It's really up to you to maintain a good work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great environment!"

I worked at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

Work with awesome people who are passionate about their job. Relaxed culture where you can explore new ideas.

Cons

None really, loved my time there

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing

"Going downhill... and fast."

Former Employee - Support Operations Associate in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Support Operations Associate in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Alarm.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the most part, great folks to work with. Just about everyone in support is easy to get along with. Office is nice, well decorated and has some great amenities. Company values are great, when they are adhered to.

Cons

While this used to be a fantastic place to work (my previous rating was 5 stars) it is going downhill quickly. What used to be an exciting and innovative work environment has become more and more like the cog-in-the-machine call centers that we came here to get away from. Ever since the company went public, the conditions have deteriorated. There is no longer concern for employees or customers - only the bottom line. We are understaffed but continue to layoff/fire people without replacing them. Part of the operations have also been sent overseas, an easy way to cut costs and probably why they're not hiring much in Minnesota anymore.

Pay has stagnated, a big part of why I left. Pay was always a little below market average, but made up for by benefits and work conditions. Pay has continued to drop, and conditions deteriorated, which prompted me to move on. Little to no growth available to those who remain.

Advice to Management

You need to step back and look at where you've gone. I know you can do better, so why aren't you? Keep your CORE values in mind, and hopefully you can get back on track.

3. "Great place to be!"

I worked at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

Great environment, great people, fun place to work at!

Cons

Traffic to deal with during commute.

"Career Mistake - Alarm.com."

I worked at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

* Nice looking office, and amenities within the office
    * Social events in the office/happy hours

Cons

* Not much flexibility as far as work hours go (felt looked down on for leaving work early due to childcare responsibilities)
    * Didn't feel a sense of work life balance - emails/chats at all hours of the night, even on things that were not urgent and could have waited till the next day.
    * No team collaboration - everything was all driven from the top down, and there was no room for improvement from other people on the team.
    * Poor communication from management
    * Lack of confidentiality on teams
    * Not allowed to work from home pretty much ever, and if you had to, you would feel guilty.
    * Pay was not at all competitive compared to the market (one of the reasons I left)
    * All decisions that were made were based on favoritism, not based on the work others were doing.
    * Old school processes in place that needed updated, but no one wanted to do anything different because "that was the way it was always done."

Advice to Management

Alarm.com dropped from spot 14 to spot 55 on the TWP surveys in 1 year. Shows that employees are not as happy as they were a year ago. Might be something to actually look into.

5. "Alarm.com is fun, fast-paced, challenging, and satisfying!"

Current Employee - Management Development Program Associate
    Current Employee - Management Development Program Associate

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined the Alarm.com MDP because of my dual degrees in liberal arts and engineering. The ability to experience the different departments at Alarm.com appealed to my technical and humanities interests. It was important for me to be able to flex and further develop the skills I had focused on in school, while not making an initial presumption about where I would be most successful, or beneficial to the company. Learning firsthand how a company works by spending
    time within each component helps my brain piece together the business puzzle and is ultimately the learning experience and professional development
    opportunity I did not find anywhere else.

Cons

Alarm.com moves fast and sometimes moves faster than allows for formal SOPs or documentation. But I've thoroughly enjoyed the flexibility and start up-y pace and have taken advantage of the opportunity to establish and streamline processes.

"Great first job for young professionals"

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Culture is great and feels more like a family than a group of coworkers
    - Benefits are solid
    - Company is industry leader in security / home automation SaaS
    - Company is positioned for long-term growth and success

Cons

- Salary is below average across all company positions
    - Commute is rough if you live somewhere affordable considering the below average salary
    - Upward mobility is tough if you haven't already been here 5+ years / are coming over from Microstrategy
    - Lack of process standardization within and across projects causes productivity loss and enables sub-par performance

Advice to Management

Keep culture as a priority and focus more on retaining talent long-term before brain drain starts or a job here will only be a good stepping stone instead of a career

"I LOVE alarm.com"

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Alarm.com is truly a great place to work!! It's clear that ADC understands that satisfied and healthy employees are really what drives company success. Family leave and 401k benefits were substantially bettered for 2018 and ADC continually invests in employees by providing a fun culture with many opportunities to participate in extra-curricular employee-sponsored events. It's exciting to be part of such a fast growing, innovative company with a fun culture!

Cons

Management could do a better job in providing more visibility to overall company and department goals.

"Good for a start, but NOT for career growth and salary"

I worked at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

-Fun culture with lots of activities and freebies in the office. The office is modern and decorative with cool designs and colors.
    -Young and energetic. Everyone is friendly
    -Good benefits, except the tuition support is very low. ~$2k per year or so. That barely covers anything if you are looking for decent education.
    -This is a good place to start out when you're a college grad.

Cons

Alarm.com's pay is lower than market value, and they are very stingy with the raises, despite the amount of work you do. You can complain and ask all you want about the salaries/wages, but upper management and HR takes no action on this. Even after good reviews, they hardly give out raises or promotions. I can speak for the engineering roles here. Many people become stagnant in their roles. There is no clear career path. You find there are people working hard who deserve more and others who don't work that hard and get more. I would not suggest that anyone stay at Alarm.com for more than 2 years, as they will find that they are not learning enough to stay competitive in their fields, and their pay would be a short end of the stick. Their processes seem to be behind the norm. They are not using many advanced approaches in their product/software deliveries. There is a lot of manual testing here that should've been automated from the start. My advice to people who choose to work for Alarm.com would be to not get comfortable. Be alert and start realizing when you need to take a step forward in your career, knowledge, and salary.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and actually take some action to fix the issues. There are so many complains about salary - why has there been no change on this? Maybe stop spending all your money on lavish events/activities for the office and unnecessary travel expenses, and start using that money to pay your employees what they deserve. Everyone can see through all the frills.

"Great Company; Great Program"

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

I joined the Management Development Program because after studying engineering in college, I wanted to figure out how to combine my passion for technology with a growing interest in business, and the MDP seemed like the perfect opportunity to learn and grow as a leader in these areas. Also, after meeting the current MDPS, I realized this would be a group of people who I could challenge in an intellectual discussion, turn to for help during a difficult rotation, or grab a beer with after the work day. This program and company have exceed my expectations!

Cons

No real cons to report

10. "Great Company Culture"

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

Great people, great company culture.

Cons

Traffic can be a little annoying sometime.