Alarm.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Steve Trundle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Progressive company that offers a great work/life balance, positive work environment, and opportunity to grow (in 11 reviews)

• Work/Life balance and Pros/Cons depends on the team you join in (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Some growing pains but this also means there's plenty of opportunities to grow (in 7 reviews)

• This in all fairness is probably because we are a growing company (in 4 reviews)

1. "LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS COMPANY"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Know how to work hard, but also have a good time
    - Interested in your career growth and development
    - Flexible schedules
    - Green room and rustic staircase at HQ

Cons

- Traffic to get to Tysons

"Software Engineer Review"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

This is a great first job. You will learn a lot about real-world software engineering (all the stuff your CS degree didn't teach you).

- The culture is very unique and laid back. People here are also very friendly towards each other.
    - Nobody will micromanage you or force you to work a certain way
    - The work/life balance is great. If you are good at your job, you will rarely stay at work more than 45 hours per week.
    - Flexible hours: you have to be available after new code is deployed (in case you need to fix bugs), but that's about it

Cons

- There is a lot of bureaucracy. It it starting to feel like a megacorporation.
    - The release system is archaic and overly complex. There is no CD pipeline. This makes our jobs as engineers unnecessarily difficult.
    - Too much toil - there is a lot of repetitive, manual work required to complete day-to-day tasks. For example, most software changes are manually tested.
    - Compensation is not competitive (see below for explanation)
    - I am doubtful that this company can compete with the tech giants (like Google) who are building smart home products

Advice to Management

The compensation scheme is not competitive. This is a recurring theme across many glassdoor reviews, and management seems to be dismissive/indifferent whenever compensation is discussed.

The annual raise and bonus is capped at around 5000 each. Considering that the average starting salary here is around 90000, the expected annual increase in compensation would be 5000 annually (about 5.6% annually). After three years, your salary would have increased by only 17.8%. But if you switch jobs, you can expect an instant increase of 25%-50%. ADC will never match this, so it would be financially irresponsible to stay longer than a few years.

"Engineer Review"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. This is a great place to start one's career. As a software engineer I have gotten a chance to work on multiple projects where I got to learn a lot of new things and work on large scale projects. I think this is a great place to start for any college grad.

2. Work / Life balance is great - You are not micro-managed and given the flexibility to work on your own schedule.

3. Good Co-Workers - Generally speaking all the people I work with are great.

4. Others - You have a direct line to the VP. You will get to learn a lot if you get an opportunity to work with him. However, I think this is generally not the case anymore.

Cons

Until recently I barely used to think about leaving the company or searching for new opportunities even though I would constantly get bombarded by emails from recruiters. However, this is not the case anymore, and I find myself constantly thinking about this topic. There are 3 main reasons -

1. Career path - The career path is not very well laid out at Alarm. This in all fairness is probably because we are a growing company. However, this is still frustrating and concerning. As other reviewers have also pointed out, promotion process seems a bit ad hoc (not sure if it really is behind the scenes). Few people have been promoted and others who I think should have been promoted by now are still in their old position. In general, I don't think any SE knows what their career trajectory will look like. They are also in the dark about what will be required for a promotion (i.e. what skill sets, experience level etc.). I know just by talking to people that this is a concern for more people than just myself. A lot of people in other departments have left the company recently because of this same reason.

2. Compensation - I don't think the compensation at Alarm is very competitive. In my research I have found that my pay and even the average pay for an SE here is below the average compensation around Tysons and DC area. The raises are not that great which I think makes the problem worse over time. Initially, I used to think that the compensation was at par / competitive. However, every year during my research I find that my pay is below the average around this area. I know that compensation is even a bigger concern in some other departments.

3. Technology - I think this would be true after a while in any company. However, after working here for so long, I find that I am not learning a lot of new things anymore.

At this point I have my doubts about how much longer I will be with the company.

Advice to Management

1. Please look into having more defined career paths for the employees.
    2. Please look into the compensation package. All reviews seem to be complaining about the compensation, so it is probably high time to look into this more carefully.

