Alarm.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Steve Trundle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/Life balance is there, but you have to take ownership of it" (in 11 reviews)

• "Positive work environment, good pay, care for employees" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Career Path and Opportunities are hard to discern" (in 9 reviews)

• "a lot of the typical growing pains of a rapidly growing tech company but really there aren't any major cons" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Wonderful Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with Alarm.com for a short time and have been extremely impressed with the way this organization truly sets their employees up for success. Coming form a sub-par environment with my past employer Alarm.com has more than surpassed my expectations when it comes to onboarding, training and really investing in their employees. The common areas in the office at headquarters are beautiful, everyone greets you with a smiling face and is willing to help if needed. The CORE office in Bloomington, MN has an amazing team oriented environment where everyone works so hard to provide the absolute best customer service to our partners.

Alarm.com has a competitive pay structure with a top of the line benefits program. The run-ins I've had with senior management have been very enjoyable experiences and there is a true work/life balance here.

I have had nothing but good experiences in all areas within the last few weeks and couldn't be more excited to continue my journey at Alarm.com.

Cons

In my first few weeks I haven't experienced any cons.

2. "Good place to work at"

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good culture and flexibility, you get to work on an interesting product.

Cons

Growing pains transitioning from a small company to a more mature one.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Cloud Operations in Tysons, VA
    Current Employee - Cloud Operations in Tysons, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office is in a great location and promotes a fun atmosphere. I really enjoy the team i'm on and the people I work with. I have nothing but nice things to say about my managers. The product is innovate and makes my role enjoyable.

Cons

None that I can think of.

4. "Great Company, Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very intelligent and supportive, which provides for a great work environment. I genuinely feel that the work I am doing has real world impacts, which I have not experienced in previous jobs. The company recognizes exceptional work throughout the company and awards these employees (either directly nominated by members of their team or not) for their hard work. The HQ office is amazing, and has unique quiet rooms throughout the office (and a hidden ping pong room behind a false bookshelf!), and provides the teams with a snack budget, which come's in handy when a meeting goes long or you cant find the time to take a proper lunch break.

Cons

The only complaint I can think of thus far, is that it is often difficult to rope in some of the non-HQ offices - and many team members may not be able to visit the coworkers they work with on a daily basis.

5. "I really love it here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The people are seriously wonderful!!!!
    -Lots of training opportunities
    -Our product offerings are just so awesome
    -We are growing like crazy so it's just a fun and energized environment naturally
    -Lots of investment in fun things inside and outside of work
    -Innovation is really driven hard - if you have a good idea to pursue no one tells you no

Cons

-Remote offices all have their own cultures; at sometimes you can feel a little out of the fold

Advice to Management

Keep the mentality that cared for employees make companies successful

6. "Why would you NOT work for Alarm.com?"

Current Employee - Marketing in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing in McLean, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not a day goes by at Alarm.com in which I don't feel appreciated for my hard work, committed to a growing vision, supported by my manager both personally and professionally, and thankful to work with a team of some of the most intelligent and bright individuals I have ever met. Our company is a workhorse in terms of efficiency and process improvements and continues to get better and better each day that I am here.

I also know the work I do specifically to help my Business Partners is meaningful and assists them in creating valuable and loyal customers that are committed to their brand. Not only do they communicate consistently all of the positive benefits of working as an Alarm.com service provider, but they also provide value feedback for improving our programs and tools to be more effective. The best part of their critiques is that we actually TAKE the feedback and work to consistently improve our Partners' experiences and repackage new programs for their tool-kits.

I am consistently arming my resume with new skills to open my career to new opportunities. Each day is different, and I know I am supported no matter what out of the box ideas I have, and that my opinion is heavily valued although I am a younger individual in the workplace.

The company also offers educational reimbursement so that we can attend a professional conference related to a skill in which we'd like to further develop. We have a dedicated internal training team (which is incredibly talented) that holds workshops consistently on personal brand development, working with diverse personalities, presentation improvement courses, interviewing tips, technical product courses, management improvement classes and workshops, and more. We also have dedicated committees to appeal to social events in order to boost morale around busy times of the year! We have a committee that plans seasonally relevant social activities, sports committees that bring employees together outside of the workplace, and a team of facilities managers that are incredibly supportive and ready to assist with anything you need to ensure your work space is comfortable!

We keep decor lively and have dedicated spaces throughout the office that are themed for different moods when you need to get away from your desk. Our headquarters has been developed to really cater to employees’ needs. The company put in an oxygen room to promote health and calmness if you ever feel stressed. Even down to the cold brew that is stocked to help promote alertness, this company goes above and beyond to provide resources and environments that help you to stay motivated and productive.

It is quite astounding how much this company provides to improve employee's professional development and allow for a warm, cohesive workplace in which new ideas are welcomed and accepted. The benefits are completely unrivaled in comparison to most organizations.

I cannot truly imagine working at another company that offers this much opportunity for their employees, support, and care in both a personal and professional setting, and advancement potential for vertical career growth. To say the least, the work I'm doing daily and the opportunities this organization provides me, allows me to feel completely satisfied with my career and the direction it is heading in.

Cons

Truthfully, it is difficult to think of many cons. If I HAD to list one, I'd say a few more PTO days for newbies would be great, but don't we all wish we had more PTO? ;) Benefits overall are so incomparable to most organizations though, they're incredibly competitive and comprehensive, so there's really no room for complaints!

Advice to Management

Continue what you're doing! Growing the company with a strategic vision, investing in your employees, and hiring top-notch talent.

7. "Great environment for advancement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

I'm coming up on 1 year at Alarm.com and have noticed that open communication with management has really helped me set and reach goals. Also working on a team that encourages collaboration, I've seen more success more quickly than at my previous jobs.

Cons

Because the company has grown and continues to grow so quickly, there are always new people joining the teams so keeping the team cohesion consistent is difficult. But new team members mean more help, so it's not the worst problem to have!

8. "good place to work"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at Alarm.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very intelligent people and very good culture

Cons

i did not have any comment for cons

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

Great work space and management really cares about their employees. It is a larger company that still has a start up feel. There's also a lot of growth and exposure to what you want to do. Everyone that works there is a smart and down to earth which makes it that much more enjoyable.

Cons

Traffic in the Tyson's area makes it harder to get to work

"Don't Believe the Hype"

I worked at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

The office space is great, full of great perks.
    Social elements are great, if you have time.
    Training staff is supportive and strives to offer lots of opportunities.
    If this is early in your career, it's not a bad place to cut your teeth/get a big 'name' on your resume.

Cons

Before I started writing this, I read the past few years of reviews and had to do a double take the make sure I hadn't written a review before.
    So, let me repeat what others have said:
    LOTS of favoritism/clickish behavior. Mid level leadership protects their friends.
    Department heads who have 70% department turnover in a year (the lionshare leaving for better jobs) continue to fail upward.
    For a progressive company about access, no real support for remote work/flex hours.
    Pay levels 10-30% below market, hence the BIG campus push.
    The 'freedom' to chart your own career path means that unless you get a supportive manager, you're just a cog.
    HR department is absolutely focused on the companies benefit, not yours. Read and use the employee handbook and know your rights.

Advice to Management

Good luck as companies bigger and smaller continue to produce better products with stronger brand identities than what you're offering.