Keep up with the good work otherwise.

"Positive Work Environment With Room for Growth"

Current Employee - Support Operations Associate in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Support Operations Associate in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management treats you like an intelligent human being. I have yet to experience being talked down to. You are recognized for putting in the work and there is a lot of room for advancement, not just in position, but in knowledge. I've learned so much since I've started here less than a year ago, that I now feel comfortable helping my own team members on some pretty difficult situations. I have been given added responsibility, raises, bonuses, and I haven't even hit the one year mark. This is the place to come to if you are willing to put in the work and want to advance, but it is also the place to come to if you just want to do your job well and go home without any added responsibilities. Please don't join this team if you plan on doing the bare minimum, it will be noticed, and your team members will not appreciate it.

The team environment is the best I've ever worked in. I have never had a bad day when it comes to coworkers and this is me coming from a job where I was sad and frustrated every day. Here people pull you up. You look sad and they want to make you smile. They will do everything they can to help you have a good day.

Cons

Though there are positions for advancement, most stop at just a step up. The selection process for their positions could be improved in that they could make decisions a bit quicker as the process can last months without any updates. At times their selections do slightly feel like favoritism, but those that are favorites aren't because they are best friends with management, but because of the hard work they do. Which is a change of what I've seen at other companies. However if you have an inkling of who is applying you can pretty much tell who will get a new position before its finalized. So work hard and make sure you are remembered.

Advice to Management

Add diversity to the upper management.

"Amazing company, big opportunity to make an impact"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

I have a strong opportunity to develop myself here and make an impact, it's not a micro-managed environment but one where you can truly influence and grow your capabilities. They expect you to self manage and lead versus waiting to be told what to do but at the same time, you have mentors and open communication. 1000% times better than anywhere else I've worked. Our office is incredible with an indoor greenhouse room with plants and special air quality and lighting and music. Not making this up! It's the most relaxing place and I come to the office on the weekends sometimes to use this room.

Cons

None for me. Some people may need more structure but if you are creative and ambitious and like to get stuff done, you will love it here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing our annual company weekend off-site trip. It's a unique aspect of our culture that bonds everyone and helps to keep employees informed. And it's fun! Thanks for doing it!

"Former employee writing with a few months of perspective"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Alarm.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

First let me say that working at Alarm.com (ADC) was an amazing experience for me. But I joined at a time where a lot of my positive moments were with the ADC of old. This is no longer a mid-growth stage startup, and the company that this is today is a far cry from the one I joined. So it's hard for me to objectively give both these pros and cons. But I will try my best to note a few pros that were still relevant by the time of my departure.

The people and culture are awesome- If you enjoy a place where you could and would actually want to hang out with coworkers outside of work, this is that place.

Culture- pay is not everything. ADC puts in a lot of work in creating a great working atmosphere and planning many fun and enjoyable events.

Very trendy tech- Just look at all of the buzz around IoT and smart homes in the press. This is a great launch pad for roles in the future and amazing to put on your CV.

Autonomy- I found that a lot of my work had a lot of autonomy which was very nice (however, that trend was diminishing over time)

Non-government tech in DC- So you want to work for a true tech company in the DC area, and not work in the government sector... Well of course you're reading this, ADC is on a short list ; )

Cons

Okay, again, this comes from the view of my last few months at the firm:

Advancement- If you want to advance beyond your current role (or beyond that), you should have joined 3+ years ago. They are going to hire middle and top management from outside the company (probably old friends of the executives) and that's just how things are going to be. Period. It's not that those outside hires are going to necessarily be bad, some are, some aren't, but those roles are not going to you. You will work until you realize the gig they are playing, then you will leave, write a Glassdoor review, and then get replaced by the next guy/gal and the cycle will continue.

Compensation- I left for a job with fewer hours and more than twice the pay. This is in no way an exaggeration. Now, to be fair, my experience with those stats is not at all the norm. But given my time and impact to the firm, it highlights just how intense of an effect year after year of small incremental raises can have on your salary. I was working so hard and for so long, I simply didn't realize how much the skills I built would go for in the market until I searched. Pease don't be the next person here or anywhere else to stay too long.

Sentiment- the two above things create one big issue, discontent. As a poorly formed analogy, working for ADC is like Dorthy going into Oz: First you just get your bearings figuring out where you are (like any company), then you meet some great people who all want to work together and reach a common goal, but then you realize this place is not what you thought it was and you want to get out. This manifests itself in lots of young employees who are hard working and supper happy with the culture and lots of older employees (2+ years, so not actually old) disgruntled but holding on hope that "soon things will be better here."

Advice to Management

Read Starbucks 2015 letter to Shareholders. Look at how Starbucks talks about their employees and then follows up with clear and measurable actions. Now compare their turnover rate to that of other coffee and retail shops. There is a clear lesson for ADC there.

I know you in Management read these reviews. I know the cons I mentioned are a big problem for you and I know some people are probably loosing sleep about it. Good. There are people who provide for their families in the expensive DC metro area and try to build their carriers at ADC. These things matter. Please don't hold another HR talk or send out a vapid company news letter about this, you've done it before and everyone knows it for the lip service that it is.

Please actually take some steps and address these items; not words, a plan. Create an industry compensation matching scheme or a career growth plan for employees with goals and milestones, or something like that. There are so many options, and a hundreds of books, consultants, and similar companies you can look to for help here. ADC is special, but you are still a company. You are not above dealing with compensation and career track development. You can't "great culture" your way out of facing this. Don't give another talk; take action. That's all there is to it. Anything less (given the mountain of evidence and feedback you have) is simply willful ignorance.

"Best Place I Have Ever Worked!"

Current Employee - Team Lead Support Operations in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Team Lead Support Operations in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Best Team I have ever worked with including managers, peers, and employees in general. Everyone one is motivated to work at a high level day in and and day out. Everyone is looking out for each other and has your best interest in mind.

- Great challenges everyday that keep you constantly learning and growing. I have learned more in this role than all my previous roles combined I would say.

- Top workplace for a reason, culture is like no other position I worked before, incredibly collaborative, interesting, fun, and challenging.

- Being a Leader, I know I have influence on many decisions that go towards the overall goals of the company.

- Growing company which means you have opportunities that may not even be currently there right now, but you have the ability to pave your way if you work hard enough.

- No matter who you are your idea is listened to.

- Let's not forget about the sweet technology we get to use on a daily basis.

Cons

I honestly don't have anything to say poorly about Alarm.com. I have been here almost 2 years and have enjoyed my job everyday no matter how much I had on my plate.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to everyone and anyone to stay fresh and keep doing what you are doing. Great job!

"Trying to look for a silver lining. Honestly feel punished for doing well."

Current Employee - Dealer Support Operations Associate in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Dealer Support Operations Associate in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, work environment, culture.
    Personal desk space.
    Understanding management.
    Training and resources are vast
    Plenty of room to grow within.

Cons

Communication is lacking from some departments.
    If you're a contingent you really are punished for working as hard or if not harder than others.
    HR doesn't seem to care about you if you fall into temp/contingent category.
    Can be overwhelming at times.

Advice to Management

If you choose to use recruiting companies again, please make sure details are known and effectively communicated to all parties. This has been the most frustrating experience ever with a company and believe me when I say this I really want to love it here.

"Such a cool place to work"

Current Employee - Support Operations Lead in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Support Operations Lead in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, friendly co-workers, fun environment, cool technology.
    There is a big focus on employee happiness and making sure that happiness gets translated to customer satisfaction.

Cons

There is a LOT to learn, but nothing overwhelming. Three are a ton of different products that are offered through the company avid if can feel a little daunting sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Experienced Engineer Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Great co-workers. Everyone is very willing to extend their help to others, especially the QE's are very helpful to us. Everyone in the company is quite friendly and easy to talk to.

2. If you're a very social person, you will like the different things that happen at the office apart from work. There is a group called soco which does some fun events.

3. Office space is pretty decent and calm. Not a modern look that everyone thinks it is, but good enough. There is a very good staircase that connects all four floors internally. The office is still a maze due to it's weird structure.

4. A very good place for college graduates to work right after college but after 2-3 years if you're still doing the same thing you did in your first year, which is the case for most of them, then you should re-think about your career path. If you've done your part and worked hard but still in the same position with lower avg pay, then better to move on because the company does not want to pay more and you're just doing want they want. They don't seem to encourage engineers to move up in ranks.

5. The engineering teams try to get new tools and improve the work environment constantly when needed.

Cons

1. It's been four years since I've joined Alarm.com and there were a lot of changes that happened mostly for the good of the company and it's growth. During this growth I felt the company lost some of the core values which made me join in the first place. Though I had a better offer I joined here because I saw a potential of growth personally and few things that I genuinely thought to be cool as an engineer in a company. As an example we had innovation week's once every 3 months and you get to do something innovative in your line of work but that's not the case anymore, it's been a year almost since we had a "real" innovation week. For some reason it was decided not to do them that often. I strongly believe that innovation or creativity's roots lie in freedom and when you don't have the time to do such stuff you kind of hit a monotony in your work, which is bad because it makes you less interested and bored.

2. The parking garage finally made it to the list. Every floor has 6 speed bumps, 2 small & 4 large(in height). I wouldn't mind the small ones but the 4 large ones no matter how slow you go, it feels like you're driving over a large rock. On an average it takes 5 mins to park your car and even more to go out in the evenings, let's say 8 mins till you hit the road. It's 13 mins a day, 260 mins a month. This ends up to be 2 days and 4 hours. It's a little depressing and funny to me that I'm spending 2 days and 4 hours just for entering and exiting the garage in a year. Everyone in the company complains about the garage.

3. The pay is low, the hikes aren't that great. If you can compare using Glassdoor you might find for yourself. I found out that I was getting almost less than an average engineer in the tysons area. When I joined I had a number where I thought I'd be in 4 years and I'm no way close to that. This isn't a company that gives great hikes so if you're expecting good raises then this is not your company. It's a good pay for new comers but after 1-2 years you shouldn't be surprised that people who joined after you are getting more than you though they are fresh graduates.

4. The hierarchy is very weird. Very few people get promoted. You can see that in both the Software and Quality teams there are very few people or none who were promoted. Many people who joined long ago are still in the same position that they initially joined in. It is not that they are performing bad because I haven't seen any bad performing engineer at Alarm.com which the company should be very proud of for hiring such engineers. It's just that the HR/managers or whoever is responsible of this process isn't giving it a thought because they might be busy with their usual job duties and this subject is something that they don't think about unless a performance review comes up. Honestly I can't blame any department but there should be some set guidelines and the HR should be a more proactive about things like these.

5. Traffic around the office is really bad no matter what road you want to take. You can't leave in between 4:30 and 6 PM, it will take a good 10 mins(+8 mins garage time) to just get onto international drive or Leesburg pike.

6. Every month the company selects an employee of the month or something similar and whoever gets selected they get a parking spot for a month on level one. I'm still not sure how to react to this.....an employees effort and dedication should not be rewarded with a parking spot for a month. Give something more which is helpful to the individual.

7. Lack of proper documentation and requirements from the PM's or whoever is responsible. We end up giving to them by asking a ton of questions, writing something up rather than they giving to us, for new projects.

8. Very old version control. Waiting for the day it migrates to Git.

New people joining in the company should think about what their goals, career growth will be in the company after 2-3 years of joining the company rather than thinking about the immediate year. Your personal goals and career growth will sink in between the company's poorly managed teams and the monotonous work. The work load isn't high but it's just that you'll get bored if you're a very ambitious & techie person.

Advice to Management

Irrespective of what team/project employees work in, they should be fairly compensated to the market value and experience.